Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #16
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Does the CDI care what kind of voltage is running in from the source coil and trigger? I ask because while many CDI are wired in a manner similar to that schematic shown earlier, many bikes have different specs regarding the stator coil windings.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:08 AM   #17
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
Does the CDI care what kind of voltage is running in from the source coil and trigger? I ask because while many CDI are wired in a manner similar to that schematic shown earlier, many bikes have different specs regarding the stator coil windings.
99% of the time, the cdi just cares if it's ac or dc. .
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #18
speedshop
n00b

Oddometer: 2
CDi

I'd say you'd be lucky to find a unit from a different bike that runs on another. The Japanese toyed with the idea of producing a 'one box fits all' in the early 1970's however they quickly realised their folly and set about coming up with as many devices as possible to prevent one unit working on another bike.

True there are so many different boxes out there you may find one that runs on a different machine but its a shear fluke if it runs 100% OK.

I've lost count how many CDi boxes I've taken apart over the years and there are as many different designs of 5, 6, 7, 8 or 11 wire Cdi units as there are bikes. There is no one set up that gives any advantage over another so its very clear this has been done to ensure you must have a specific box for that bike.

Its different for the racing bikes never intended for the road market where what works best is king, you wont find all these silly different designs!
speedshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #19
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
If you look on Ebay you will see 5 pin and 6 pin CDI units, intended for pit bikes. The 5 pin CDI is an AC unit, intended to work on bikes where the CDI is powered by an AC coil within the stator. The 6 pin type are for DC systems, where the CDI is powered from a battery.

As long as you have the right one (AC or DC), and its wired correctly these units will work on almost all bikes. The value of the capacitor inside the unit, determines at what RPM the spark advances, and in many cases the pit bike units advance earlier, which tends to work well if you have things like higher compression or different cams.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote