Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Hey Queen, any updates on this?
biensur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #92
Queen of Spades OP
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 782
Bike in still in pieces. Threw back out working in my garden a couple weeks ago. Pain city.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #93
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,768
Spades,
Sympathy and motorcycle prayers.
I'm a nurse so consider the source of this.
I hate back pain, it's a set up for disaster.
It is usually treated incorrectly.

So an old motorcyclist's advice.
Muscle relaxers X 5-7 days(Valium or Flexeril(your doctor will resist this idea unless he is experienced)), also concurrent with the muscle relaxers, Aleve(double dose X 2 days, then a regular dose for a week every 4-6 hours. Walk a block after one week extending the distance until you can walk 3 miles.

No narcotics.
Walk!

How do I know?
I treated many pain sufferers.
I have a broken and healed back and a blown R. knee.
I could only walk one block 5 years ago. My back was fragile. I had broke my pelvis riding in Bolivia and also got hit by a Lexus on the Mex border, Lymes Disease hit me hard in the midst of all that.

Once the pain is gone either hit the gym or do stretching exercises in your home.
START SLOWLY.

I skiid 34 miles in the Bierkiebiner race a couple of weeks ago.
I am 67 years old.

Fix that motorcycle, pain is a complex issue.
The expression of physical pain does not always identify the underlying problem.

Your mindbody is about a complex as your KTM.
It may resist.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 08:12 AM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #94
Queen of Spades OP
tall drink of water

Thanks for that Bill - appreciate the encouragement & prayer.

Is it bad to lean into the pain? I kinda can't avoid it when going from sitting to standing or vice-versa. But is it good to stretch into it, to loosen it up?
Old 03-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #95
dolphins13
orange rules

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
Thanks for that Bill - appreciate the encouragement & prayer.

Is it bad to lean into the pain? I kinda can't avoid it when going from sitting to standing or vice-versa. But is it good to stretch into it, to loosen it up?
No stretching until pain is gone or mostly gone. Ice and anti-inflammatories when it first gets hurt for 48 hrs, off and on. I keep it on as long as I can take it. 20 minutes I believe is the standard? Then heat and rest and anti inflammatories. Of course as much rest as possible until healed. Then you want to do stretching and strengthening to prevent this from happening again. I still work on my motorcycles if the pain isnt too much. Been dealing with a bad back since i hurt it in football back in 88. yoga, lots of core exercises and an herb called turmeric (a natural herb that helps with inflammation in the body). My back is as good as it can be. Still hurts all the time, just not the muscle spasm kind of hurt any more. When your back is truly out. You cant do chit. Working out for 30+ years. I dont know everything but I have learned a lot.
dolphins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #96
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins13 View Post
No stretching until pain is gone or mostly gone. Ice and anti-inflammatories when it first gets hurt for 48 hrs, off and on. I keep it on as long as I can take it. 20 minutes I believe is the standard? Then heat and rest and anti inflammatories. Of course as much rest as possible until healed. Then you want to do stretching and strengthening to prevent this from happening again. I still work on my motorcycles if the pain isnt too much. Been dealing with a bad back since i hurt it in football back in 88. yoga, lots of core exercises and an herb called turmeric (a natural herb that helps with inflammation in the body). My back is as good as it can be. Still hurts all the time, just not the muscle spasm kind of hurt any more. When your back is truly out. You cant do chit. Working out for 30+ years. I dont know everything but I have learned a lot.
+10, be gentle with yourself.
b

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #97
Queen of Spades OP
tall drink of water

Anyone know what I should be showing for voltage at the rear brake light socket? There are two power leads and a ground. One power lead is for the always-on light (dimmer), and the other for when the brake circuit is engaged. I'm showing that both have power -- one ~3v the other ~12v - with no brake applied. When brake is applied, both terminals show ~12v. Is this how it's supposed to be?
Old 03-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #98
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,050
Quote:
Anyone know what I should be showing for voltage at the rear brake light socket? There are two power leads and a ground. One power lead is for the always-on light (dimmer), and the other for when the brake circuit is engaged. I'm showing that both have power -- one ~3v the other ~12v - with no brake applied. When brake is applied, both terminals show ~12v. Is this how it's supposed to be?
Should be 0 and 12 with with the brake off. That 3volts is probably an induced voltage from that wire running up against other wires that are carrying current.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #99
Queen of Spades OP
tall drink of water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Should be 0 and 12 with with the brake off. That 3volts is probably an induced voltage from that wire running up against other wires that are carrying current.
Rear brake switch isn't working. Only the front lever/switch gives me a brighter brake light. Looks like something else I need to replace.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #100
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,050
Quote:
Rear brake switch isn't working. Only the front lever/switch gives me a brighter brake light. Looks like something else I need to replace.
Put a continuity tester on the switch and see if you are getting any continuity when the brake pedal is pressed.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #101
Queen of Spades OP
tall drink of water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Put a continuity tester on the switch and see if you are getting any continuity when the brake pedal is pressed.
Did that - ohmmeter confirmed a bad switch. Got the new one in a few days ago, installed it and my back brake light works now.

Tomorrow I plan to get the turn signals put back on & will go through the wiring once more to make sure I'm not overlooking any frays or bare spots. I'd love to get the thing back together and see how she runs with the new CDI.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #102
Queen of Spades OP
tall drink of water

Quick update - got the turn signals wired in with new replacement connectors (with rubber covers, like stock) and also replaced the stock glass 194's with LEDs.

On a final check before zipping the back fender/taillight back together, I noticed that the brake bulb is not being activated. Pulled all that apart, confirmed that I have continuity and ~14 volts on the taillight wire and when either brake is applied, the brake light wire as well.

The fault is in the brake light socket. I've replaced the bulb with several known good ones to make sure it wasn't a worn bulb contact point.

Plan to venture out to Autozone to see if they have a replacement push & twist socket that will work with my LC4. If I roll snake eyes there, I'll just order a replacement stock part and wait another week or so to put the back end together.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:23 AM   #103
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Somewhere there is a whole thread on a fix for the tail light.
I tried a search for you , but no luck.

Cheers
Old 04-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #104
Queen of Spades OP
tall drink of water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Somewhere there is a whole thread on a fix for the tail light.
I tried a search for you , but no luck.

Cheers
Before leaving for the auto store I removed the socket/harness and removed the connectors so I had bare wire. All three circuits (ground, tail, brake) now showed continuity. Cleaned up the contacts in the socket, replaced the old bullet connectors with new parts and tried again on the bike. This time it worked. I just had a faulty connection somewhere.

Cross-referencing the tail light thread you referred to:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665240

Next steps are to button up the tail end, then while I have this thing torn down, check valve lash. Have the motion pro feeler gauge and some new gaskets on hand.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #105
Queen of Spades OP
tall drink of water

Got the tailight section put together and it looks and works great. Everything is LED except the turn signals (which I prefer stock after trying the LED version).

Update on the purpose of this thread in next post...

Queen of Spades screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 07:25 PM
Queen of Spades is offline   Reply With Quote