Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.63 average. Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #91
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Does the 2013 2.0L have a cam belt, too?
Yes, the new (since 2011) FB series have a belt.

The Subaru H6 has a chain - and 7.5qt oil capacity.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #92
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Oddometer: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Dang, I used to know a guy named southforkspeedster! Nice guy, but always seemed to break his riding buddies
you still know me, you just had to start riding in Mexico, so I would not hurt you

SFS
southforkspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #93
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish1 View Post
Does he want to refresh my old 1989 BMW 325is engine?
As a resident E30 idiot, I wouldn't bother "refreshing" one of those motors. You can't break them as long as you don't let the timing belt go. I busted a motor mount on course, and drove 100 miles home not even knowing it with the engine tilted in the bay. Simply amazing motor and car. I'm still kicking myself for selling my last '89 325is (1 of 4 E30s I've owned) and keep threatening to try and get my favorite one back from who I sold it to.

Keeping on track, I had a question similar to the downfall of the M20 in afore mentioned E30: is the scooby motor interference? I remember the talk of the compression ratio and the like, but don't recall it being mentioned. If it is, does this concern you?
Old 12-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #94
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
As a resident E30 idiot, I wouldn't bother "refreshing" one of those motors. You can't break them as long as you don't let the timing belt go. I busted a motor mount on course, and drove 100 miles home not even knowing it with the engine tilted in the bay. Simply amazing motor and car. I'm still kicking myself for selling my last '89 325is (1 of 4 E30s I've owned) and keep threatening to try and get my favorite one back from who I sold it to.

Keeping on track, I had a question similar to the downfall of the M20 in afore mentioned E30: is the scooby motor interference? I remember the talk of the compression ratio and the like, but don't recall it being mentioned. If it is, does this concern you?
It is interference. It is a concern and has been discussed. We've decided we're just not going to break our timing belt, so there should be no issues.

But seriously, that is the issue with these Subaru motors, all you can do is keep up on timing belt maintenance. There is a small optional bracket that helps to keep the timing belt from skipping a tooth if the motor goes backward (like rolling backward in gear). And we installed brand new timing belt covers. A lot of the street Subie guys like to run them naked for some reason. But it just doesn't make sense for us to expose that belt to sand, rocks and liquid contaminants. If we lose a timing belt on the course, the race is probably done. Although if we can tow it to the bivouac, we may just have enough parts for David to put something back together
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #95
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Yes, the new (since 2011) FB series have a belt.

The Subaru H6 has a chain - and 7.5qt oil capacity.
Thanks, for that info. GF and I have been tossing around a Subaru, for her next car. I thought the H6 was chain, but, wasn't sure if the newer 4 cylinder was and couldn't find any info on their site.

Totally, enjoying this thread!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #96
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Thanks, for that info. GF and I have been tossing around a Subaru, for her next car. I thought the H6 was chain, but, wasn't sure if the newer 4 cylinder was and couldn't find any info on their site.

Totally, enjoying this thread!
FWIW, Subaru timing belts are generally a pretty easy job compared to most transverse-mounted engines.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #97
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
FWIW, Subaru timing belts are generally a pretty easy job compared to most transverse-mounted engines.
I thought they were longitude mounted in the scooby?

OC, I guess if it is a brand new belt and components, you should be fine. And keeping it covered up is a REALLY good idea I'd think given the use (abuse) it is going to undertake. I might think twice, though about that guard you mentioned as precaution. You've got a couple grand tied up in the motor, and the damage from losing a belt can be pretty ugalee. DAMHIK (just with the afore mentioned M20 from the bimmer...)
Old 12-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #98
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,697
Quote:
I thought they were longitude mounted in the scooby?
Correct, that's why it's easier—just a lot more room to work in.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #99
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
I might think twice, though about that guard you mentioned as precaution. You've got a couple grand tied up in the motor, and the damage from losing a belt can be pretty ugalee. DAMHIK (just with the afore mentioned M20 from the bimmer...)
The guard is on there. We definitely are taking every precaution we can to minimize all of the known issues for these cars. And I really appreciate the comments and questions!

Old 12-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #100
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
The guard is on there. We definitely are taking every precaution we can to minimize all of the known issues for these cars. And I really appreciate the comments and questions!

One winter day the wife went outside, started the car and left some sorta animal parts all over the driveway as she pulled out into the street. Didn't make it a mile before the battery completely died, stranding her in a church parking lot. A squirrel had decided the alternator belt would be a great place to sleep. Snapped the belt during the process of transforming itself into Saturn sausage. I don't know if squirrels are common in Baja, but those covers are there for a reason.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #101
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
One winter day the wife went outside, started the car and left some sorta animal parts all over the driveway as she pulled out into the street. Didn't make it a mile before the battery completely died, stranding her in a church parking lot. A squirrel had decided the alternator belt would be a great place to sleep. Snapped the belt during the process of transforming itself into Saturn sausage. I don't know if squirrels are common in Baja, but those covers are there for a reason.

oregoncoast screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 10:32 PM
Old 12-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #102
Mr. Fisherman
FTW! FIT! FIN! FYYFF

Oddometer: 10,411
Shouldn't this be in Racing... or a new threat called shiny things going fast in Southern climates?

Enjoying the build...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #103
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,169
Quote:
We've decided we're just not going to break our timing belt, so there should be no issues.

Yup, blind faith and dumb luck can accomplish amazing things.

Hey Paul , recently found and just caught up. Best of luck with your current dive into the deep end.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #104
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Shouldn't this be in Racing... or a new threat called shiny things going fast in Southern climates?

Enjoying the build...
Thanks Ray....wasn't sure whether Shiny Things or Racing was a better location for this. I figured the Mods would move it if they felt this wasn't the right place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadless View Post
Yup, blind faith and dumb luck can accomplish amazing things.

Hey Paul , recently found and just caught up. Best of luck with your current dive into the deep end.

Been wondering what the hell took you so long to get here, Mike. We might just have to take a detour to the Santa Barbara area on our way through! This time, you're buying the beer and steak!
Old 12-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #105
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,169
Quote:

Been wondering what the hell took you so long to get here, Mike. We might just have to take a detour to the Santa Barbara area on our way through! This time, you're buying the beer and steak!
Deal.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: