User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,339
Tablets - New Nexus 7 - unimpressed.

I wanted a 7 inch tablet, read all the reviews and bought one tonight - it will probably be returned.

Interface is nice but can't get the Netflix app to run - apparently I am not alone.

Can't get Firefox app to install - apparently I am not alone

Seems we should be past this point with bugginess as tablets have been in wide use for 6 or 7 years.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,775
Huh. My Nexus 7 that I received last week runs Netflix out of the box, and I installed and am running Firefox with no problems.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
I wanted a 7 inch tablet, read all the reviews and bought one tonight - it will probably be returned.

Interface is nice but can't get the Netflix app to run - apparently I am not alone.

Can't get Firefox app to install - apparently I am not alone

Seems we should be past this point with bugginess as tablets have been in wide use for 6 or 7 years.
It's not the tablets fault, it's running a new version of Android and it's the first product to ship with it. Wait a 1-3 weeks and all the major apps will have updates for it. Same thing happens with all devices with new OS's even Apple so if this is a make or break issue for you always buy older ones and don't let them update for a month or so once a new OS is released.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 03:32 PM
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,053
I've got the older Nexus 7, no problems. And although it's our secondary tablet (grandparents gift to the kids), it seems quite stable and I actually like it.

I'd wait on software updates.

I do prefer Chrome as my browser though!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
Meter Man OP
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,339
An update fixed the Netflix. I am returning and buying a regular laptop, however, as the tablet will not be able to replace the laptop for what I need on the road. I really don't like the limitations imposed by tablet makers, mostly artificially.

For web browising and media consumption the nexus 7 is pretty nice...
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Oddometer: 10,828
Just root the SOB and install a custom ROM...problem solved
Old 08-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by merickk View Post
Just root the SOB and install a custom ROM...problem solved
Really. Nonsense. How would custom ROM makers make Netflix and Firefox work sooner on a new OS than the developers themselves? Or why would he want to install a ROM based on an older OS?
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
Really. Nonsense. How would custom ROM makers make Netflix and Firefox work sooner on a new OS than the developers themselves? Or why would he want to install a ROM based on an older OS?
kernel tweaks, modified OS etc...
Old 08-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
An update fixed the Netflix. I am returning and buying a regular laptop, however, as the tablet will not be able to replace the laptop for what I need on the road. I really don't like the limitations imposed by tablet makers, mostly artificially.

For web browising and media consumption the nexus 7 is pretty nice...
What are the limitations? I'm just wondering because I've found tablets to be getting up there in usability for everything except my work.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 08-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
kernel tweaks, modified OS etc...
I've got a custom ROM on a bootable SD card for my nook, other than side loading apps it really doesn't help much in day to day workings.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
I've got a custom ROM on a bootable SD card for my nook, other than side loading apps it really doesn't help much in day to day workings.
No ads, system level control for numerous settings, bloatware deleted etc. I couldn't see having a stock adroid OS.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
No ads, system level control for numerous settings, bloatware deleted etc. I couldn't see having a stock adroid OS.
That's becoming less and less of an issue IMO, my LG Ally phone was basically crippled by the bloatware, after the OS upgrade and continual upgrade of the apps it filled it's internal memory almost completely. But today when you have so much room on a lot of these tablets, and stock battery life is getting better every few months it's more of a slight benefit than a necessity to run long/smoothly like it used to be. Hell even the heavily skinned Nook OS which is ICS is just a google keyboard download away from being a very usable tablet.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #13
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Quote:
That's becoming less and less of an issue IMO, my LG Ally phone was basically crippled by the bloatware, after the OS upgrade and continual upgrade of the apps it filled it's internal memory almost completely. But today when you have so much room on a lot of these tablets, and stock battery life is getting better every few months it's more of a slight benefit than a necessity to run long/smoothly like it used to be. Hell even the heavily skinned Nook OS which is ICS is just a google keyboard download away from being a very usable tablet.
Speaking of batteries, I need to get a new one for my bionic. The degradation of the batteries is an issue I wish they'd fix.

Another issue I have is the programs that constantly run (especially on phones), even if you tell it not to and mines data. Some of these programs just can't be shut off or frozen with a stock OS.

And then there's the special features developers like those that make CM add that make things handy. I use quite a few of the developer options everyday.

I also like having my phone and tablet set up with the same OS. makes shit easier to find, having same settings for some apps etc.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Speaking of batteries, I need to get a new one for my bionic. The degradation of the batteries is an issue I wish they'd fix.

Another issue I have is the programs that constantly run (especially on phones), even if you tell it not to and mines data. Some of these programs just can't be shut off or frozen with a stock OS.

And then there's the special features developers like those that make CM add that make things handy. I use quite a few of the developer options everyday.

I also like having my phone and tablet set up with the same OS. makes shit easier to find, having same settings for some apps etc.
Off topic but did the Bionic have one of those non-user replaceable batteries? My Droid 4 is of that generation of Motorola phones and the battery is starting to show its age, but isn't easily swapped.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #15
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
What are the limitations? I'm just wondering because I've found tablets to be getting up there in usability for everything except my work.
if i had a blueray/dvd/cd rom connected to mine it'd pretty much replace my desktop for 99% of what i do - the exception being office products. I haven't found an application yet that really works that great (at least for me) when it comes to office products.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: