User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
catweasel67 OP
Banned

Oddometer: 8,856
Callling all Trangia fans

I'm a big fan of the Trangia, have been for many years and whilst I'm certain there are better stoves out there, the Trangia ticks my boxes.

Well, I say "fan" but if I was, maybe I'd not lose so many. Anyhoo, camping season is almost upon us again (yeah yeah, I'm a 3 season camper :p) and I've a need to buy me a stove....

I've discarded the Trangia mini as being too small, so my choices have come down to the 25 or the 27 series - according to Trangia the 27 is the smaller of the two - which feels slightly counter intuitive to me - with 2 x 1litre pans and a fry pan. The 25 has a 1.5l and a 1.75 litre pan with a slightly larger fry pan as well.

99% of the cooking is gonna be solo so I was thinking that the 27 would make sense...but the 25 is actually a few cheaper so whilst the 27 is probably appropriately sized, I think I'll save the pennies and take the 25.

If you're wondering, the kettle is another 20 so I'm gonna forget that...water boils just as easily in a saucepan..

Trangia do offer an anodised version but it's almost twice the price, so bugger that :) I'm using amazon.de to price up btw -

And now for the question - based on your Trangia experience, what think thee?
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
catweasel67 OP
Banned

Can't edit my post....all I get is an empty post window when I try....so sorry for the second post..

Also, any hints and tips on Trangia useage are most welcome..

The only one I've got is that the stove leaks so make sure it's empty before traveling.

Anyone know a decent way to seal the fry pan?
Old 02-26-2015, 02:13 PM   #3
fuhgawee
Thats a road?

Oddometer: 1,585
I've got a boat load of different sized pots, alcohol stoves. I've gone full circle and
come back to a small pot and pan and sometimes the trangia. While its hvy its bullet proof.
So it gets a pass.

If cold out warm stove in pocket right before using. Same goes for the fuel. Stove will bloom quicker.

I keep fuel and stove separate.
fuhgawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 615
I am a huge Trangia fan also. I like the fact that fuel is readily available at any hardware store and I don't need to carry and dispose of butane cans.

I have the 27 but I now find myself using two Trangia Triangles. They are so small and light. I have two burners with less weight and bulk of most single burners. With two, I can boil or steam on one while I fry on the other.

I have never had any issues with fuel leaks but I usually carry fuel in a separate reusable fuel bottle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHZvZRLT7_g
Old 02-26-2015, 10:38 PM   #5
nickguzzi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Had a trangia for at least 30 years - the same one that is.
Mine is a 27, Works fine for two if your not greedy, so should be fine for one.
The pack size is more different than you'd think, so depends on how tight for space you are.

I went camping with someone who had to have the "best". He bought a 25 with kettle. The kettle is bloody useless. Even the big one only boils enough for 1 cup of tea - how crap is that?

I converted mine to gas. Just hew a hole in the side. The burner fits inside as the old spirit burner did. I use plumbers blowtorch canisters as they are cheap and available everywhere here/EU.
No leaks, no smell. Not that I had a problem with the spirit one, maybe you need new washers?
The colman camping canister ones burn a little hotter but are much more expensive and I find the longer but thinner shape easier to pack.

I made a burner support for a small coffee maker which works well. Once you've made the coffee, put the frying pan on and heat up the croissants.
I use a cheap Bialetti clone coffee maker as the handles don't stand up too good after being in the hot wind shield.

I can cook proper food on it, but you need to do the critical path analysis on your dish to make sure you can cooke everything in sequence, with something being cold and yucku when its supposed to be warm.
I don't do mre or other dehydrated shit. There are other things to eat if you can't/won't cook.

The trangia we get is a development of the Swedish army single unit food (heating) application device. They are around and available at outdoors/surplus type places. You see the civvi ones are not a exact copy, but the concept is the same. For a singleton who's forgetful, might be an avenue worth the exploring.
http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index....product_id=392
There is a German militatry surplus site which had them too. Can't see them at the moment, maybe later?
https://www.raeer.com/
nickguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:28 AM   #6
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
The only one I've got is that the stove leaks so make sure it's empty before traveling.
mine used to leak until I replaced the O'ring in the lid. the reason it leaks is screwing the lid on while it is still hot. this damages the o'ring. for this reason i always now empty the fuel back into my bottle but also leave it to cool completely before putting the lid back on.

I've had mine for more than 25yrs, it's a little beat up but still works fine.

griffo1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,851
http://www.canteenshop.com/cooking.html?mI

I love my Trangia 27 with an oil can cup (750ml Vargo ti) and the nesting grill top bottle stove from The Canteen Shop. The 27 fits under great and if you run out of fuel you can use twigs!

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:50 PM   #8
catweasel67 OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
http://www.canteenshop.com/cooking.html?mI

I love my Trangia 27 with an oil can cup (750ml Vargo ti) and the nesting grill top bottle stove from The Canteen Shop. The 27 fits under great and if you run out of fuel you can use twigs!

Damn! that place looks like the Touratech of cooking and just as dangerous.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:10 PM   #9
nickguzzi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Screwing the lid on the burner while hot will not only make it difficult to get off as it will vacuum inside, it may also crack the lid.
Cue gas conversion.
nickguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:12 AM   #10
CaptainAdv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
There's a ton of trangia videos, how-tos, mods, etc. On YouTube.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:07 AM   #11
sidetrack one
Chief Tiddler

Oddometer: 5,747
Attached Images

sidetrack one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:06 AM   #12
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,510
I've got the 27 with the multi-disc and billy and the plastic fuel bottle. The set is stored inside the billy which is in their orange storage sack. Mine is the stainless steel over aluminum w/out the non-stick pans; other than being easily dented it's very durable. I've taken mine backpacking on parts of the Appalacian trail, on canoe trips in western Virginia, on numerous overnight campouts with the boy scouts and through a couple of hurricanes. Mostly it was used to boil water. I always appreciated the simplicity of the kit and if the fuel ever leaked it would evaporate cleanly. With some fiddling it can be made to simmer, but that requires some experience and depends on the amount of wind. In cold weather it can be harder to light but I've never had it fail. I selected the 27 because of its size.

Edit: I also found that 'oil can' bottle mug to work well since a liter Naglene bottle fits inside and makes for a compact way to store a mug. I got mine from Campmor.

Stan_R80/7 screwed with this post 02-28-2015 at 05:14 AM
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:09 AM   #13
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Damn! that place looks like the Touratech of cooking and just as dangerous.
Yeah, the Canteen Shop has a lot of great kit. I saw the at a local gun and knife show and!, well, that was the start of it!

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:09 AM   #14
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
I have Trangia 27-4 and like it. Never use the kettle though, I prefer to use the sauce pan. To me the kettle takes up too much space in my 35L backpack. One pan to boil water, the other pan to cook whatever food I cook and the fry pan ... to fry eggs, sausages or anything that is fried ... and also served as a plate.

However, nowadays I prefer to use a wood stove. I use either my wildstove wood gas stove or my Bushbox XL from Bushcraft essentials. I still use the Trangia pans though, I just don't use the burner.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:25 PM   #15
Antti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
I've been using Trangia "always. As a kid we had it, a little older when being scoutting. And then at army we had those. And ever since have had it.

Now I have 27 and mini. Mini is practical when i'm alone and just need something warm.

One tip for extreme cold condition, burn a candle under burner to heat the spirit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPS View Post

However, nowadays I prefer to use a wood stove. I use either my wildstove wood gas stove or my Bushbox XL from Bushcraft essentials. I still use the Trangia pans though, I just don't use the burner.
I've also been planning to do just same.