User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
sedna OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
R1200R top case

At least once a year I do long trips with my wife on my R1200R. For that I need max luggage space.

I currently use original BMW system panniers and GIVI 52l top case fitted to original BMW luggage grid.

When packed for the road, top case becomes quite heavy and its vibrations worry me - mounting system is made of plastic.

Has somebody come up with some good and stable solution for large top case and panniers?

How do you pack your R1200R for large trip*?
sedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
sedna OP
Adventurer

When I pack, it usually looks like this

Old 01-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 850
I've used hard bags on some bikes, but I use a nylon bag set up on my r1200r as I bought her to be a nakid standard. There are some very nice bags that will carry a ton of stuff. Try and pack as light as possible, it's hard at times, but so much stuff ends up being unused, extra weight and bulk. Maybe a large tail bag and tank bag/tank panniers set up would give more stowage and spread the load around better. Search some of Chitowns threads as he really set his R1200R for the long haul and severe conditions.

Good luck, it's very nice to have the better half along!

http://www.aerostich.com/packing-it-in

[IMG][/IMG]
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Many years ago when my wife & I used to travel on the bike, we always left the top case mostly empty or just with a sweater or something if it got cold. She had one saddlebag & I had the other. Doesn't really help you out in the load department but I never liked to have much weight up that far on the bike.

As far as your mount is concerned. You could just do away with the quick mount, get a piece of aluminum plate, cut it to size and then mount it between the case & the luggage rack on the bike. That would make the mount much more solid but it may vibrate. You could isolate it with some rubber to cut down on vibration cracks etc.

My r1100r came with the rack & bags but no trunk, so I've got an old Wixom trunk ( looks just like the new stuff even though its 30 yrs old ) and I'm thinking about mounting in the fashion that I've described above. I've entered the Three Flags Ride this year, so if I get drawn and end up going I' could use some temporay space for items I need quickly during the day.
cycleman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
sedna OP
Adventurer

I was thinking somwhere along the Touratech offer - just need to figure out the top case, or top bag...
Old 12-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
alexmerino
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedna View Post
When I pack, it usually looks like this

Hi I have a question for you.

I have an R1200R as well and have a Givi V46 case. I am trying to find a kit that will allow me to put the V46 case on the BMW original Grid that came with the "BMW Baggage Porter Kit" that is installed on my bike.

Did you use this same product to get your Givi box to fit in the BMW Luggage Grid? BMW-R1200RT-K1200GT-TOP-CASE-MOUNT-KIT-MONOKEY-E193

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIVI-BMW-R12...rue#vi-ilComp\

thanks

alex
alexmerino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
ninepeaks9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedna View Post
At least once a year I do long trips with my wife on my R1200R. For that I need max luggage space.

I currently use original BMW system panniers and GIVI 52l top case fitted to original BMW luggage grid.

When packed for the road, top case becomes quite heavy and its vibrations worry me - mounting system is made of plastic.

Has somebody come up with some good and stable solution for large top case and panniers?

How do you pack your R1200R for large trip*?
I don't know what mounting system you used, but my GIVI case mounting bracket came with 6 metal plates with plastic universal mounting plate that bolts together to make very solid mount. Have no vibrations at all. Very solid.

ninepeaks9 is offline   Reply With Quote