Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 03:47 AM   #76
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 143
Love the "baking oven" procedure, Randy. I used a similar idea when assembling my helicopter blade grip assembly.
Hint: Wait until your wife goes to work before proceeding.
Rob
Old 12-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #77
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKite View Post
Love the "baking oven" procedure, Randy. I used a similar idea when assembling my helicopter blade grip assembly.
Rob

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #78
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKite View Post
Rob
Oh yeah, FOR SURE!!

I don't get it. I mean, an oven is MADE for baking things, isn't it? But, IDK... some women can be kinda funny about that sorta thing.... They're just weird like that I guess....

Before powder coat I've used the kitchen oven for baking painted parts a bunch of times over the years. VHT brake caliper paint, for example, is pretty good for spray bomb stuff. It's resistant to brake fluid and other solvents but it has to be baked for like an hour at around 200* to achieve that result. Now that IS a different story! Even if you let the paint air cure and think it's done, it will still give off plenty of volatiles and STINK to high heaven when baked! If you ever try that, you better make sure she's gonna be gone for a good long while. First time I baked painted shit in the kitchen, I used the usual fan in window thing so the fumes didn't build up in the house too bad, and cleared pretty quickly after turning the oven off. BUT, the next time I cooked in the oven, the pizza came out tasting FUNNY!

Umm... I don't know honey. It does taste a little weird this time, doesn't it? Wonder if maybe it's old, or maybe got thawed out in transit or something....

What did I learn from that?

Funny how many hurdles we'll jump through for the booty, ain't it?

Anyway, do your thang, then run the oven through its self cleaning cycle to "burn" away any lingering aftereffects. That's why I said to wait until she's gonna be gone a while.... my oven takes like 4 hrs or something to do the self clean thing... But, once I learned that little trick she was never the wiser...

Just tricks of the man trade, but hey! Gotta EARN that man card somehow, and sharing hard learned wisdom is part of paying our dues....

Powder coat is much simpler.... No noticeable outgassing.... Just bake and the pizza tastes fine later...

And Ginger, yeah I was skeptical too. I read some reviews on a few forums though and it was mostly favorable. I can't compare it to better, more expensive or professional equipment, or say how long it'll last, but for the money I spent I'm very satisfied so far. It works. Hell, if it crapped out tomorrow I'd have no problem stopping by and gettin' another one just like it.

Here's a mounting bracket I built for my licks solo bag since I didn't like the way they mount and didn't want it rubbing on my paint...

In my highly specialized custom powder coating "spray booth" after being powder'd with HF matte black powder...

And after curing...

And with bag mounted...

Don't want to derail Ginger's thread, but if anyone is interested in more details about the Lick's Bag mount, I did a thread on it over on xlforum HERE earlier this year.

I posted that last pic because you can also see the freshly powdered shock springs and longer sidestand (both from a Roadster) that used to be chrome.

And to prep for the powder, I used this high tech as hell, sandblasting unit...

It started life as an el cheapo HF spot blaster ($13.99) LINKY. It comes with a little bag hopper originally and didn't work for shit! But, I stuck it back and kept it anyway. Then, when I started this project I took it out and tried it. Of course, it still didn't work for shit! Mainly because the hopper bag holds just enough so that once you start blasting it's empty. But, when I had it out and had the bag off to fill with sand (lasted about 5 seconds on a refill) I thought about how a regular hopper fed blasting unit worked.... I took a bucket of sand, dug around in my junk bin and pulled out a length of vinyl tubing that fit the pickup tube, stuck the other end in the bottom of the bucket of sand and, VIOLA! Worked like a champ! Wouldn't want to use it for a big item but for small parts it worked pretty good to enable me to get a good anchor profile on the steel for good adhesion of the cured powder coating, and didn't cost much of anything.

If you do decide to buy one (or anything more than a few bucks at HF), don't forget to google "Harbor Freight coupon" They almost always have a "20% OFF any one item" coupon available. I've never had a store give me any shit about 'em. Even when I went through the line more than once in a row to buy more than "any one item" with additional coupons. Saved a good bit when I picked up the HF bike lift too....

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-po...ift-99887.html

It also works great and is on sale right now for $179 if anyone needs such a thing. And you can still get the extra 20% off that price with the coupon. At least I did when I got mine earlier this year. Oh! And mine came with an added bonus of a highly specialized custom powder coating "spray booth"!

Weird though... They're very efficient in the way they packaged the lift inside the spray booth. Great bargain for a little over 150 bucks.

Ok, sorry for the hijack! But maybe someone reading a build thread might get something out of the above since we tend to be tinkerers...

Carry on! And get to work on this build you slacker.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 12-11-2013 at 07:26 PM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #79
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oh yeah, one more thing to add to the powder coating rig subject for those that may be interested in trying it...

Read the instructions of course... well, yeah... I know that's a stupid thing to say since all real men always read the instructions.

But other than that... don't expect the powder to go on like paint. The gun kinda just puts out a fog of powder and the electrical charge attracts this "fog" to the part. If you remember to connect the lead to the part that is... But, there is a lot of this "fog" that just passes by the part and settles to the bottom of the spray booth. The powder isn't expensive so I didn't worry about it, but if you're frugal and want to save powder, just put a piece of clean plastic on the bottom of the booth before you spray so you can collect the uncontaminated, unused powder.

And yet another tip... Like paint, you can do multiple coats of powder to build up a thicker and more abrasion resistant coating. Just do it once all the way through to baking and cooling. Then do it again. The baking will soften the first coat and allow the subsequent coats to fuse so that in the end you have one thick coat. Much like how you want to recoat paint before the preceding coat has cured so that they'll merge into one. But, unlike paint, you do want to cure the first coat first since it's the heat of baking and not solvents that will allow the bonding of the different coats.

Powder is also easier, in my experience, to build up pretty thick without worrying about runs, drips, or sags.

OH! And, DO NOT touch the wand tip while the unit is on, or until you have discharged it after using and turning it OFF. Ask me how I know this...
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 12-11-2013 at 06:30 PM
Old 12-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #80
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Randy, thanks for posting that up. I dig that you are contributing to the thread and welcome participation from others as well. This build is a learning experience for me since it is my first "real" mc build. If others can learn tips, tricks, etc from the info in it so much the better.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #81
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Randy, thanks for posting that up. I dig that you are contributing to the thread and welcome participation from others as well. This build is a learning experience for me since it is my first "real" mc build. If others can learn tips, tricks, etc from the info in it so much the better.
Yeah man. That's why I'm readin' this thread... to pick up tips and tricks that'll help me when and if I ever get around to building the "Scramster" idea I've had rattling around in my noggin for the last few months. Glad you didn't mind my small "contribution" as "payment" for the things I take away from your ideas. I sorta hate to "step on" someone else's build thread with my own tinkerin' but I figure a lot of people that read threads of this type are kinda like me and pick up little ideas that can be useful in their own projects.

Being a cheap-ass with limited funds, I try to find economical solutions to help me afford my projects. Just wanted to show people that you don't have to have a lot of dough tied up in equipment to get good results. And with paying for powder coating it's usually much more economical to carry all your parts in at once as a "batch". But, I know for me, it doesn't work out that way. So, being able to do it at home, piece by piece as they're built, allows me to afford a better finish on all the parts as needed. Although the pics I posted pretty much suck (taken with my iPhone) and really don't show it, the finish quality is really quite nice, and the ease of the process can make the HF powder coat rig a real bargain for projects of this sort. Same with the little spot blaster for helping the coating adhere well to small parts.

And the bike lift is much more stable than the more typical under-the-bike-lifts, lifts the bike up to three feet in the air for good access, and supports the bike fully from the frame so you can remove the front and rear suspension. I looked at a lot of lifts before settling on this one. One of the most common complaints on most of the others is that on some of them the hydraulic rams go out and can't be replaced, rendering the lift just so much scrap iron. When I looked at one of these I could see that when and if the ram does crap out, due to the way this one is designed, it'll be pretty easy to pick up a cheap scissor jack from the nearest junk yard, and with a little simple fabrication, use it to replace the ram. That'll provide nice controllable up and down, and can be ran off of a variable speed drill motor for ease of operation if you want. And will pretty much last forever without a problem. ALMOST makes me want the ram to crap out, just so I can make it "better". But, in the meantime it's working great just as it came.

Looking forward to your next installment...
Old 12-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #82
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,863
Are you riding this to the Polar Bear?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #83
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Are you riding this to the Polar Bear?

Right now that's the plan. Hopefully I am able to get it all together and tested prior to the shindig. If not I will ride up on the KLX. Are you headed to the Polar Bear ?

Old 12-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #84
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
And the bike lift is much more stable than the more typical under-the-bike-lifts, lifts the bike up to three feet in the air for good access, and supports the bike fully from the frame so you can remove the front and rear suspension. .... But, in the meantime it's working great just as it came.
+2 on how great and useful the Harbor Freight forklift style motorcycle lift is. I have access to both a industrial motorcycle lift table like is used in the dealerships shops, and the HF lift Randy mentioned. The HF lift is used much much much more than the lift table. As long as you have a frame under your motorcycle, I can't see any reason to use the lift table instead. The HF lift is that useful. I had a Road King that we rebuilt on my HF lift all winter long, and it held it great. I was nervous about it supporting 900+/- pounds at first, but soon learned to trust it, and eventually even get under the motorcycle when needed to service the undercarriage, like changing tires; that's not something easy to do on a lift table.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #85
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Right now that's the plan. Hopefully I am able to get it all together and tested prior to the shindig. If not I will ride up on the KLX. Are you headed to the Polar Bear ?
No need to test it Just ride it.

Planning on the Polar Bear, see ya there.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #86
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
No need to test it Just ride it.

Planning on the Polar Bear, see ya there.

Cool, see you there.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #87
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Teaser...

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 12-16-2013 at 08:57 PM
Old 12-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #88
Ginger Beard OP
I have no soul

Two sneaky animals that really are no help on this project...Okay, they do provide me with comic relief at times. I have built a lot of bicycle wheels so I figured I would give building this wheel a go. I had already scored a late model Dyna hub from Ebay but I needed a hoop and spokes to go with it. I ordered an 18x2.5 Excel from Woody's Wheel Works as well as their oversize spokes and nipples. Zach was awesome and got my order processed quick. Ordered Monday afternoon and had it Friday morning. Thanks!

I see you ...BOTH of you!!

Spoke number one.... One thing that was odd for me is that the spokes cross but don't weave like a bicycle wheel. I already knew this since I have been truing my own MC wheels since I was a kid but it was still counter intuitive when building the wheel.

All the lower spokes in place. I thought that it looked kind of neat like this and contemplated just leaving it this way for arts sake. Wucha think?

Okaaaay..Moving right along....

Time to set the rim in place and start putting on the nipples...Hehe, NIPPLES!! I'm freakin' 12.....

Much like the hokey pokey you will have left and right legs in... Time to go the other way. (Don't tell The Duck Dynasty guy that we are going both ways in this thread...)

If you have a bit of "fluff" on you, this part may be a bit tedious. Under and over...

The other side is rinse and repeat so I won't bore you with a rerun.

Last nipple and I have a loose lace. WOOHOO! I also have a TenFidy which should make the rest of this go by more "smoothly".

Now to put it into my "custom" truing stand (patent pending) and get this thing useable!!

Hey look, a dirt wheel for an HD !!

Just waiting on my rim locks to show up so that I can get the wheel mounted.

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 12-30-2013 at 07:34 AM
Old 12-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #89
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
lookin good,,OBTW why wait for rim locks??? ya coulda,,,,

Quote:
Two sneaky animals that really are no help on this project...Okay, they do provide me with comic relief at times. I have built a lot of bicycle wheels so I figured I would give building this wheel a go. I had already scored a late model Dyna hub from Ebay but I needed a hoop and spokes to go with it. I ordered an 18x2.5 Excel from Woody's Wheel Works as well as their oversize spokes and nipples. Zach was awesome and got my order processed quick. Ordered Monday afternoon and had it Friday morning. Thanks!

WOW !!this thing useable!!

LOOKING good,,,,FYI ya could be riding by now if you'da asked Zach for the proper HEAVY DUTY ones we have in stock
Have fun
later
woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #90
Brian Keith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
That is going to look killer. Of all the build threads I'm following this is my favorite.
Quote:

Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote