Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #16
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,970
Scorpion EXO 700 or 1000, was a quiet as my Shoei RF-1000, all of last year's models are on sale now for $180 or less. And yes true quiet requires ear plugs.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...tallic+&+matte

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/CTGY/mensclearance
Old 12-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
lucas123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
What HJC model do you have now?
lucas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkiwi View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far. A few points in response:

1. I ride a naked 2007 Sportster - no screen.
2. I am obviously aware that no helmet will provide complete silence, particularly at speed, but from some of the helmet reviews I've read there appear to be significant differences between makes and models as far as noise levels are concerned.
3. I hate ear plugs - not the plugs themselves (I have good/comfortable ones from my time in the army) but I can't stand the fact of not being able to hear properly. The helmet already reduces hearing and with ear plugs I feel too isolated. Some may consider this irrational but that's the way it is for me...
4. In my experience there is no consistent relationship between comfort and noise (my HJC is a perfect fit and very comfortable but also very noisy) or vents and noise (it seems that some helmet manufacturers can design effective vents without making the helmets too noisy).
5. I love the Schuberth but it is simply out of my price range.

I did a bit of research last night and found that the Bell RS-1 scores very well, low noise levels included. That helmet would still be in my price range - is anyone using that helmet?

A Harley with no hearing protection?

Seriously, you need to reconsider this. You are damaging your hearing.

Get some hearing protection and learn the "feel" of your engine, not the sound.

Also, you should be doing constant visual checks before passing, turning, just riding, etc., so you really don't need to "hear" the vehicles around you.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #19
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,381
+1 on ear plugs, Shoei Qwest and Arai Signet Q helmets
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #20
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,400
Riding any length of time without ear plugs will damage your hearing, even though you might not realize it. I won't ride without them. I have a Arai RXQ. Hearo's Blue 33 db.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #21
DiamondDan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I have a Shoei Qwest and had a huge issue with the booming noise coming from the bottom/rear of the lid. Here's what I did and didn't do to cure it:

Did:
1) ditched the little sport windshield. I found it was dumping a real blast of air right at the shoulders.
2) made sure the high collar on my Olympia jacket was closed well. Open, it funnels the air into a nice under-helmet vortex.
3) smaller cheek-pads. yes, smaller.

Didn't:
4) earplugs. I can't get the foam ones to work properly, so i used the silicone ones. What I found is that they amplify internal noise - for example, chewing. With the original cheek pads squeezing so tightly, a lot of noise seems to have been transferred to the cheek bones or jaw. From there, it's the occlusion effect that magnified that sound against the earplugs.
4) fit. I'm a medium on their size chart and bought a large because I'm also an idiot. However, with the better-fitting cheek pads and by keeping the collar up and velcro'd shut, the booming wind noise is tolerable for the kind of riding I do (short suburban stuff, mostly).

Will Do:
I have a Windjammer II skirt coming in the mail, so if it arrives before the cold weather sets in, I'll give it a go.
DiamondDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #22
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
what about one of the skirts that attaches to the underside of the helmet? i dont k ow if they make universal fit ones or not but it would eliminate a lot of noise.
I tried one. It did not work for me ('03 Concours with HJC and Scorpion helmets).
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #23
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,866
+ (lost count) on ear plugs. I use Shure Se215+ earphones.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #24
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I will answer as if you said you already had good earplugs and wanted even more noise reduction...

I realize that I did not need the top vent at all, not even in hottest summer. And mine is a very well vented hjc IS16.
Seems all that foam is either keeping me uniformly warm or fresh, dunno, but ain`t feeling discomfort. So I put a stretched electric tape to streamline it. Got rid of high pitch and a few whistle.

That I tried a fluffy collar in spring and fall, for warming but the interresting side effect of dropping drammatically all the low frequency (what you guys seem to call bufetting) mad me realize that the lower helmet edge is way worse than any other possible source of noise. Try it. Not so great in summer... eh. Some product seem to exists to streamline the helmet bottom but everyone thinks it is too hot (doesn`t breathe nor absorb sweat).

But the most drammatic change of all, was not even on the helmet! If I stand up on the pegs at the same speed, way out of the windshield, all the noise go away except a smooth flow of air. The deflected air is faster than outside the bubble and is therefore making terrible noise when your head is in it. The solution IS NOT higher windshield, it is lower ones, assumng you were not looking for rain, dirt or bugs protection. I didn`t have the time to test the theory yet by removing the windshield entirely yet. I will probably buy a very short windshield if it verifies.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #25
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,053
The thing I miss about my Scorpion EXO 1000 is how quiet it was. It didn't flow much air, but it was pretty quiet. I now wear a Bell RS-1. It is a fantastic lid in the summer that flows a TON of air. However, because it lets in so much air, it is noisy. It's also not a good choice for winter riding. I'm thinking about picking up another EXO-1000 on closeout specifically for winter riding. Besides not letting in much airflow, the antifog coating is fantastic.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #26
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
3. I hate ear plugs - not the plugs themselves (I have good/comfortable ones from my time in the army) but I can't stand the fact of not being able to hear properly. The helmet already reduces hearing and with ear plugs I feel too isolated. Some may consider this irrational but that's the way it is for me...
I.. hmm.

Perhaps you want a half helmet. We all know FF helmets destroy your vision too.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #27
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
I find the skirt doesn't reduce the noise appreciably, but it does keep the face and neck much warmer!
I have never tried one, but I noticed when I hunch my shoulders up against the bottom of the helmet it drops noise quite considerably.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:28 AM   #28
Corkonian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
There's an article in this months RIDE magazine about this subject.
I got tinnitus - very annoying when I got it at first but used to it now - regardless I don't want any further hearing damage.

Shoei do a 'whisper strip' - make sure it fits your model of helmet. Even within their own range it doesn't fit every one.
http://www.shoei-europe.com/uk/products/accessories/

A lot of the noise is absorbed through your head so the best ear plugs in the world aren't going to protect your hearing 100% - no where near that.

As they said in the article there's actually not a whole lot they can do about helmets - you can't streamline them like push bike ones - one life saver and you'd be airborne.
Corkonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:47 AM   #29
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,439
Quote:
1. I ride a naked 2007 Sportster - no screen.

After a couple of minutes with plugs in I find that I can hear talk pretty well. I am often the first vehicle to notice (or react to) sirens. I can hear most but not all vehicles in the next lane. I bought a variety pack of reusable plugs and found a style that works well and are easy to insert.

There ARE places (such as beside a construction site) that I cannot hear talk with my helmet and earplugs.

Perhaps different ear plugs would reduce the sound level without killing all sound. I can imagine that earplugs that work too well are isolating.

I wear a Shoei Qwest on various naked bikes. It is quieter than previous helmets, but not silent. I believe you have the right idea that a naked bike with the right helmet can be quieter than most windshields.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #30
ST-DocLizard1
Serial Monogamist

Oddometer: 806
Arai RX-7 Corsair and Custom Plugs:

http://www.earinc.com/p1-nonelectronic-instamold.php
ST-DocLizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote