Old 06-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #1129
gsweave OP
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsBro View Post
I'll try and track you down too.
Might try a swig of pie

well sir step on up. Maggie and I will be easy to find.

is Keith ready to travel?
Old 06-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #1130
Hawk
Bainned

Oddometer: 16,089
Quote:
I'll try and track you down too.
Might try a swig of pie
You will regret this

gsweave

Old 06-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #1131
GregsBro
a.k.a. Scott

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsweave View Post
well sir step on up. Maggie and I will be easy to find.

is Keith ready to travel?
Talked to him today he took a short ride on his Harley today and said he's feeling good but still gets tired pretty quick. But done with his treatments so maybe He'll be able to make an appearance at BYOB.
He just got a new granddaughter last week so things are looking up.:)
GregsBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #1132
gsweave OP
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Quote:
Talked to him today he took a short ride on his Harley today and said he's feeling good but still gets tired pretty quick. But done with his treatments so maybe He'll be able to make an appearance at BYOB.
He just got a new granddaughter last week so things are looking up.:)

Good to hear...

Grand babies always sweeten the pot

He is in our prayers
Old 06-16-2013, 05:24 AM   #1133
Mark_O
Drain Bamaged

Oddometer: 14,561
Somebody PM me and let me know what's up with Keith, if you don't want to make it public.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #1134
GregsBro
a.k.a. Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_O View Post
Somebody PM me and let me know what's up with Keith, if you don't want to make it public.
sent
Old 06-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #1135
Laconic
Gaulded

Oddometer: 15,658
Scott, tell Keith I send my regards and hope he continues to improve.

Thanks!
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #1136
GregsBro
a.k.a. Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post

Thanks!
:
Old 06-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #1137
Mark_O
Drain Bamaged

Oddometer: 14,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post

Thanks!
Same goes for me.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #1138
snowman318
Future Corpse

Oddometer: 1,030
Does anyone know do the tee-pees have a fire ring, or should we figure on cooking at the pavillian?
I'm starting to get the itch for this trip, (the good itch) Not the bad one when you leave one of these events.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674788
http://sevenmountainsconservationcorp.com/
snowman318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #1139
gsweave OP
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman318 View Post
Does anyone know do the tee-pees have a fire ring, or should we figure on cooking at the pavillian?
I'm starting to get the itch for this trip, (the good itch) Not the bad one when you leave one of these events.

snowman

I believe that each site has a fire ring.

Where the hell is your primus stove

The Moran Nation happens to posses a certain device that will cook food instantly in a flash of brilliant light.

Ask Hawk and the Butt brothers nicely and I am sure they will see to all of your food cooking needs

gsweave screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 04:54 PM
gsweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #1140
HappyRiding
Wandering Moran

Oddometer: 2,972
It has been almost a year now since we lost Robble. For those unfamiliar, Master Sgt Robert Cannon was killed along with three of his crew mates when their C-130 crashed fighting the White Draw Fire in South Dakota last July. Robbie was a friend to every Inmate he ever met.

The White Draw Memorial Fund has been established to pay for the upkeep of the memorial located near the site of the fire. Would anyone be offended if we passed a hat at BYOB to make a donation to the fund? I can hand deliver a check to the bank in Custer next month. I plan to donate what I can regardless but if some of you would like to kick in a bit, that would be great.

An article from The Charlotte Observer:

From their ranks, strangers salute North Carolina airmen

By Mark Washburn mwashburn@charlotteobserver.com

Posted: Tuesday, Apr. 30, 2013 A modest memorial will soon rise in the rugged scrublands of South Dakota’s famed Black Hills, a tribute to four Charlotte airmen who died battling a wildfire last year.

But the site will be symbolic of something more: intangible bonds that connect those in service to their country, the invisible union that knots strangers for all their days.

That part of the story began last summer, after a Charlotte-based, N.C. Air National Guard C-130 crashed July 1 while dumping flame retardant on what was known as the White Draw Fire, an inferno that blackened 9,000 acres in the tinder-dry West.

Charles Najacht is publisher of the Custer County Chronicle, a weekly with a circulation of about 2,000. He is also retired military – he spent 31 years in the Army National Guard, retiring as a colonel.

“They came here to help us and they lost their lives doing it,” Najacht says. “Whenever anything like this happens, the Guard community comes together.”

Killed in the crash were Lt. Col. Paul Mikeal of Mooresville, Maj. Joseph McCormick of Belmont, Maj. Ryan David of Boone, and Senior Master Sgt. Robert Cannon of Charlotte. Seriously hurt were Chief Master Sgt. Andy Huneycutt and Sgt. Josh Marlowe, who were in the rear of the aircraft.

After the crash, Najacht wrote an editorial for the Chronicle suggesting that something be done to remember the strangers who fell from the sky:

The six risked their lives trying to save lives and property by fighting the White Draw Fire from the air. The least we can do is recognize their valiant efforts and memorialize their names, lest we forget the high cost they paid.

It just seems like the right thing for us to do.

Action came quickly

Najacht’s editorial got results.

In weeks, officials from the Black Hills National Forest and South Dakota National Guard were standing beside South Dakota Highway 18, about 5 miles north of Edgemont, where the White Draw Fire began when a motor home caught fire. Najacht says you can still see the burn marks there on the road.

They decided to build a gravel pull-off next to the two-lane highway with space for five or six cars. Two signs would go up: one about the historic fire, the other commemorating the fallen airmen.

With the Forest Service donating the land and National Guard doing the grading, it wouldn’t cost much – about $2,500.

Najacht put in $100 of his own money, quickly matched by Lynn Kolund, a Navy veteran and Hell Canyon district ranger for the Black Hills National Forest.

Najacht then appealed to his readers to donate what they could:

We urge everyone to consider donating what they can to this most worthy cause. … This air crew came a long way to help us in our time of need and four of them gave their lives. … A “thank you” hardly seems sufficient.

His words reached far

Hank Whitney spent 24 years in the Air Force, retiring as a captain. He spent an additional 20 years working for the government at the National Security Agency at Fort Meade, Md.

As a Russian linguist, Whitney spent a good chunk of his Cold War military service aboard C-130s, skirting the boundaries of the Soviet Union to intercept communications.

Now 72, he spends most of the year in his home in Custer and winters in Arizona. He was there when his Custer County Chronicle arrived in the mail with the appeal for donations.

“It immediately struck my heart when I saw the article. I knew we needed to get this rolling,” Whitney says.

“I called Charley Najacht from Arizona. I told him I’d flown on C-130s and asked how much they’d gotten. He said, ‘Well, we only have $200 so far.’ People around the area here in Custer have good hearts, but for a lot of the people it’s not the high-rent district,” Whitney says.

“Well, you know, this country has been good to me. I told him I’d make up whatever shortfalls.”

Whitney mailed a check that day for $2,300.

Project goes on

On May 13, work will begin at the site. When completed, visitors will be able to look 4 miles northwest to the mesa where the plane was found.

On July 1, the anniversary of the crash, the memorial will be dedicated. Families of the fallen have been invited along with other dignitaries, including South Dakota Gov. Dennis Daugaard, who last July ordered flags across his state to fly at half staff to honor the airmen.

All that’s left to do is find some money for upkeep of the site, which will be tended to by volunteer firefighters from Edgemont.

If necessary, Whitney told Najacht, he’ll pay for it himself. He knows something about invisible bonds.

Whitney came home safely from all his missions. He knew men who didn’t.

WANT TO HELP?

If you want to donate for upkeep of the Black Hills memorial to N.C. Air National Guard members, you can send a check to:

White Draw Memorial Fund, First Interstate Bank, 648 Mount Rushmore Road, Custer, S.D., 57730.