User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
crazycruiser OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
GPS and Satelite phone

Hi, I am starting my adventure from California to Ushuaia in September.
Do you guys have any suggestions to what GPS and Satelite phone (with tracking) is recommended, and which I should stay away from?

Thanks for your input.
crazycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
udoggie
Top Dog

Oddometer: 56
For what it's worth, for GPS/Satellite tracking, I really like my spot.

-UD
udoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:17 AM   #3
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,090
Get a Delorme InReach SE with the unlimited text messaging plan.

Free Cash Back for Online Purchases.....One More CashBack Site
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by udoggie View Post
For what it's worth, for GPS/Satellite tracking, I really like my spot.

-UD
Spot might not cover the southern tip of Argentina.
http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=109

If I had to have a Sat phone, it would probably be an Iridium.
http://www.iridium.com/products/Irid...ctCategoryID=1

A PLB might be a relatively cheap backup option.
http://www.thegpsstore.com/ACR-2880-...OGgb7f6Qzw_wcB
(The '+' model floats on it's own, and there is currently an incentive package with some nice little odds and ends or a rebate available from ACR.)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
1derer
Sh*t Where am I?

Oddometer: 203
This could turn out like an oil thread
Every system has its positives and negatives and you will need to weigh your needs before pulling the trigger. There is really only 2 consumer satcom providers iridium and global star. GS used to have a bad reputation but with additional satellites their service has bee repaired. Now as the Iridium network ages they are starting to see the service impacts GS was once plagued with. Service type will also help determine product, prepaid or monthly contract? PLBs are great for all the cost is upfront but unless you spend lots of $$$ the batteries are not replaceable so its a one time deal (sure there are exceptions). I have owned both GS and Iridium have no preference one way or the other both functioned as required I do suggest renting 1st. Keep in mind satcom's don't function like regular phones and will have windows of communication largest being about 15 minutes before call drops and will require acquisition of a new host.

Now all I use is SPOT which is on the Global Star network, medivac insurance is also nice through spot good discount!
1derer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,539
Go to "layin down tracks" section of this site,thats where all the GPS and a lot of PLB/tracker info already resides.

SPOT or Delorme for a tracker,but look at the coverage maps,Delorme has larger world coverage.
With Delorme,you can download maps to your cell and it can function as a basic GPS.But for a trip like this,a dedicated GPS is probably better.

Look at Garmin Montana,Monterra,590,62 or 64 series units,depending on your size,mapping needs.

It's a bit of work and instructions are available at the above forum,but Open Street maps(OSM)has many downloadable free maps that would likely cover most/all of your route.Otherwise you need to buy the proper Garmin maps.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,512
We have 2 sat phones at work, a Global Star that doesn't work at all and an Irridium that is far more reliable.

Global lost a satellite years ago and have not replaced it, when the phone quit working the gave us a Spot Messenger to try and sooth us.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:18 PM   #8
atarijedi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
There are 34 satellite phone companies. Iridium, Inmarsat, Globalstar, and Thuraya.

Thuraya doesn't have service in North/South America though.

Globalstar was having issues with increased satellite degradation up until 2010 when they started putting their second set of satellites into orbit.

So really, all you need to look at is the pricing of prepaid/postpaid plans, pricing of the phone itself (buy/rent), and the coverage zones.

I believe they all offer voice, text, and data services.

Iridium has the best coverage, they cover essentially everywhere on earth. Inmarsat covers almost everywhere, the exception being some parts of northern Canada along the arctic ocean, top of Greenland, Svalbard island, part of northern Russia. Globalstar is missing a significant part of southern Africa, and South-East Asia.

If you are sticking to North/South America and Europe, than any of the 3 will be fine.
atarijedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:29 AM   #9
crazycruiser OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Thanks, guys. Really appreciate all your feedback. Guess, I have some work to do now researching all these options. Safe riding!
crazycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #10
chimo
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I have used a spot before but eventually had issues with it, the simple spot would have been much better in hindsight, the problem with Spot is its coverage, they have their own satelite system. Immersat, not the same coverage as the Iridium network that satelite phones work on has some areas that coverage is iffy on. The iridium network of satellites has no blank spots in its coverage, that is why I now use the Delorme Se, great system, used it in Africa last year very dependable, it is more expensive but I think that the cost is very justified and worth it.

The question of sat phones again is a no brainier, Iridium, the question is what type, two models, the iridium 9575 extreme, has the tracking features of the Delorme Se built into it and a GPS also, though would still get a separate GPS. The other is the iridium 9555, it's. Little cheaper and doesn't have the tracking or GPS abilities, but as I already have those I don't see the need for the added costs.

Hope this has been helpful, good luck on your journey, take care.
chimo is offline   Reply With Quote