User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
gone fishing OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Camping gear for newbie?

Looking for some advice on some light weight, packable gear. Would like to try some motorcycle camping this year. What tent for two and bags would y'all recommend for a fair weather 3 or 4 time a year camper?
Thanks, Fred
gone fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:08 PM   #2
thehelios
Taco Inspector

Oddometer: 164
http://www.advpulse.com/adv-products...for-under-300/

"Nice crotch rocket!"
"Dude, it's a f**king Super Tenere. It's a glorified mountain bike."
thehelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #3
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 1,096
One of the best things about this site is seeing what works for those who are really out there doing it. For two up camping this equipment layout from Dave6253 sticks in my mind. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=14

In general, buy the lightest, smallest packing stuff you can justify the price of. The best size/weight ratio tents I've found are the BigAgnes Copper Spur series, for two people get the 3 or 4 man tent. The Lost Ranger Downtek bags are solid choices, there's also a womans version. For packed size/weight/comfort, the inflatable pads from BA or Exped are arguably the best option.

Get your email on Campsaver, Campmor, Backcountry, REI and watch for discounts. In the last week I've gotten 20% off codes from all them.

The flip side is, you can go to Walmart and spend $150 to see if you're really interested in camping.

Good luck!

DYNOBOB screwed with this post 05-16-2015 at 03:44 PM
DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #4
ts3doug
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,073
Plenty of threads on here, dig away and enjoy.
ts3doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
ts3doug
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,073
Rei is having a sale right now. This is a good price on this tent. It's big, but I love mine.

http://m.rei.com/product/878520/rei-...me-2-plus-tent
ts3doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:11 PM   #6
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,509
I'm a fan of the MSR Hubba Hubba NX two-person tent (well, like most, it's a one person very comfortable with gear or two person a little snug). This is just one great tent...there's tons of them out there. Eureka is great quality at a very low price point. BA makes good tents. So does REI and a half dozen other brands.

Heck, the above is the same for sleeping bags and pads too (I'm a big fan of Nemo for bags/pads).

Do some research on some of the retail sites that have already been referenced. Every piece of gear has it's positives and negatives. There's literally thousands of postings on this site about gear you can search for.

If you have a chance, go to REI or Dick's Sporting Goods or Cabela's or wherever and look at the gear in person. I like REI for this stuff...they will take back any of the gear that you don't like when used in real life for up to a year after purchase. You simply cannot beat that warranty. And their sales staff are pretty good and will help you look at different models of stuff...without any sales pressure.
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:05 PM   #7
DaviGust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Marmot Limelight 3p

Good for two. Two doors. Two vestibules. Free standing. Includes footprint. Poles probably too long for most boxes.

DaviGust screwed with this post 05-17-2015 at 11:54 AM
DaviGust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:24 PM   #8
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,368
If you are anywhere close to a big city,
Try renting a tent and sleeping bag for the first couple of trips,

Then you can wrap your head around what works and what doesn't. What you need and what you don't.

It might cost you a little extra, but you will make it up when you buy the right thing the first time, rather then buying a couple of different tents, bags, pads and all the other stuff that goes with camping.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:21 AM   #9
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,627
Go to a place that sells camping gear and just start messing with things and check things out. Maybe measure the dimensions of your bike luggage first.

Think a bit like a backpacker and look at backpacking gear, but keep in mind that compactness is more important to a motocamper than weight.

Have fun.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:22 AM   #10
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3doug View Post
Rei is having a sale right now. This is a good price on this tent. It's big, but I love mine.

http://m.rei.com/product/878520/rei-...me-2-plus-tent
+1 on this tent, especially for the price and warranty.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #11
sparkingdogg
Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer: 314
Target, WalMart, etc... $30 tent, $20 bag, and some $5 straps... flashlight from home... can o' beans, pack o' hot dogs, 6 pack o' beer. Bug spray. Trash bags for rain gear. Go somewhere warm so you don't freeze your 'nads off.

If you like it, buy better gear, flea market on this site is FULL of nice gear. Interweb deals are everywhere. Even WM sells some fairly good stuff. Local CL has down bags and nice tents cheap. Or dump a bundle at REI.

If you don't like it, dump the gear on CL for $25 and you are out next to nothing.

You don't need much gear at all for some basic 1-2 night outings. Bed and food and light. Cook on fire. Instant coffee. Not much else. You will see soon what works for you. And see a lot of other people with gear to make yourself mental notes.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:03 PM   #12
portablevcb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Have you ever camped before? If not you need to try it out first, then decide if you want to try it with the limits of what you will carry on the motorcycle.

One person, two person and such ratings for tents are a joke to me. I use a 4 person tent just for me. I like someplace I can comfortably change clothes and sit in a chair when it is raining outside. I also want to put my gear in there. A one person tent has room for one sleeping bag, that's it.

Now, there are folks who are used to backpacking who like living the minimal thing and will slide into a one person tent. Try it and see if you like it. Then think about doing that while it is raining.

I still remember seeing someone buying a 4 person tent and then TWO queen mattresses. They should fit right? 4 people fit in 2 queen air beds. Yes, I did point out that they should look at the measurements of the tent and mattresses. :)
Old 05-22-2015, 09:21 PM   #13
jsb223
ADV Rookie

Oddometer: 1,238
Camping in Texas I like a tent large enough for me and all my clothes, gear, helmet, etc. Lessens the chance of bugs, ants, scorpions, surprising me 5 min into the next days ride.

Do the most research trying out sleeping pads.

Camp sleeping comfort can make or break your trip.

I started with a $14 Academy "scout tent" but quickly found I need more ventilation.
jsb223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:23 PM   #14
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,428
Bags for 2? Definitely buy 2 bags that can be zipped together. You can still use them separated but you also have the convenience (and heat).
Old 05-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #15
portablevcb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
PS if you have been camping before, just not on the bike, then go to REI. They have a great return policy. So, you can get some equipment and if it isn't quite right then take it back and get what you want.

Good way to 'try out' sleeping bags, tents and air mattresses/pads.