Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #16
EricD10563 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by husqzilla View Post
... if any have gotten this far .

The reason the Motor Company sells so many of them is because people really like them.

What's so hard to understand about that???
Exactly, if you go by the numbers, HP, 1/4 mile, weight, etc.. I guess there are so many better bikes; but these bikes make me feel good, much like my 1976 CB750F did and when I got that in 1980 it was considered a dog too. I really want to own another SOHC CB750F oneday: BTW had it for 20 years (no room gave it away in 2000), along with a 1985 V65 Sabre (sold in 2009) I guess I never truly went modern.

The Glide is already racking up some miles,

In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 92k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #17
ERD
Custom Rider

Oddometer: 309
Nice Limited! There are several ways to deal with the heat between the legs. You can remove the two lowers that are mounted in front of the knees on the engine guard. In warm weather, the lowers limits the airflow to the engine. You can also limit the heat from the cat by "breaking" the materials inside the cat. One of the best option is to retune your engine to run richer. The stock ECM runs lean for emission purpose. By retuning/replacing/adding to the ECM to run richer, you reduce the engine heat dramatically. You will lose a bit of MPG, but rewarded with better throttle response, as well as the heat reduction.
ERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #18
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD View Post
Nice Limited! There are several ways to deal with the heat between the legs. You can remove the two lowers that are mounted in front of the knees on the engine guard. In warm weather, the lowers limits the airflow to the engine. You can also limit the heat from the cat by "breaking" the materials inside the cat. One of the best option is to retune your engine to run richer. The stock ECM runs lean for emission purpose. By retuning/replacing/adding to the ECM to run richer, you reduce the engine heat dramatically. You will lose a bit of MPG, but rewarded with better throttle response, as well as the heat reduction.
+1

Another big heat reducer is a ceramic coated header pipe.
Fuelmoto can do the Power Vision tuner, air cleaner pipe, touring cam and Jackpot slipons that
will get you a cooler and much faster running bike with an extra 20 bhp and ftlbs of torque.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/fuel-m...-mufflers-137/

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon

bobobob screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 09:23 AM
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #19
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Don't take off your lowers. Close them off. Open an inch one way or the other will yield surprising results in hot weather. It will also keep air moving across the jugs in a predictable manner.
You won't get the water cooled engine temps. Just won't happen, but it will be amazingly cooler that wide open.

Cheers
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #20
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 795
I agree, you don't need to remove the lowers even in 100 degree temps but I'd run a good quality synth oil (not starting an oil debate).
The Jackpot header does wonders and while a ceramic coating would be sweet I have it without and having ridden a ceramic bike back to back you can't tell a difference between them (bikes were both ultra limited, a 10 and my 11).

I did add a vented windshield which is nice in the really hot weather and may or may not help with the air void behind the fairing.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #21
royal
Don't Follow

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
I agree, you don't need to remove the lowers even in 100 degree temps but I'd run a good quality synth oil (not starting an oil debate).
The Jackpot header does wonders and while a ceramic coating would be sweet I have it without and having ridden a ceramic bike back to back you can't tell a difference between them (bikes were both ultra limited, a 10 and my 11).

I did add a vented windshield which is nice in the really hot weather and may or may not help with the air void behind the fairing.
What kind of vented windshield did you put on ? I have an Electra Glide and like vented shields, but I couldn't find a company that offered one.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #22
PMC
riding rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal View Post
What kind of vented windshield did you put on ? I have an Electra Glide and like vented shields, but I couldn't find a company that offered one.

Clearview Shields does a number of sizes and tints, with our without recurve and with or without vents. They actually use the same vent used on Goldwings, it's a nice 5 position vent that works real well. They offer it in both a low configuration or a bagger position if you have a bag set up at the bottom of your shield.
They're not cheap but are real nice. I have a shorter one for when I'm solo and a tall one for when the wife is road tripping with me as she doesn't like how much air she gets with the shorty.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #23
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,675
Congratulations on such a beautiful motorcycle.

Enjoy it for many miles to come.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #24
PMC
riding rider

Ok, need to pile on with a pic
Mine and a buddy's Ultra Limiteds on an overlook above Ouray CO this summer. Great trip, did 650 miles on our last day heading home.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #25
EricD10563 OP
Studly Adventurer

You guys are going to cost me more money, thanks for the tips. I was hoping I wouldn't have to take off the lowers, seeing the advantage even in warm weather and it sounds like I might not have to. I'm going to have to replace the shield since I can't see over it and I like too.

I know that spot outside of Ouray, I'm ready to go back.

In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 92k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
Old 12-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #26
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
As a two Road King owner, but never a faring FLH, what makes it better? I understand the miles and the "tightness" of new vs worn, but what is it about the faring? Like you I've put a lot of miles on Road Kings and have always thought the windshield did a nice job in all but the most turbulent conditions. But your post has me wondering. Thanks.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #27
EricD10563 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
As a two Road King owner, but never a faring FLH, what makes it better? I understand the miles and the "tightness" of new vs worn, but what is it about the faring? Like you I've put a lot of miles on Road Kings and have always thought the windshield did a nice job in all but the most turbulent conditions. But your post has me wondering. Thanks.
I think it’s better (or not) depending on what you want, the Batwing makes for a non-turbulent ride but at the same time it can feel somewhat isolated when compared to the RK. I didn’t have any complaints with the RK (even though it was turbulent in comparison) and still don’t it certainly felt like you were riding a motorcycle, the EG is more car like sitting back and enjoying the tunes. I’m still getting used to not being able to see my front end and I miss that. I’ve never really looked at the EG before, this one just caught my eye and it was more spur of the moment. I’m really liking the tunes, when I rode the RK I just had a different mentality even though I wore ear buds I didn’t really enjoy the music like I do on the EG. I also have the adjustable fairing air deflectors and lowers which take more wind off of me, there really is a big difference between the RK and the EG. Handling wise I think when equally compared the RK is a better handing bike, it’s lighter and not as top heavy. The EG falls into corners compared to the RK with most of its 80+ pounds of weight located high on the bike, low speed handling suffers too. BTW I’m not saying it’s a hard adjustment because it’s not, but it’s noticeable. I can flat foot this bike better than the RK because of the different stock seat.

Is it better all depends what you’re looking for, I miss the RK but I’m quite certain that the EG is going to be less fatiguing on long rides. Have put 1800 miles on it so far and I’m liking that peaceful easy feeling more and more.

Styling wise I think the RK looks better, though the EG is growing on me and with the Tour-Pac removed I think it will look as nice as the RK. JMHO

added: I do feel crosswinds and headwind more with the Batwing fairing and Tour-Pac,.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:05 AM   #28
Old Blue
Shallow waterman

Oddometer: 1,420
Very nice. Congrats!

I read all this with interest because I just bought a 13 Road King Classic that I'm absolutely loving. Maybe I'm just one bike behind you.

I've been a dual-sporter my whole riding life until now, but I can tell I'm going to love the big Harley and will actually end up riding a lot more.

Again, congrats on your new bike!
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:31 AM   #29
Advntr
Dilbert

Oddometer: 442
The 09 & up Ultra Classics are comfortable, nice handling/riding tour pigs. As large as they are twisties are still handled with ease, however you will not be putting your knee down...Since the naysayers have never ridden one they have no clue what they are missing. Having done a good deal of late september - early october long distance touring I find the majority of the motorcycles on the road are...Harley tour bikes...ridden by the non pirate variety of HD owners. Go figure.

With only 2 mods you can make it a very fine ride that eats the miles on the 2 or 4 lane with ease. Add the fork baffle and a curved windshield like the cee bailey and the buffeting becomes non existent even behind big trucks.

If you elect to use the headset you will find the voices in your head to be much better than the speakers blasting you.With a pillion adv companion you will find the intercom very useful and the cb is very helpful communicating with the big trucks esp in the rain or to get local information not available on your gps. The cb is also very entertaining as many truckers have no clue you have "ears" as they say in cb lingo; making for some interesting conversations esp when they are talking about you or motorcycles.

When some one else makes a better touring motorcycle with floor boards I will ride that motorcycle, but until then it's the American tour pig.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #30
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advntr View Post
The 09 & up Ultra Classics are comfortable, nice handling/riding tour pigs. As large as they are twisties are still handled with ease, however you will not be putting your knee down...Since the naysayers have never ridden one they have no clue what they are missing. Having done a good deal of late september - early october long distance touring I find the majority of the motorcycles on the road are...Harley tour bikes...ridden by the non pirate variety of HD owners. Go figure.

With only 2 mods you can make it a very fine ride that eats the miles on the 2 or 4 lane with ease. Add the fork baffle and a curved windshield like the cee bailey and the buffeting becomes non existent even behind big trucks.

If you elect to use the headset you will find the voices in your head to be much better than the speakers blasting you.With a pillion adv companion you will find the intercom very useful and the cb is very helpful communicating with the big trucks esp in the rain or to get local information not available on your gps. The cb is also very entertaining as many truckers have no clue you have "ears" as they say in cb lingo; making for some interesting conversations esp when they are talking about you or motorcycles.

When some one else makes a better touring motorcycle with floor boards I will ride that motorcycle, but until then it's the American tour pig.

Everything you said, #1. I'd say 80 percent of the bikes I've seen on the road on my two recent late season very cold Western trips have been Harleys. A few Wings. A tiny smattering of BMWs. But mostly big Hogs. Pirates or not, the fellas are out riding.

By the way, nice bike OP!
Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote