Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
Houndguy OP
super noob!!!

Oddometer: 49
Question Getting the young'ens on a bike.

I'm sure this has been brought up before and frankly, I'm not sure if there is a section of the ADV forum for this subject. So feel free to move it moderators!

It seems in the various other forums and blogs I visit there is a concern about the lack of new people taking up the sport of motorcycling.

I don't really see it here in Florida, if anything I see a large number of young people on scooters and motorcycles. But I can only speak to my small part of the world. I do know however that sales have been falling over the last few years and I think there is a combination of reasons for this.

So my question is...how do you promote the sport? How do you get younger people involved?
Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,283
When I started riding, my Mom, Sister and Dad hated it. My Sister was about the most un-athletic person I ever knew. She wasn't a dork, but she was NOT athletic and had no coordination.

I was riding my Kawasaki KE100 Enduro one Summer day behind our house in the mid 1970s and she came back to watch. I asked if she wanted to learn to ride. She surprisingly said yes. She got on and after an On Any Sunday riding lesson, she took off and rode round the field like she had been riding for months! I was BLOWN away! She got off siad it was super fun and NEVER got on another motorcycle again. She had ridden that day for about an hour. It still blows me away that she did so well. Better than any first time rider I have seen since, in fact, better than most after a week or more! perfect shifting braking and all.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
duck851
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Have you ever asked a dealer, selling a dirt bike or other off-road vehicle, where can I ride this thing? Most of them have no answer.
Dealers need to get involved in local tracks and riding areas, but seldom do.
duck851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndguy View Post
So my question is...how do you promote the sport? How do you get younger people involved?
racing.

Out here in the desert there is an entire community of people that head out pretty much every weekend, most of them families. Kids race on Saturdays and dad and/or mom races on Sunday. They start slow and really young and pick up A LOT of skill very quickly.
When I fist started racing and saw these kid races I was most blown away by how supportive all the parents were. You know how little league games are - there's always one crazy alpha dad who wont feed their kid unless he hits two home runs - there was none of this at all. Everyone is just cheering everyone on.
It's amazing to watch!

I get super jealous of these kids. My family never really did anything together when I was a kid.....we never went camping, fishing, bicycling.....I wish my parents would have done something like this

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,162
Quote:

It's definitely a collective advocacy effort within the community...particularly once resources are scarce (namely, real-estate). people who can help everyone understand how the sport can at the very least co-exist with its environment, but ideally enrich its community.

Also, consider what your feeder sports are, and foster crossover from BMX. Less of a fit from MTB, but still possible.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:24 PM   #6
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
I think a big part of it, at least around here, is the huge rise in popularity of scooters. They're cheaper to buy and easier to ride, with no clutch etc.

I've read that younger people are even less excited about getting their drivers license or owning their first car, which blows me away. I was going to add something else about the car hobby, but I think I'll start a new topic on that...
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #7
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,144
I agree that racing is an exceptional way to get kinds involved. Sure worked out nicely for me.

I think part of it also is adapting to ever more restrictive land use situations. Riding areas are fewer, farther and generally crappier than ever before. One way of adapting, in part, is to expand trials riding as it takes far less space and makes far less noise than off road or MX. I think trials is really about the only viable non-moto off road competition long-term for the east coast unless land becomes more available. Enduro and hare scrambles on the east coast have gotten so scattered and poor it's hardly worth the hassle.

BMX is a natural feeder to moto and I'm all for it. It's an inexpensive way to get involved in what's basically the same sport. It also requires that kids learn timing in a way that few do in moto.

Travel is another way to promote motos to 20-somethings I think. Long way down/around type stuff. Traveling on a moto provides a closeness with the areas and people that you don't get with cars, planes or public transport.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,713
I grow my own... :-)
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 23,531
Quote:
This way...

Old 08-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,713

Starting on just 2 wheels now. Keeping speeds down and communication up to ensure a good time is had.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #11
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,705
My son is 10, just put him through the MSF Dirt Rider class.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #12
RYANINMICHIGAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
I let my son (7) ride the neighbors 50 the other day. The kid has no fear. Balls to the wall and layed it down. Got him and the bike up and he said "I think I want a dirt bike" I am strugling with teaching him speed control. He wants to go as fast as it will go. Also the 50 is not nearly big enough for him. I am kicking around getting him an 80 in the spring. We live in a sub that is only 25% developed soe there is a ton of room for him to ride.
RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #13
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,705
See if the dirt rider class is offered in your area. They usually have a collection of bikes to ride.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,078
My youngest got his first bike at age two. I bought it off af an inmate here it was pink and white so I fixed that.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #15
doorman
Aimless

Oddometer: 219
Nicely done. That kid looks so friggin happy.

Motoflyfishing
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894025
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: