User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
Clancy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,658
OCR and a bit more

Well, just to keep a couple of blokes off my back (You know who you are) I've got a chance to get this report started. It's not going to get done in a couple of days either

It's going to be a bit lengthy I think so if you're not a fan of dirt roads, camp sites and sunsets, you might want to read another report

This ride, or rather the planning of it, started around the campfire at the Wanaaring OCR, when it was decided that the 2012 ride would be to Cape York, and not Drysdale Station. The Kimberley was one of those must see places that I was going to go to regardless of where the OCR was going to be held so I had every intention of going in August in 2012. Unfortunately, life, grandkids and a few niggling health problems got in the way, so when it was finally announced for 2014 the planning started again.
Then around the fire at a sidecar rally a couple of years back, I got talking to Craig (Loveshack) and we decided to do it together. A few chats were had, and a night away to see if our ideas ran along the same lines, and departure date came around very quickly.
The plan was fairly loose, but it was Ouyen, Peterborough, a bit of the Flinders Ranges, Oodnadatta Track, Alice Springs, and the Tanami. After that it was pretty much a case of "We'll decide when we get there", with a few "must do" things thrown into the mix. We had roughly six weeks to cover as much ground as we could, and apart from being at Drysdale Station for the rally, no set time frame

Clancy screwed with this post 10-07-2014 at 07:15 PM
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
Clancy OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm not one of those blokes that sees something and immediately thinks of taking a pic, so there are going to be some gaps where I probably should have seen something worthy of a photo, but didn't.

Departure day - and it was cold and wet. The cold would stay with us for quite a while and overnight temps weren't much above 1* for the first couple of days.

First night, Ouyen pub. It's one of my regular overnight stops if I'm up this way. It's an oldie but a goody. The price is right, good meals, somewhere to put the bike away, and they are good people.

Clancy screwed with this post 10-07-2014 at 07:07 PM
Old 10-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
Clancy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 2 was the run up to Peterborough and again it was freezing when we fuelled up and got moving. Gave Mildura a bypass and went out from Redcliffs to Meringhur , Renmark and Morgan.

Still cold at Morgan

Stayed that night at Peterborough caravan park. Great park, great facilities. Thanks To Neil and his wife.

Peterborough Station and visitor centre.

There's a bike museum in town that's well worth a look too.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
Clancy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Next day it was STILL bloody cold I thought it would have warmed up a bit by now but we weren't going to thaw out until we got to Alice Springs.

After a refuel in Hawker we headed Along the Flinders Ranges Way, then turned off along Moralana Gorge road. Crusty Varmint had told us it was ok (Thanks Derek) and it was good dirt all the way back to the main road heading north towards Maree.

The Flinders would have to be one of my favourite places.

We were about half way along this stretch when one of the front mudguard mounts broke. Some cable ties and tape fixed it for now but it was to become a recurring problem.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Clancy OP
Beastly Adventurer

We arrived in Leigh Creek on a Sunday afternoon, with the intention of picking up some supplies, refuelling and keeping going. Then I got talking to a local that worked at the nearby engineering joint, so we deicded to at Leigh Creek and get my front guard repaired next day.

Leigh Creek Caravan Park.

Be warned, there's nothing open on a Sunday in Leigh Creek except the pub and the servo

Went around to get the guard mount welded and was told to come back at ten. So just up the road is the Copley caravan park/café. We went in to be greeted with "What the f$#@ do you two want" Long story short, he was having a lend Good bloke, two cups of coffee, breakfast, and a laugh - $20

Copley engineering - owner's a bit grumpy, but they do a good job

Old 10-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
Clancy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Back on the road by mid morning and the short run up to Farina and a look at the old town.

Unfortunately, the volunteers that run the bakery had left, but we had a look around. Great spot and the camp ground looks good too so I'll be back for the SA Ranges rally.

We pushed on to Maree and refuelled. We had tentatively pencilled this one in for an overnight stop but it was still early so we kept going.

Not much out here

A few of these though

Old 10-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #7
Clancy OP
Beastly Adventurer

The obligatory stop at Lake Eyre South

And then another stop we hadn't planned. We'd stopped for a break and heard the hissing noise. Out came the plugs and we were back on the road before it was completely flat. Maybe too quick

Old 10-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
Clancy OP
Beastly Adventurer

More of this

and most of it wasn't too bad. A few patches of corrugations and we hadn't yet gained the nouse to get up on top of them. That was to come later though, and about here, the front guard mounts broke again, but in a different spot More tape and cable ties.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #9
Clancy OP
Beastly Adventurer

By mid afternoon we were ready for a break so pulled in at Coward Springs. Good campground, and while I did a bit of maintenance, Craig went off for a dip.

Sunsets weren't bad either

Old 10-07-2014, 09:59 PM   #10
Clancy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Got up the next morning to find that Craig's rear tyre was flat again. Remembering what I'd said earlier, maybe the fix the day before was a bit quick. Craig replaced the plug he'd put in the day before and never had another problem.

Along with the now gone Yellow Bus, these would have to be some of the most photographed "That shouldn't be here" things you'll come across. I've got about six different shots of these, and still keep taking pics of them

Next stop was here

Got talking to the bloke that owns most of the stuff around here and told him I needed some welding done. He was about to go and test fly a plane but gave us the run of the workshop and left. We spent an hour or so repairing the front guard and mounting it on a piece of rubber to absorb some of the shock, put some $ in the RFDS tin, had a beer and left.

The track hadn't been too bad but we were still having trouble getting on top of the corrugations. This was the first time I'd done it on an outfit so I was thinking it maybe had something to do with the third wheel.

Anyway, by mid afternoon we started looking for somewhere to light a fire. We weren't going to make Algebuckina before the critters came out but found a nice spot a bit before.

Clancy screwed with this post 10-07-2014 at 10:06 PM
Old 10-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #11
Nev..
wannabe advrider

Oddometer: 231
I'm not the right Nev, but this is a ripper report so far :)
Old 10-08-2014, 01:24 AM   #12
Clancy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev.. View Post
I'm not the right Nev, but this is a ripper report so far :)

Old 10-08-2014, 01:35 AM   #13
Clancy OP
Beastly Adventurer

By this stage we were getting into a routine, well almost of getting up at daylight, getting on the road fairly early, and getting off the road by mid/late afternoon, giving us a bit of time to get set up and have a feed before dark.

We were up next morning and having a look around at Algebuckina bridge before mid morning. There were still a few 4x4s and caravans there so it would have been a bit crowded the night before.

Next stop - lunch at Oodnadatta.

By now, the road was improving

Lunch and refuel

A bit more of this

And we popped out onto the bitumen at Marla, booked a donga because the nights were still bloody cold, and went to the pub for a feed.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:41 AM   #14
Clancy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Next day saw us on the bitumen all the way to Alice.

A few breaks along the way.

A stop for the border crossing

and we were in Alice by 2.30. No more photos here, but we met up with three fellow members from the Monarchs club, Moggy on another outfit and Brian and Mel on solos.
Craig and I had planned on a 2 day stop in Alice but the others were leaving in the morning so we made the decision to leave when they did.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:52 AM   #15
Clancy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Fuelled up the night before and we were ready to tackle the Tanami next morning.

First fuel stop was Tilmouth Well and we took the opportunity of filling all our reserve containers. Then it would only be a top up at Yuendumu, before the long haul across to our next fuel at Billiluna.

We'd been told that the Tanami was in as good a condition as it's been for a while but to start with, it was a bit of a chore. The front mudguard broke again, but this time the guard itself started to disintegrate so it was a case of keep taping it up.

And at last the weather was getting better and from here on it just got warmer.

After topping up the tanks in Yuendumu we covered another 30 or so kms and pulled off the road for the night.