Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
CrashTheDOG OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thumper Day Trip Saddlebags (Wolfman vs Giant Loops)

I recently purchased a ’10 KTM 450 XC-W and I’m looking to purchase a set of saddlebags for extended day trips in order to get as much weight off of my back as possible. I will also be exploring the possibility of using it for minimalistic lightweight camping trips by adding additional storage similar to how Lost Rider has done with his Giant Loops Mojavi. So I’ve narrowed it down to the Wolfman Daytripper Saddle Bags or the Giant Loops Mojavi Saddlebag. I’m leaning towards the Wolfman for three reasons; (1) it has 33% more capacity (Wolfman = 12 liters vs. Giant Loops = 9 liters) between the two side pockets, (2) it has the ability to integrate one of the three sizes of Wolfman Rollie Bags (S = 4.5 liters, M = 8.5 liters, L = 12.5 liters) between the saddlebags on top of the seat where the Giant Loops only has the 1.5 liter tool pocket, and (3) for extended camping trips I'm leaning towards the Wolfman Rolie Bags Saddle Bag Mount system so any Rollie Bags I purchase for the Daytripper I'd could use with the Saddle Bag Mount.

I don’t have any experience with either company or for that matter ANY motorcycle luggage so any input would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I also wanted thank everyone for their contributions here at ADV Rider. The countless hours of research here has definitely helped me to reduce the learning curve of a new sport.

CrashTheDOG screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 12:13 PM
CrashTheDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
C/W
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I have the Wolfman daytrippers. If you have the ability, you should try and find some to look at so you get the idea of sizing. I have a feeling that they're smaller than you think they are. :)

I have the following in mine:

Front/Rear heavy duty tubes
Electric air pump
Manual air pump (mtb type)
EZ Air tire gauge
Tire tools (2 spoons, beadpro spoons, valve cable pull through thingy, etc...)
Other tools: small wrenches, adj. crescent, small sockets, rachet wrench, etc...

They're pretty well packed out with the above. I think one of the sides, the one with the front tube, has some room for small stuff (candy bars).

Of course, to minimize, you can carry a single front tube, no electric pump, no large EZ air gauge and so on.

Quality wise they're great. Attachments are fine. A bit strappy, but most Wolfman luggage is that way. I have the bottle holder attached to the D-rings on one of them. One thing I really like about Wolfman stuff is that they have plenty of D-rings for attachments. You can strap *any* bag to them, not just the rollie bags.

As an edit...

If you want a little larger capacity, the E12 Saddlebags would be a good choice. However, if you're thinking about the saddle bag mount system w/ rollie bags, just get that instead of the saddlebags.

C/W screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 01:52 PM
C/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 857
I was debating nearly the same setups before. I eventually bought the Rolie bags and saddlebag mount but ended up returning the mount because it just didn't work well with my rear fuel filler. What I ultimately ended up with was the E-12 bags and a renegade duffel and 1 medium rolie.

I can cinch the e-12's down just about flat when there is nothing in them, pack them (along with the dry duffel) for 3 days, or just have a pack jacket/ inner tube in one side and my tools in the other side for everyday use and everything is secure no matter how empty/ full they are. Being that you can cinch the e-12's down, they can do everything the daytripper's do and give you the option of carrying more if the need ever arises.

If you end up getting daytrippers or e-12's, I wouldn't bother getting the rolie mount... rolie's or a renegade bag attach to the top of the e-12/DT bags perfectly with no need for any new mounts.

Here's my rolie's (2 medium, 1 large) that I had mocked up full of air:

my e-12's with renegade duffel on top packed with everything needed for 3 days:

pics of partially filled e-12's coming...

here is an e-12 with a packjacket and front innertube/spoons/pump:

here is the pair of e-12's with a substantial tool roll in the left bag and just the tube/tire tools in the right bag:

You can see that the bags are scrunched up pretty good to cinch them down with that little stuff in there, but the point is that they will cinch down AND allow enough room to carry full camp gear when needed.

A list of $h!t packed in the bags:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
While my GasGas EC300 is not my dualsport, it has gone on multiday unsupported (excluding pick-up and drop-off) trips. I know it is a terrible cell phone picture, but it is the only one I have of any of my bikes with camp gear on board.

283lbs loaded and full of fuel :

Wolfman E-12 saddlebags and Renegade duffel stuffed with:

Kelty salida 2 tent (I'm 6'5" so I HAVE TO sleep diagonally in here, plenty of room to bring my stuff inside and my filthy gear can stay dry under the vestibule)

Big agnes 20" insulated pad (I sleep on my side with a leg out so maybe the 25" would work better... I'll live with it)

cheap Sports Authority 40* mummy bag packs to the size of a canteloupe (this REALLY needs to be replaced with a 0* or 20*)

pistol +20 rounds

alcohol stove and cookware from Big 5

folding saw

folding shovel

compact hiking shoes

rain gear

swim trunks

flashlight

food for 3 days (MRE's and freeze dried, along with foil pouch of tuna, can o' spam, Idahoan potatoes, individual instant coffees and hot cocoa packets, crystal light individual "energy" drink mixes)

water filter

I did carry all my usual tools/ first aid/ bike spares/ high calorie junk food/ etc. as well, but they were in my backpack (12.2L including my 3L bladder) so were not included in the above weight. This was at the beginning of september so the weather in the High Sierra's was still pleasant (though it did drop to freezing 1 night) as the weather cools I will have to add my tankbag to the setup to carry more layers. A lower temp rated sleeping bag is the #1 priority on my camp list as everything else worked great for my uses.

Overall weight was a big concern on this particular trip and road useage was maybe 10 miles so I opted to leave the heavier plated bike at home. The same gear on my 690 would have put me over 350lbs total and wrestling that through the non-stop boulder field that is the Dusy-Ershim trail would have taken a lot of fun out of the ride. I just had my buddy on his plated TE250 ride behind me on the road!

One final note:
Idahoan instant potatoes are the shit, I think I could live off of them.
So to sum up my information overload: just buy the e-12's and add a renegade duffel or rolie of your choice when you find yourself needing more space.

The Letter J screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 02:43 PM
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,984
The E-12's live on the bike, so I have some storage.

WR250R on rail trail, riding home from spectating at the Corduroy Enduro
Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
CrashTheDOG OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've gone ahead and ordered the Daytrippers with a small and medium Rolie to handle my day trips. I considered the E-12's but I think they're larger than I'll need for day rides and anything I do end up taking that won't fit into the Daytrippers will go into either the small or medium Rolie. As far as extended trips I'll more than likely end up ordering the Rolie Saddlebag Mount. I'll post up a few photos when I get it set up.
CrashTheDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
crashdog

too late to ask for photos?
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:52 AM   #7
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,746
I wonder if these Duke side bag racks would work on the R model? not likely, and they look a bit under engineered for offroad, but just saw em and had to wonder

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-duke...12-76012912144

robdogg screwed with this post 12-17-2014 at 12:58 AM
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:02 AM   #8
juno
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdogg View Post
I wonder if these Duke side bag racks would work on the R model? not likely, and they look a bit under engineered for offroad, but just saw em and had to wonder

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-duke...12-76012912144
why not just get the ktm ones for the 690? They sit lower and more forward then most.
juno is offline   Reply With Quote