User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
ca1ic0cat OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Question Bag to go across the rear seat & panniers of a R1200GS

I was thinking of getting something like the Helen 2 Wheels bag to go across the luggage so I don't have to stuff the tent every morning. A dry bag that would go across the whole back of the bike from the end of one side case to the other. Anybody had success with such a thing?

Thanks,

Eric
ca1ic0cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,406
I like my Ortlieb Rack Pack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,678
There's quite a few companies out there that make them. My preference is towards Wolfman. Their Medium size duffle would fit your criteria.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Friction275
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I use the 60L Overboard duffle. At 26" long it's a good width for my setup

http://www.overboardusa.com/waterpro...ltr-black.html

It's setup well for resisting abrasion and the roll top closure and attaching system make it easy to attach and access without much fuss.

There are lots of companies out there and it's likely that most of the better ones are all comparable.

I would look at a few features then just compare prices:
-read the fine print. Most zipper closure bags are water resistant while most roll top bags are water proof. Zippers can get shady if they are exposed to rain at high speeds or water hits them at weird angles.
-roll top bags can be stuffed and then used like compression bags to squeeze down fluffy stuff like sleeping bags and clothes.
-mounting systems parallel to the opening allow for access while attached to the bike which is handy
Friction275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
I've been using Sea-To-Summit Dry-River bags for my pack. They're light and easy to store when empty. They have hypalon attachment points that work with Rok-Straps really well and are a secure waterproof bag. Mine are 3-4 years old and no issues at all.

Here's a nice British guy to tell you a bit about it:

I use either a 35l or 65 liter capacity. The 65 actually fits well across the sidecases and the seat, but sometimes I turn it for a bit of lumbar support on long mile days. The 65 is what's shown below - not quite full capacity. The bag fully stuffed is about 24" long with enough roll-top available to get a secure seal. It sounds big, but sometimes having a bit of room to stuff a bunch of wet tent into (or some growlers ) is handy space to have.

This is usually how I use it:

This is the only cross-ways pic I have - and again is is really only 2/3 full.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 984
This one works for me, XL north face.. lots of room inside..
I think I have to retire this pic, its been in a few to many threads..

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ic0cat View Post
I was thinking of getting something like the Helen 2 Wheels bag to go across the luggage so I don't have to stuff the tent every morning. A dry bag that would go across the whole back of the bike from the end of one side case to the other. Anybody had success with such a thing?

Thanks,

Eric
checked out an Ortlieb 85L bag for just such a thing the other day at the bmw meet in salem or... it would fit the bill rather well across the rear seat over the side vario's in front of the top case. they had them at a good deal too for $130? (nice bag)

thing was I couldn't justify it since I want to further investigate the possibility of swapping out the top case w/rack and pillion for a pelican 1560 mounted on a pillion plate. I measured a coworkers and the pelican will be just about as wide as the vario side cases when at their reduced setting, just hang out back over the tail light (not nearly as far as the vario top case) and be as tall as the lower edge of the top case lid's side at reducted setting. roughly... and who needs a pillion seat anyway?

then I would have yet another item sitting around the garage not being used... (the Ortlieb 85l) already have a much bigger dry duffel, one sitting around not being used is enough.
KoolBreeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,159
Dry bags are cheaper

I get a lot of my rafting supplies from this place.(nrs.com)
Old 07-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #9
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,347
I've tried most of the bags listed, plus many more. My end result is the Cabelas boundary waters duffel.

First, it's fully rectangular, not round. That gives you a 35% increase in capacity over the same length and width round duffel.

The rectangular shape means it stays put.

The bag has two compression straps that are generously long enough to also strap something on top of the bag using it's own straps.

It's VERY thick and tough, you will not wear it out.

Comes with a patch kit in case you stab it with a Kabar. And if its bad just bring it back for a new one.

The come in a few sizes, for a fully across the seat and over the panniers you would want the 36" model, I think that one is 14x14 deep and tall.

The 30" model is 13x13

I have one of those, forget the length but the main one for on the bike use I have is the 24x12x12. It's been around the world, through some seriously harsh environments and has remained unscathed.

In fact I just gave it a vinegar bath to get the playa dust out of it (it's the only thing that will clean playa dust).

I "may" have a spare 30 or 36" model, got it to toss on a friends roof rack of his truck so he could haul some of my gear cross country last year, he never did so I ended up just hauling what I could carry on the bike and left my luxury items like my folding hammock and mini carport at home.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #10
Robert_W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Motofizz large bag fits perfect across the back and across the panniers. Makes a nice back rest too. I bought mine almost 15 years ago and it's been through 4 bikes. Still works great though it's starting to show some age / sun / road wear.

www.kroutfitters.com
Robert_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,347
Ha, I have a brand new Motofizz, it's been sitting on my dresser for over a year.

Never used it.

It's HUGE, and really well made. But there are way too many things on it and it's not waterproof.

I wanted a simple, fully sealed bag with minimal stuff and straps on it. Which is why I never switched to it from the Cabelas bag.

hmm, anyone want a brand new motofizz size large?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #12
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W View Post
Motofizz large bag fits perfect across the back and across the panniers. Makes a nice back rest too. I bought mine almost 15 years ago and it's been through 4 bikes. Still works great though it's starting to show some age / sun / road wear.

I went to Aerostich on my trip a couple weeks ago; they had these in stock and they looked very well made and had loads of features. But if I recall correctly, they are not waterproof and have to have a separate rain cover installed which some people have lost or just flutters on them, soaking their kit.

That's me out.

-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.

Schlug screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 08:31 AM
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #13
ducnek
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 989
Cabelas waterproof duffel fits like it was made for the bike, and has held up well for me.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #14
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,309
Been using a XL dry bag of the sort they use on white water rafting trips. Very stout, very simple, never any leaks or dust of any sort at any time in 50,000 + miles. It's top loading but that doesn't bother me.

Wasn't very expensive, either.

Some of the travels.

Lake Superior circle tour

The first Central ADV rider rallye.

East Coast Rendez-Vous (rest easy, Rick )

No Clever Name, 2010

Newfoundland, 2012

Death Valley/Monument Valley, 2013

Rick's Rendez-Vous, 2013

6,100 mile, two up trip to Glacier, Jasper, Yellowstone, the Tetons, Cody, etc.

It fits all the camping gear when I'm two-up or my camping gear and other non-essential gear when I'm solo. (think cold weather liners, etc)
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote