Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #31
FTBTX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms View Post

nope - thats coming soon - i will post here when its ready
I'm looking forward to it! This looks like exactly what I need. Any recommendations on over pants to go with it?
FTBTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #32
teizms OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
If you want intro pricing, please visit this page:
http://store.teizms.com/super-saver
If you are too lazy to click through - the price is $375 with the Exkin Air Thermal Liner included. Thats a seriously significant saving. The delivery date is March 2012.

Need your Sahara jacket a bit earlier ? We can have it ready in approx 15/20 days at the standard price.

We are now accepting orders!
Feel free to post your questions.
Thanks
teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #33
kevinj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Well, you weren't kidding when you said it would be a tempting offer. That's 1/3 off, and that definitely makes it a great summer jacket for the price. Paycheck coming next week ...
kevinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #34
Adrian V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Date.......

March 2013.............

How much without the liner? Can you explain what the liner is and any advantages it may offer over the Gore windstopper fleece I normally use under mesh stuff?

Is it possible to make the colour swatches work, as it would be good to be able to see the different colour combinations?

Good jacket mate, seems perfect for Oz desert trips .

Cheers,

Adrian

Adrian V screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 05:14 PM
Adrian V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #35
FTBTX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Great deal; I'll order mine once all my Christmas shopping is done.
Thanks!
FTBTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #36
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian v View Post
how much without the liner?
+1. Don't need it. Don't want it.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 AM   #37
RTinNC
RT to GS in NC

Oddometer: 1,015
Really nice feature loaded jacket. Any "tall" sizing? I am wearing a First Gear XL Tall that seems to work great. So about a size 48 with about 37" sleeves is what I'd probably need. Would that be "custom". Hope there is a tall option.

2006 R1200RT - Granite Gray
2012 R1200GSA - Magma Red!
RTinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #38
teizms OP
Beastly Adventurer

Got some interesting questions and am responding to them here:

Q: ETA on Kevlar based jacket:

Let me clarify that the Kevlar jacket will not be similar to the Motoport but a very different jacket that will be our own take on Kevlar materials. Right now I have no idea on when it will be ready. All I can tell you is that design and comfort will be very high on the priority list along with top-notch materials (one of them being Kevlar). So I honestly do not know when we will end up introducing this jacket.

Q: Frogg Toggs (recommended model and feedback):
I bought two sets (for me and the wife) for $39 each from Academy in March 2011. Been through multiple 8-hour storms plus months of rugged non-stop use during several trips. Both suit are still in top-condition and never failed us.

I think they were on sale when bough them but I am sure you can pick up a complete suit for under $50. If I remember correctly they are the Pro Action series and more rugged/expensive/reflective options are available. Ours have worked out perfectly and seems like they have quite of a bit of life left in them. I would rate them 10/10 and wouldn’t mind getting another pair if I wreck these.

The feeling of arriving at your destination without worrying about how to deal with wet gear is priceless. We never have to wait for our gear to dry. I even use mine as a windbreaker. Heck I wore mine around London and Paris on rainy days so I don’t have to worry about carrying an umbrella. Another pro is that they pack really small in the provided bags and weigh next to nothing.

The long explanation is a pre-cursor to your next question.

Q: Opinion on the Companero, comparsion to the Gore-Tex liner they provide:

The Companero is a great jacket- but is it really worth that price? Stadler makes solid gear. I spent a lot of time examining it during Intermot.

In functionality, both the Companero & Sahara) have been designed for a similar purpose. The main difference is that the Companero includes the waterproof outer jacket while the Sahara does not and lets you choose your own rain suit.

Why don’t we include a rain suit with the Sahara? We have talked to several leading waterproofing brands. We could never come up with a waterproof jacket that would cost YOU less than the Frogg Toggs – despite the Frogg Toggs being just as waterproof. So with our version of the rain suit (like with the Gore-Tex suit) you pay more but don’t necessarily get better real-world performance.

Now – how expensive is it so replace the Gore-Tex layer of the Companero? Damage does not have to occur in a crash but rather normal usage such as an off-road ride with a lot of falls in harsh conditions. Being the less abrasion resistant layer, the rain suit will be much more easy to damage and rip-up. Frogg Toggs are $39 to replace and I couldn’t care less about how harshly I mistreat them (because they are easily replaceable). I wouldn’t treat my Gore-Tex suit the same way because I know it is going to cost an arm and a leg to replace. Also look into how much the Gore-Tex suits weighs and how does it pack. There are reports about the suit that raise these concerns.

One of the main differences between the two products is regarding abrasion resistance. Touratech (or Stadler) chose to protect the elbows and shoulders with additional layers of Cordura. The Sahara jacket has large panels of SuperFabric in the shoulders and elbows that are far more effective. Yet - the Sahara is far more affordable.

Apart from that, the two products are similar and are working to achieve the same functionality. I think the Companero also uses Sas-Tec armor (not sure), similar to the Sahara. Anyway, all the details about the jackets are on the web and you can compare the features and materials to determine how you want to spend your money. You asked for my personal opinion and here it is: The Gore-Tex liner on the Companero is not worth it and the jacket does not offer any unique features/materials that would convince me to spend so much more on it compared to the Sahara.

-----

now to the forum questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian V View Post
March 2013.............

How much without the liner? Can you explain what the liner is and any advantages it may offer over the Gore windstopper fleece I normally use under mesh stuff?
i actually dont have experiece with the Gore windstopper. The liner we provide is Exkin Air. The main advantage is that it is lighter and thinner than comparable insulations yet much warmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian V View Post
How much without the liner?
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
+1. Don't need it. Don't want it.
For the Super Saver, the liner is essentially being provided to you for free as part of the discount. if you don't want to use it, you can zip it out. Or in the comments of your order, mention that you don't want to get the liner. the price however, will not change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinNC View Post
Really nice feature loaded jacket. Any "tall" sizing? I am wearing a First Gear XL Tall that seems to work great. So about a size 48 with about 37" sleeves is what I'd probably need. Would that be "custom". Hope there is a tall option.
no tall sizes on this but we do full custom sizing.

teizms screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 08:16 AM
Old 12-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #39
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,741
Totally agree with your ideas on the waterproof outer layer. I was making the same comments on the Klim ADV Air thread which will also use a Goretex outer jacket which will be fairly easily damaged in rough conditions or a fall on pavement and will be expensive to replace.

In fact ... F Klim, I'm buying yours

The Frogg Toggs are cheap and work well. I got the high viz jacket for rainy weather visibility with the black pants.

Also your jacket with the Warm & Safe waterproof, windproof and heated liner sounds like the perfect combo for brief cool weather showers .
Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #40
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,633
I have been watching some of your threads for a while and I am really interested in this coat. Looking to replace my summer riding gear, just curious do you have anyone that sells, or anyone have your gear around the Atlanta area. I would really like to take a look at the coat, materials, feel and try the fit before spending the money.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #41
teizms OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostryder View Post
I have been watching some of your threads for a while and I am really interested in this coat. Looking to replace my summer riding gear, just curious do you have anyone that sells, or anyone have your gear around the Atlanta area. I would really like to take a look at the coat, materials, feel and try the fit before spending the money.
Thank you for your interest. At this time we are online only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Totally agree with your ideas on the waterproof outer layer. ....

Thank you for the support - and for reminding me about the Klim Adv Air. It totally slipped my mind when i was typing the reply. That jacket is also going for a similar approach. But here is the million dollar question for all those inquiring about the Kevlar jacket.... What does the Klim Adv Air (with a kevlar shell) use on the knees, elbows and shoulders?????
Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #42
teizms OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I was making the same comments on the Klim ADV Air thread .
perhaps you should post there and let every one know about the Teiz sahara
Old 12-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #43
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,946
Quote:
Totally agree with your ideas on the waterproof outer layer. I was making the same comments on the Klim ADV Air thread which will also use a Goretex outer jacket which will be fairly easily damaged in rough conditions or a fall on pavement and will be expensive to replace.

The Frogg Toggs are cheap and work well. I got the high viz jacket for rainy weather visibility with the black pants.
Yeah, but those (like the Stadler suit(s), Halvarssons safety, BMG Adventure etc) are designed to integrate into one jacket. It's not really the same thing.

Teiz, maybe I missed it, but what is return policy on this if it doesn't fit right?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #44
teizms OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Yeah, but those (like the Stadler suit(s), Halvarssons safety, BMG Adventure etc) are designed to integrate into one jacket. It's not really the same thing.

Teiz, maybe I missed it, but what is return policy on this if it doesn't fit right?
That is correct - the Frogg Toggs don't zip onto the jacket like the others. From personal experience I have had to take off the Frogg Toggs separately (especially for the jacket). Even though its not zipped together, you can put them on and take them off as one jacket. May sound low-tech but really based on real-world practical experience. Plus, when i have to wear/takeoff the rain jacket - i don't have to fiddle with zippers. Even if there were zippers, i doubt i would use them. Not having them zipped has never made a difference in the waterproofing or comfort. So for me the "integration" is a bit gimmicky/over-rated but i can understand if anyone feels differently.

Return policy for Super Saver offer:
No returns. One size exchange allowed - or upgrade to custom sizing. No exceptions.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #45
RTinNC
RT to GS in NC

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms View Post
That is correct - the Frogg Toggs don't zip onto the jacket like the others. From personal experience I have had to take off the Frogg Toggs separately (especially for the jacket). Even though its not zipped together, you can put them on and take them off as one jacket. May sound low-tech but really based on real-world practical experience. Plus, when i have to wear/takeoff the rain jacket - i don't have to fiddle with zippers. Even if there were zippers, i doubt i would use them. Not having them zipped has never made a difference in the waterproofing or comfort. So for me the "integration" is a bit gimmicky/over-rated but i can understand if anyone feels differently.

Return policy for Super Saver offer:
No returns. One size exchange allowed - or upgrade to custom sizing. No exceptions.
OK .. so can I get the intro Super Saver price of $375 and add the $150 for custom sizing? So $525 for custom size super saver?

2006 R1200RT - Granite Gray
2012 R1200GSA - Magma Red!
RTinNC is offline   Reply With Quote