ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #76
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
Except, son, a KTM is not a Lambo. Not even close.

Nowadays, a KTM is like an Acura. But you "head in the sand, sky is falling" types will never (thankfully) realize that. You deserve to ride the fattest, slowest, ugliest bitch on the fireroad.

And a KLR was never in Civic territory. More like a Yugo. A Civic you can successfully upgrade.

I entered this conversation on a civil note, but when you double-digit IQ types start with the lies and misconceptions about KTMs, it tends to draw my ire.

Reap what you sow.
Ok, how about this...

KLR is a Camry (#1 selling in it's category)
KTM is Farrari (winning most of the races)

Can we agree yet?

Regardless, I enjoy the fact that you completely ignored the 2 points I was making, before my little (flawed) analogy.
__________________
2008 990 Adventure
2008 WR250R
www.Mikef5000.com
Mikef5000 is offline  
Old 12-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #77
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
not worth it...

seriously a little objectiveness never hurts...

I find it funny when somebody that has real world experience on BOTH ends of the spectrum you see very little objective banter and opinions regarding his/her experience...

as soon as somebody says something extremist on one end or the other people start yelling and getting all high and mighty

lastly

the last pics comparing a very rare and broken klr frame in the desert with a full out racing galouises ktm racing bike shows just how inmature and desperate to make a point some of us can get to doing...

in any case

there are points positive and negative of having all types of bikes, no bike is perfect and no bike does it all, why some people dont understand that is beyond me, as is bashing a bike for having too little hp versus having too much for example

you never see people bashing a cr500 for having too much brute hp back in the day! other than awing at its brute power, it would be just as dumb or extreme to say that that bike is PERFECT for everything.

in my humble opinion nothing will ever be perfect...much less a human on a forum! jajajajaja

so relax peeps!
elsalvadorklr is offline  
Old 12-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #78
Off the grid
Chaotic Good
 
Off the grid's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: That buzzing in your earhole, NorCal.
Oddometer: 9,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Ok, how about this...

KLR is a Camry (#1 selling in it's category)
KTM is Farrari (winning most of the races)

Can we agree yet?

Regardless, I enjoy the fact that you completely ignored the 2 points I was making, before my little (flawed) analogy.
You are missing the point entirely. The point is that in your mind, a KTM is some sort of exotic, high-zoot, high-strung race machine.

The real-world reality is the exact opposite. It is very workmanship and tractor-like, and put together by engineers that knew what they were doing.

There's a reason why almost everyone rides them.

Hey, there's a place in the offroad world for a KLR, and I've seen them do some things that defy logic, but when people start slinging outright lies on KTMs, I tend to have a problem with that.

I'm here to educate people.
__________________
Wedding(s) = $30,000
Divorce(s) = $25,000
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS = Priceless
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline  
Old 12-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #79
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
There's a reason why almost everyone rides them [KTMs].
I'm not missing the point, I'm missing your point... because I think it's flawed.

But I love this (quoted) part...

KLR is the best selling Dual Purpose bike for what... 7 years now? Which I stated a bit earlier, but you ignored because it goes against everything you're trying say. Not a single KTM is even on the list of 10 best selling Dual Purpose Bikes in the USA.

But somehow almost everyone rides KTM's.

Perhaps you mean in the race world everyone rides KTM's... but then again someone just tried to educate me on how KTM's aren't high strung race machines.

Well shit, now I'm confused again.

And Good for you elsalvadorklr for trying to keep the peace. I agree with you 100%.
__________________
2008 990 Adventure
2008 WR250R
www.Mikef5000.com
Mikef5000 is offline  
Old 12-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #80
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA, 94102
Oddometer: 830


"Anyone who says they don't like the KLR, just doesn't like motorcycles ..."



God bless KTM!

Fun thread ...

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
PS: not sure who's in the pic, poached from the race forum ...
__________________
caryandjohn.blog: Baja, KLR, & '73 Tiger Ride Reports
San Francisco Motorcycle Club, Est. 1904
Let's Ride!: BAARC and Old's Cool Ride Reports Index
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline  
Old 12-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #81
Idle
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Northern California
Oddometer: 601
I was sitting outside at in-n-out burger one day and 3 guys stopped at my bike to check it out. I kept my mouth shut as I was eating and didn't want to claim it as my bike.

The conversation went something like this.

That's a cool bike, it's like one of those KLR's!! Id like to get one one day.
Yeah it's like a dirtbike with a license plate..You can go anywhere on that bike..
Some guys put a gps up here... Shows them all the trails and everything..
Those tires look like they would be slippery in the rain..
Nawww, they ride these things around the world!

And on and on... I didn't dare say a word. My adventure ride that day was to get lunch..

It was a humbling experience and just thought I'd share.

Said "KLR" is a Husaberg 650. It's got over 14,000 miles on it, with no major breakdowns. I guess technically I could have ridden it from Deadhorse to Panama and back. I'd just need to change the oil every day, and stand up most of the time.


Idle is online now  
Old 12-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #82
RandoCommando
Wannabe
 
RandoCommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Philthadelphia, Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
KLR riders making fun of KTMs is the epitome of hilarity. Give it a rest, guys. Your bike sucks, and is the laughingstock of the off-road community for over a decade now.

Reading Striking Vikings book, (who rode a KLR down and around South America) I was amazed by how many times he mentioned he had no brakes on a downhill, no power to go through a headwind or pass South American vehicles, and grenaded his engine, electronics and suspension multiple times. Not to mention the shitty suspension thrashed his back.

"Indestructible" KLR.

Yet he forgets to tell you how old this KLR is, how many miles it has travelled, where it has travelled, and what condition the bike is in now.
Put back together and still running strong.
Read about it here.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843744
__________________
1999 KLR 650 (her name is KLaRissa) DOOHICKEY DONE!
2013 BMW F800GS (her name is FranGelicaS)
Please. Ride careful, ride safe, ride defensively! This thread should be mandatory reading!
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline  
Old 12-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #83
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis
 
Ragin Rabbi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Western Maryland
Oddometer: 4,984
Where is that pic of the dude that had his steering stem sheer off on the KTM?

I love the 640 Adv. would love to own one. But can't swing it financially. My modded KLR (suspension only) will have to do.
__________________
Each according to their need, each according to their ability.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is online now  
Old 12-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #84
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist
 
CodyY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Oddometer: 9,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
Except, son, a KTM is not a Lambo. Not even close.
Shows what you know about Lambo's





just sayin'
__________________
Not an ACTUAL motorcyclist
CodyY is online now  
Old 12-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #85
LordMDP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LordMDP's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Dahlonega Ga
Oddometer: 116
I love my KLR

but I would not say the bike itself is fun--its boring

but for the adventures it can take you and what it can do--its priceless



I have a XR680R supermoto when I want to have fun (315lbs,68hp )
__________________
max perethian

wera ex #308
LordMDP is offline  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #86
beergut OP
Thumper
 
beergut's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Indiana
Oddometer: 413
beergut is offline  
Old 12-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #87
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 2,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
Your bike sucks, and is the laughingstock of the off-road community for over a decade now.
Off the grid, you prove you can be snide, condescending, and dismissive; can you not also be ACCURATE?

"Over a decade" appears an imprecise approximation of 26 years of fundamentally unchanged KLR650 production.

Try, "over a GENERATION," when next you bash KLR650's, upgrading your screed with a unit of time more exactly corresponding to the interval you wish to portray!

Can you not grant KLR650's even their just credit for actual time served as, "laughingstock of the off-road community?" Surely, someone of your obvious intellect and sophistication distinguishes between "decade," and "generation." If not, ask a KLR650 rider to explain for you the difference.

XDragRacer is offline  
Old 12-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #88
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Corner of Kanc and Bear Notch
Oddometer: 177
maybe Off the grid...

...needs to read what's under his username.
Not worth worrying about man. Move on. It ain't personal, you don't get it. I don't either, why get upset about it?
lobolator is online now  
Old 12-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #89
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer
 
VxZeroKnots's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Durango CO
Oddometer: 2,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
KLR riders making fun of KTMs is the epitome of hilarity. Give it a rest, guys. Your bike sucks, and is the laughingstock of the off-road community for over a decade now.

Reading Striking Vikings book, (who rode a KLR down and around South America) I was amazed by how many times he mentioned he had no brakes on a downhill, no power to go through a headwind or pass South American vehicles, and grenaded his engine, electronics and suspension multiple times. Not to mention the shitty suspension thrashed his back.

"Indestructible" KLR.

Sorry, this shit is just too good not to quote at least one more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I'm not missing the point, I'm missing your point... because I think it's flawed.

But I love this (quoted) part...

KLR is the best selling Dual Purpose bike for what... 7 years now? Which I stated a bit earlier, but you ignored because it goes against everything you're trying say. Not a single KTM is even on the list of 10 best selling Dual Purpose Bikes in the USA.

But somehow almost everyone rides KTM's.

Perhaps you mean in the race world everyone rides KTM's... but then again someone just tried to educate me on how KTM's aren't high strung race machines.

Well shit, now I'm confused again.

And Good for you elsalvadorklr for trying to keep the peace. I agree with you 100%.
Just because a lot of people buy them doesn't make them good. I ran into a group of guys, some on KLR's, at the intersection of HWY1 and the paved road that goes out to Santa Rosalillita in Baja Norte. They had just taken the dirt ROAD that came down from Puertocitos and one of their bikes had been dropped and broken off a footpeg, another had a blown shock, the XR650L in the group seemed alright.

I had just ridden the pacfic coastal road to Bahia Corbin which was mostly gnarly two track and silt beds from Catavina out to the coast and then down before coming back in, about 170 miles of rough terrain. The only carnage to my KTM 640 was a slight oil leak on account of a cheap o-ring sealing the rocker shaft to the rocker cover. I first noticed it around Kelso CA as I had ridden from PHX AZ to Pismo Beach CA, where I changed my oil and cleaned my air filter. I then rode all the way to that intersection and then back to Tucson criss crossing the peninsula and riding more gnarly dirt before my next oil change and checking my valves which hadn't moved since before the trip started. I finally replaced that o-ring about 8 months later when I got tired of cleaning off the side of the jug. That was the extent of the mechanical failures of my fragile race bike KTM during my time owning it. and it wasn't for a lack of dropping the bike, I did plenty of that.

Any one who says modern KTM's are fragile and pure race bikes clearly knows nothing about them and are easily identifiable to anyone who has. KLR's sell a ton because they are affordable and fill a do-it-all-good-enough niche, there ain't anything wrong with that. If you can meet all your needs with a KLR then it doesn't make sense to pay for more bike, but it doesn't make any sense to knock on the manufacture of the most bad ass dependable dual sports on the planet.
__________________
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.


VxZeroKnots screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 06:18 PM
VxZeroKnots is offline  
Old 12-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #90
bomber1965
Duel
 
bomber1965's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 2,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post

Except, son, a KTM is not a Lambo. Not even close.




bomber1965 is offline  
Closed Thread

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014