Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #346
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Is that a 530? If so great bike, been passed by many of them. My point is I have ridden in 1,000 mile chunks several time without a pickup.

Kind of like walking highwire without a net.

I have a buddy, who went from a KLR to a KTM 530. Not used to all that power, he looped it on Mengle Pass in Death Valley. Injured himself enough he quit riding. So they are dangerous too. But he had a pickup.

540 RFS.

2300 mile 11 day trip. Changed the oil after 900 miles and 4 days.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #347
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Next time I get wasted, I'm starting a thread called "Why do KTM's suck in maintenance."
Old 12-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #348
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
What more can ya ask?

How about a KLR that isn't a neon green?

Old 12-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #349
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Next time I get wasted, I'm starting a thread called "Why do KTM's suck in maintenance."
Yeah but that's easy to answer: It's worth it!

Quote:
That is quite a project. http://www.dirttricks.com/rfs_in_new_frame.htm

Not sure which side it supports.
No, it's a 2007 which was RFS in the first place (the last year). The 540 is just a bigger cylinder and piston that the previous owner put on, and I wasn't one to say "Oh no sir that's more power than I want "
Old 12-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #350
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYZ View Post
This is true. I've been telling people that I rode for five days and about 1,100 miles to get to this spot, but the guilt is eating me up and I need to confess that my truck is actually parked at the bottom of this hill.

I made it to the top of the hill before my "Change valves" light came on and took this picture while coasting down.
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #351
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
Quote:
Is that a 530? If so great bike, been passed by many of them. My point is I have ridden in 1,000 mile chunks several time without a pickup.

Kind of like walking highwire without a net.

I have a buddy, who went from a KLR to a KTM 530. Not used to all that power, he looped it on Mengle Pass in Death Valley. Injured himself enough he quit riding. So they are dangerous too. But he had a pickup.
i love this thread

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #352
RoberTx
Blind man ridin'

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
Dude you can't possibly be serrious! Any time I get out in the woods KTMs are just as common as Jap bikes & if you actually go to an enduro or a hare scramble, you will drown in a sea of orange cuz KTMs will out number EVERYTHING else by FAAAAAR.

I have a KTM & a KLR, & I LOVE them both! You just gotta realize that the KLR is a "utilitarian" bike & the KTM is a "race" bike. I have the most fun I've EVER had on a motorcycle on my KTM & the KLR does suck in H.P.. However, if I could only have ONE bike, I'd keep the KLR just because it is so practicle.
I am trolling dick measuring pricks who think the price, complexity or the horsepower of their motorcycle is a direct measurement of their intelligence and manhood.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #353
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoberTx View Post
I am a trolling dick
Whoa. Usually they pretend otherwise for few pages, but if you want to give up early, that's cool too.

Quote:
Price
Paid less for my KTM than my KLR

Quote:
Complexity
The KTM has less cams, less counterbalancers (and the mechanism driving the counterbalancer doesn't explode), less tools required for most maintenance tasks and the wheel spacers don't fall off.

Quote:
Horsepower
You win this one. Power's fun.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #354
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,915
No comment; just some scripture follows.

Kawasaki 26:11 (KJV):
Quote:
For ye have the effete KTM snobs always with you . . .
(It's in the Book!)
Old 12-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #355
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,284
Quote:
The only bikes I see in the wilderness are Kawasaki KLRs, KLXs and Suzuki DRs, Honda XRs and Yamahas. The KTMs and BMWs and all the expen$ive bikes seem to congregate around established riding areas, pre-mapped and manicured trails and tourist traps, The big BMWs all have knobbies worn flat down the center from conquering the interstate. I'm not putting them down, if I had a motorcycle that cost as much as a car and was equally complicated I wouldn't want to risk it out in the middle of nowhere either.
This is so awesome I had to quote it.

"You look just like a hog, boy!"
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #356
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:
The only bikes I see in the wilderness are Kawasaki KLRs, KLXs and Suzuki DRs, Honda XRs and Yamahas. The KTMs and BMWs and all the expen$ive bikes seem to congregate around established riding areas, pre-mapped and manicured trails and tourist traps, The big BMWs all have knobbies worn flat down the center from conquering the interstate. I'm not putting them down, if I had a motorcycle that cost as much as a car and was equally complicated I wouldn't want to risk it out in the middle of nowhere either.
What wilderness? 95% of all TX dirt is privately owned.

We dont have any

some electrons were mildly inconvenienced in the sending of this message
Old 12-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #357
beergut OP
Thumper

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
We are now 2 days shy of a weeks filled entertainment. It's been much better than anticipated.

DIY rear top rack
Old 12-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #358
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
What wilderness? 95% of all TX dirt is privately owned.

We dont have any

some electrons were mildly inconvenienced in the sending of this message
Really? Is it that bad? Damn, no wonder you like the KTM's, with no real dirt to hit, accelerations about the only thrill left.

I live at the foot of the Sierra's, on the border of the mountains and desert, I have more riding than I'll ever be able to completely explore in my lifetime.....I feel bad for you guys with dual sports and nowhere to ride them. For my kind of riding I only use a fraction of the available hp now, so more would really just be overkill. I take day rides off into places so isolated, and without cell service, that I'd be screwed if I got hurt so bad I couldn't get myself back out.....I wouldn't see another person for days, if that.
So my riding is pretty mellow speedwise, although I do like a good techinical hillclimb

For my street acceleration I either jump on my 270rwhp turbo zx14, my modded busa, or take my drag set-up gsxr-1100 to the local strip. There's no point in me personally having the money tied up into a mega-hp dualsport, because nothing is going to feel fast compared to what I'm used to riding on the street, and in the dirt its more about torque for my riding style. I'm not the dirt racer type...more of a crawl around and enjoy the scenery type of guy

I have always wondered why guys try to take a thumper, sumo it out, and try to get more power out of it for the street, when its way easier and more effective to pick up a 600cc sportbike with twice the power and acceleration stock.....or a literbike or bigger if you really want your thumper to feel anemic
If you want a faster bike on the pavement, why fiddle with an engine design that was never meant for high hp brutal street acceleration, and just jump right to the engines designs that are?

Being a high hp sportbike rider forever, I guess I never really got the whole sumo thing...I admit I need to ride one properly set-up tho before I make a final judgement
Old 12-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #359
jeepsandbikes
loneadventurer

Oddometer: 113
[QUOTE=itsatdm;20236434]Ihttp://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835953QUOTE]
only dropped once on sand ...
sounds like a salesman ..... only dropped once in sand on sunday by a little old lady taking the long way to bingo
Old 12-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #360
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone14s View Post
The story of the rabbit and the hare comes to mind here. KLR my not be fast but it will still be going when the higher end bikes are sitting it the shops for there tune ups. That and it will carry all your gear to boot.

The KLR has been around for a long time and will be when most of the other bikes have faded away to the shadows. That's just a plan fact.
that's just plain speculation.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
Closed Thread