ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #211
wb5plj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Who takes there big bikes where people say they shouldn't? or who wants to.

The short version: Im a Jefferson City guy and Im looking to find some local riders who will help me pick up my big bike as I learn to use it off road.

The more reciprocal version: I have BMW R1200GS and I want to learn to handle it in let's say more diverse terrane my main problem is that I can likely only pick it up a small number of times in a day before I am exhausted. Not to mention if I have to pull it out of a mud bog or the likes. Getting a 250lbs bike out of the thick of it I know I can do but a 500lbs bike gives me some reservations. I know people do it without too much suffering as I have seen videos but I also noticed that they have a friend or two with big bikes as well. As I am still getting used to the bike I am sure I will drop it three or four times. hey that's how you learn.

I used to ride quite well off road but that was over two decades ago and the little venturing that I have done with the 1200 has taught me that you have to learn to ride a little different. I am sure once I learn a bit the rate of dropping will go down to a reasonable level, I have seen people take these things all over so I know the bike can do it I just need to learn.

I would feel bad to impose myself on one of the local rides you guys post on here if I was "that guy" I can almost here it "who is this guy bringing a heavy bike that he can't ride and wants us to pick up" and that is not a dig I fully understand this. Don't worry before long I will get there with my big heavy bike and be able to hold my own.

So I thought I would see if there was some others out there with big bikes and low experience off road. Ok you can have lots of experience (better for me) but Ill help you pickup your bike if you help me pickup mine. Some simple day trip to Wade Off road or Plowboy Bend or any other place we can find.

I have Tourances on my bike (duel sport tires) not knobbies, if you have a big adventure type bike I am sure you have similar and I believe they will be fine initially so you shouldn't need knobbies (at least at the beginning) though I plan to fix that in the next few months.

so how about it anyone want to learn to take your big adventure bike off road?
wb5plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #212
Hazman27
The Haz

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb5plj View Post
The short version: Im a Jefferson City guy and Im looking to find some local riders who will help me pick up my big bike as I learn to use it off road.

The more reciprocal version: I have BMW R1200GS and I want to learn to handle it in let's say more diverse terrane my main problem is that I can likely only pick it up a small number of times in a day before I am exhausted. Not to mention if I have to pull it out of a mud bog or the likes. Getting a 250lbs bike out of the thick of it I know I can do but a 500lbs bike gives me some reservations. I know people do it without too much suffering as I have seen videos but I also noticed that they have a friend or two with big bikes as well. As I am still getting used to the bike I am sure I will drop it three or four times. hey that's how you learn.

I used to ride quite well off road but that was over two decades ago and the little venturing that I have done with the 1200 has taught me that you have to learn to ride a little different. I am sure once I learn a bit the rate of dropping will go down to a reasonable level, I have seen people take these things all over so I know the bike can do it I just need to learn.

I would feel bad to impose myself on one of the local rides you guys post on here if I was "that guy" I can almost here it "who is this guy bringing a heavy bike that he can't ride and wants us to pick up" and that is not a dig I fully understand this. Don't worry before long I will get there with my big heavy bike and be able to hold my own.

So I thought I would see if there was some others out there with big bikes and low experience off road. Ok you can have lots of experience (better for me) but Ill help you pickup your bike if you help me pickup mine. Some simple day trip to Wade Off road or Plowboy Bend or any other place we can find.

I have Tourances on my bike (duel sport tires) not knobbies, if you have a big adventure type bike I am sure you have similar and I believe they will be fine initially so you shouldn't need knobbies (at least at the beginning) though I plan to fix that in the next few months.

You might want to get a hold of Honz, over at Gateway BMW (St.Louis) and or see Falling Leaf Rally, just my two cents.
Hazman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #213
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 693
I would be willing to go gravel road riding in a couple of months. Right now I am incapacitated with a broken elbow. Basketball not motorcycle related.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #214
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:

My recommendation, buy a smaller bike to learn on. Buy a used Japanese dual sport. Get in it cheap and you can't lose much after you're done with it. Maybe a DR400? Beat it up, get you sea legs as they say. The transfer those skills to the GS. Do some real off road riding. I think it makes a motorcyclist a better all around rider to learn on dirt then transfer to pavement.

I know my plan is to never drop my 950SE if at all possible.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #215
Teep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
[QUOTE=

I know my plan is to never drop my 950SE if at all possible.[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling, I planned on not dropping my F650GS also. That went away at the entrance to Big Bend NP as I rolled it up in front of the sign, stepped on a large rock, lost my balance and ease it over to the right side. Of course that was just the first time.

Garry
Teep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #216
wb5plj
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightventure View Post
I would be willing to go gravel road riding in a couple of months. Right now I am incapacitated with a broken elbow. Basketball not motorcycle related.
cool, too bad about the elbow.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #217
wb5plj
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
I know my plan is to never drop my 950SE if at all possible.
I don't worry to much about that. It's got just two wheels, it's going to fall over at some time. I try not to but I don't get all that bothered about it. I had it over in a nice bog of mud today, no damage just some wrestling to get it out and a little time with a garden hose. I have ridden medium bikes and I'm not to worried about that just need to get more time in on the 1200.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #218
cman
cman

Oddometer: 251
Hey WB, anytime you want to go riding just yell. That big bike will be fine anywhere around here. There's a alot of good gravel road rides here in Central Mo. Todat might be a challenge with all the F#$*ing snow on the ground. I ride a DRZ 400s and a DR 650se. Thinking about a Super T, and I know it will do fine.
cman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #219
dmac431
Boots

Oddometer: 43
Big Bike Fun

I ride a KTM 990, and love going where the little bikes go. I'm up for anything and don't mind to help a bud pick his bike up. Anytime, anywhere.

Quote:

dmac431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:26 AM   #220
Hazman27
The Haz

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teep View Post
I know the feeling, I planned on not dropping my F650GS also. That went away at the entrance to Big Bend NP as I rolled it up in front of the sign, stepped on a large rock, lost my balance and ease it over to the right side. Of course that was just the first time.

Garry
I heard if you don't have a picture, it didn't count!!!
Hazman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:50 AM   #221
Teep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazman27 View Post
I heard if you don't have a picture, it didn't count!!!

I quickly get it back up right and then look around to make sure no one saw me drop it. The most embarrassing drop was right in front of the sign at the Arctic Circle, loose sand let the front wheel slide out as I tried to ride it in front of the sign for a photo. Everyone dropped the cameras and helped me pick it up instead of take photos thank goodness.
Teep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #222
kendall_smith
Orange Supremacist

Oddometer: 116
Quote:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868646

We're heading down to the ride in the link above this afternoon. I just got a new to me 990 Adventure a couple of months ago and am definitely still learning the intricacies of riding a big bike off-road. I've done some mud and gravel, but by no means have I challenged myself too much with it. The ride is supposed to be big bike friendly with some alternate routes for smaller bikes/big bikes that want a challenge, so I figure it will be a good place to get some practice.

Like you, I am still running stock tires and feel that those might be my limiting factor at this point. The good news is that there should be a good group of people there, and I'm sure there would be someone around to help you if/when you need it.

I know it's kind of short notice, but it looks like your only about 120 miles away and this might be a good way to get your big bike feet wet.

I'll be on my orange 2008 990 Adventure and my buddy is bringing his F800GS if you want to find us if/when you get there.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #223
Scott in Missouri
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Sbr camping~

JOWANNAB/A_SAPPER,
Looks like a few guys are planning to camp at my place Saturday (4 May) for the SBR. I haven't seen any plans about mid-MO ADVRs riding over Friday night, but I am planning to ride down and may camp there too.

Good to chat with you again Saturday Coy.

Scott
Scott in Missouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #224
wb5plj
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightventure View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cman View Post
Hey WB, anytime you want to go riding just yell. That big bike will be fine anywhere around here. There's a alot of good gravel road rides here in Central Mo. Todat might be a challenge with all the F#$*ing snow on the ground. I ride a DRZ 400s and a DR 650se. Thinking about a Super T, and I know it will do fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac431 View Post
I ride a KTM 990, and love going where the little bikes go. I'm up for anything and don't mind to help a bud pick his bike up. Anytime, anywhere.
Very Cool Three takers (one with a bad wing temporarily) and the weather is (I think) getting better. Something local maybe, When and where is the question now. I only know of a couple of places to go romping around locally so if you have suggestions let me know. I work till 5 (sometimes i can get away a little early) and it is staying light later so a short and local something might be doable in the afternoon depending on your availability. Usually have a day over the weekend I can get free if that works.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #225
wb5plj
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall_smith View Post
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868646

We're heading down to the ride in the link above this afternoon. I just got a new to me 990 Adventure a couple of months ago and am definitely still learning the intricacies of riding a big bike off-road. I've done some mud and gravel, but by no means have I challenged myself too much with it. The ride is supposed to be big bike friendly with some alternate routes for smaller bikes/big bikes that want a challenge, so I figure it will be a good place to get some practice.

Like you, I am still running stock tires and feel that those might be my limiting factor at this point. The good news is that there should be a good group of people there, and I'm sure there would be someone around to help you if/when you need it.

I know it's kind of short notice, but it looks like your only about 120 miles away and this might be a good way to get your big bike feet wet.

I'll be on my orange 2008 990 Adventure and my buddy is bringing his F800GS if you want to find us if/when you get there.
Cool I did not know about this place but it is right up my ally for a weekend trip.

Darn I wish I had more advance notice, oh well, there will be more hopefully.

Not today though it is my girlfriends Birthday and while she is enjoying learning to ride she wouldn't be up for this just yet (skill wise, rather confidence), and I am not sure that I could pass "whisked away for a weekend of cool dew, growling bikes, mud, dirt, rocks, wet leaves, and wet booted fun" as romantic. I personally don't understand why not but experience tells me that it won't fly.

Enjoy and I await a report on the place and the bike!