Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #61
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradogoose View Post
I'm enjoying the build and the story behind it makes it even better. It kinda makes me want to find a sportster to do a similar thing to but anything HD is WAY overpriced here.
I work with a few bicycle mechs from Florida who have since relocated to colder climes. Been doing it for 16 years myself. I love making people happy but the $ ain't all that great. The bicycle/motorcycle connection is an interesting one. It seems to either REALLY be there or not at all. It just depends on the person I guess.
Anyway, thanks for the good read and I look forward to seeing the progress.
-Mike

Glad you are digging it. At least you can feel my pain as to why this project is slow going. Down here the market is so saturated with bikes that a Sporty in good shape can be had under $3 k. I have a lot of mechanic friends scattered throughout the various bike shops in the region and many have the MC sickness. If you are going to catch a bug, the motorcycling one ain't a bad way to go.

Here's a pic of a bike built by one of them...

I decided to scrap the wheel build that I have here and do an Excel rim on the HD hub. Going to save the old high shoulder hoop for a chopper project. I don't want to drill that pretty old thing in order to fit my bead lock. New front caliper will be here in about a week. The Hayes caliper is a bit too wide to clear properly even with shaving. Since I am running the exhaust behind the shock I need my rear wheel fitted in order to get proper measurements. I seem to be in a "waiting for shit to come in" limbo right now. I did score a nice gas tank only to have it destroyed in shipping. Hey USPS, right here guys!!
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:24 AM   #62
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

So I finally found some free time which allowed me to get out to the garage. It's sprung solo seat mountin' time !!

Picked up a Biltwell Solo with the tuck n' roll pattern. I really dig the vintage look and from what I gather from the chopper crowd, they are one of the more comfortable seats on the market.

Time to test the height. I want the seat a bit high up in order to give a good seat to peg distance. I'm not too worried about touching the ground since I have a 32 inch inseam. Also the solo seats on early Sportsters were mounted high above the frame and I dig the look.

This should work out just fine...

Not nearly as useful as a towel but it gets the job done...

One thing that I wanted was to have the seat be removable. I also don't want to cut or weld to the original frame of the bike so I wanted to use the stock saddle's mounting points.

I started with an A frame that will tuck under the tongue on the frame just behind the gas tank.

Mmmm....Like a glove!! I set up my measurements so that the springs will ride on top of the frame rail. By the way , when I say "measurements" I am using that term quite loosely. I tend to measure just to get an idea of where to start and then I eyeball it from there. I treat bike building like an art rather than a science and kind of dig the little imperfections that come from doing it this way. If you are anal about perfect measurements and expect little stacked coin types of welds then NOW is the time to stop reading my build thread!!!

My crossover plate that will hold the springs.

I bent up a piece of flat stock that matches the curve of the fender. It will allow me to use the original seat mounting hole in the fender.

In order to have the hinge clear that frame tongue I built a little arch that spans the front of the seat frame. I also cut down a couple of screws that I will weld to the plate at the rear of the seat frame in order to bolt down the springs.

The beginnings of my "high post" style seat hinge.

All welded up....Can you tell where I had the wire speed set WAAAAY too high? It looks like I welded the hinge only to have a pigeon shit on the weld directly after it's completion.

Now to get to the upper hinge that bolts to the underside of the seat pan.

Have I mentioned that I tend to overbuild things? Years of Freeriding on MTB's and riding dirt bikes has taught me that it usually sucks when things break....I try to make parts that won't break...

Bolt everything together for a test fit...And the Scramster has a seat!!!

Time to disassemble and it's off to the professional paint booth... AKA a can of Rustoleum, some wire, my yard and the curing shelf in my garage.

I was also able to mount up my newly machined Harley disc to my XL wheel. The guys at the shop nailed it!!

Updates will be getting more and more frequent now that I have some parts and time ....

Of course my time is being split between work, projects and my girl so please be patient with me.....

I hope you all can forgive me for being "distracted" at times.

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 06:42 AM
Old 10-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #63
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Bolt everything together for a test fit...And the Scramster has a seat!!!
And some leg room! Your knees thank you
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #64
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
And some leg room! Your knees thank you

An HD with ground clearance AND leg room??!! what will the neighbors think?!!
Old 10-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #65
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:

Of course my time is being split between work, projects and my girl so please be patient with me.....

wow.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #66
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
wow.
Yeah, not quite sure how I pulled that one off! and she loves bikes !!!
Old 10-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #67
Dirt Road Cowboy
Treasure Hunter

Oddometer: 385
Quote:

She looks like Jolene Blalock with red hair - Way Too Hot!

66 CT200/Lifan 140 (Trail 90) Build Report
XR100 engine and misc. parts, waiting for the Mad Scientist treatment!
Dirt Road Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #68
Brian Keith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Great Thread

I'm subscribing!
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #69
Ed_in_miami
Cubicle Traveler

Oddometer: 1,256
Suscribed!!!
Take as long as you need, but post more pic of her!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #70
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_in_miami View Post
Suscribed!!!
Take as long as you need, but post more pic of her!

Let me see what I can do about that...
Old 11-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #71
WYO George
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
I love where this build is going, gives me ideas for that sportster that's for sale down the street.....
Old 11-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #72
brooks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
There is a company that sells scrambler set up for Harleys, I can't remember the name off the top of my head though after seeing the beautiful pixie.
p.s what is the tattoo on the arm covering up?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #73
brooks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
http://www.chopcult.com/news/article...rly-brand.html

Here is the link to the scrambler stuff.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #74
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,187
I'll be following along with your thread and eagerly awaiting updates. Interested in seeing how you tackle the various changes in your scrambler conversion since I'm really interested in doing one myself.

Seeing the painted parts above hanging to cure made me think of something I could maybe contribute.... Not sure how many parts you may want black (or any color for that matter), but just wanted to mention (in case you didn't see my post about it buried somewhere back in the Go Sportsters thread) the Harbor Freight powder coating machine I bought earlier this year. I can't remember exactly how much it cost me but I'm thinking that with a 20% off coupon I printed off their website that is was under 50 bucks. I've used it on several things on my Sporty so far and have been really impressed with how it's worked. It's easy to use, powder coat is generally more durable than rattle can paint, cures to full hardness in minutes instead of days, no worries about overspray settling on other things in the garage, no noxious fumes, and it's actually cheaper than decent paint in a can. One $10 jar of powder goes a pretty good ways, so if you do a few things the cost savings will actually more than pay for the machine itself. I've baked all of my parts in the kitchen oven and haven't noticed anything bad afterward either, even though I do open a window in the kitchen area with a box fan blowing out.

My "coating booth" is just a large cardboard box that I set out on the driveway just outside the garage door. "Overspray" is just powder, so if it does land on other vehicles, or whatever, it's harmless. One side of my box is open and I just hang the parts inside with coat hangers and wire so I can rotate them to coat with powder. Then just move the parts by their hanging wires to hang in my preheated oven to cure. 20 minutes or so at 250* (I think! It may be higher, but whatever) and then leave them in the oven to slowly cool. Once cool they're ready to mount and use. The parts in your pic above, for example, could be coated, cured and ready to install in about an hour total probably.

I highly recommend anyone that makes small brackets and such, or anyone that just wants to coat stock parts, to pick one up. I wish I had gotten one years ago, and know I'll never be without one now. I know I'll continue to find tons of uses for it.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 12:54 PM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #75
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Glad to have you on board Randy! You know I had been checking out that rig from Harbor Freight but was pretty skeptical. Think I may pull the trigger after reading your post.

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 12-06-2013 at 06:56 AM