User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 02:24 AM   #31
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Oddometer: 96
Wyndham Five Rivers Lookout

This is up above Wyndham at the Five Rivers Lookout. It was steamy hot and the wet season was kicking in with full force. Again I was alone in my travels, I could see where a fleet of tour buses and many cars could park, mobs of people could BBQ whilst enjoying the views but I had the place to myself. Click to watch the video.

Hoonatic Ty screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 04:34 PM
Hoonatic Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #32
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Prison Boab Tree Near Wyndham/El Questro Station

After leaving Wyndham I ventured out to see this tree that was on my map. After nearly losing my way, having a bit of a spill off the bike in the mud, I found it. The off in the mud and close calls in the river crossings made me think a bit more carefully of my situation, alone, start of the Wet Season and a good chance of not seeing anyone for a while. Still when you come across things like this tree by yourself it tends to make it all worth while. Adventure and discovery is a cool thing
Old 01-08-2013, 04:40 AM   #33
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Kununurra & Ivanhoe Crossing

I travelled further on from the tree through El Questro Station bushland for miles to complete a loop back onto the road. Not far from the Gibb River Road I was met with a locked gate... Respecting the sign on it, I doubled backed on the 50km I had just rode . My frustration evaporated in no time, just like my sweat in the steaming conditions as I rode through the magnificent country with its water crossings, ridge lines, unfamiliar tree types and palms. I saw things that I had missed the first time through and the tough sections were familiar but make-able tests of skill. I like how difficulties take a different light when you are having fun!

It was on to the town of Kununurra, known for it prolific growing of fruit and vegetables and as I also found out Sandalwood. Acres of mangoes have made way for this exotic smelling wood all growing on the very fertile delta land below the Ord River Dam. Coupled with the favourable warm temperature and irrigation system from Lake Argyle everthing grows in quick times!

Ivanhoe Crossing, as inviting as it looks, crocodiles lurk in the waters waiting...

Native Fig Tree Kununurra Lookout, against all odds a seed, grew from a crack in a rock...

Old 01-08-2013, 05:07 AM   #34
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Ord River Dam, Lake Argyle

I had heard a lot about this place but nothing could prepare me for such isolated beauty. Fresh water, amazing fresh water... As you will hear me say in some of the following videos, riding in alone and experiencing it without a soul around really was a treat. I will let the footage and still shots speak for themselves.

My first view of the mighty Lake Argyle

Video from the lookout. Click to watch.

Top of the dam wall

On top of the wall looking towards the lake
url=http://tymatek3.smugmug.com/Travel/Ord-River-Lake-Argyle/27463729_DFDKQL#!i=2310392949&k=DSXK7Ng&lb=1&s=A][/url]

On top of the wall looking down the Ord River

Video from on top of the wall. Click to watch.

Video of riding from the bottom of the dam, over the top of it and into the lake. Click to watch.

Hoonatic Ty screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 04:36 PM
Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #35
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

My First Bike Border Crossing

I left the Ord River Dam and its Lake Argyle for the Western Australian and Northern Territory Border. Although I had flown over with commercial airlines and sailed my vessels and semi submersible oil & gas drill rigs over all Australian state and territory borders several times, never had I ridden or driven across one.

My first of many....

Video of the border crossing. Click to watch.

Video of just across the border, seeing a sign like that, this kid was happy! Click to watch.

Hoonatic Ty screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 04:37 PM
Old 01-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #36
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,758
Raindrop in the middle of your helcam lens totally evaps in 25s! Hats off to ya Ty. Its tough weather up there at this time of the year.

And watchu doin riding in lake argyle? You'd get a ticket for that... if someone was there to write it out
11 K1600GTL
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #37
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Timber Creek Breakdown

Not long after I got across the Western Australian ~ Northern Territory border a engine warning light came on my dash. Not the best scenario to present it's self in the middle of nowhere...

The bike shut down about 20 kilometres later. Shit. It was pretty much the middle of the day, middle of the wet season with the humidity off the scale and 40 degrees in the shade, if you could find it...

I checked the battery terminals as I had a sneaking suspicion due to the recent battery change and little power to the digital dash. Terminals all good. Mmm. Why? I told myself there in the middle of nowhere "these things are sent to test us" not that I had any want or need for a particular lesson at that time there...

The next car that came along in good ol' Aussie bush fashion pulled up, offered assistance and towed me 30 kilometres into an Aboriginal community near Timber Creek, N.T..

A top, helpful bloke and local mechanic Tim confirmed the battery was stuffed, it wouldn't take a charge even from the brand new state of the art charger we had to our disposal. (This battery was all of 12 days old!) Luckily Tim had a spare 12 volt car battery to sell. We promptly robbed an old car wreck of its battery terminals, connected it with a set of - & + leads from a battery charger that had died a week earlier, connected it all to the bikes battery and "tricked" the bike into thinking it had power to start and run. Bush Mechanics at its best. I was on my way again.

This was a lesson that taught me that like most new cars, bikes etc these days, once your battery dies, nothing else will work with out the computer telling it too. No longer can you jump start, roll start your bike/vehicle and it will run "as long as you don't turn it off!" Computers need power...

Another thing I discovered is that it is amazing how when your luck is down things can turn around for the better. Being positive pays.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Hoonatic Ty screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 06:13 AM
Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #38
turbobob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
Cool

Ty, good to hear all is well and that you have "charged" on. Would have been "revolting" in the heat stuck in a "shocking" situation, but you "amped" it up and made it "positive" and not "negative". Bad jokes sorry.

Yesterday I left work and rode to the servo on my way home. Jumped back on the bike after paying for fuel and my battery had crapped itself. Batteries have a mind of their own I reckon. Got a jump start and made it home but need to buy a new battery today.

Where to next for you? Pictures of the Tenere look awesome with red mud and dirt on it. Where ever you head in the next few months will be wet won't it? Keep em coming.
turbobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #39
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Looking forward to your adventure.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 AM   #40
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Darwin Town

I got to Darwin just in time to start my 5 week "swing" at sea on my offshore oil & gas rig tender vessel. It was nice to pull up on the Darwin Harbour wharf and have nice breakfast and reflect on my travels over the last few weeks.

Then it was time for work and a much needed shower!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #41
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

On the road again.

After my 5 weeks at sea I was certainly ready to get back on the road.

I had given the Tenere a birthday whilst she was in Darwin, new battery (I'm trying one of those Lithium Ion units, wow! So light and so much smaller!), new tires and heavy duty tubes front and rear and a oil and filter change. So both of us were set, primed and eager to go.

It was a short ride down to Adelaide River from Darwin where I was to meet up with Hydro at his cattle trucking yard. Most of the 100km ride was in torrential wet season rain but nothing could dampen my spirits, in fact, with the humidity it was welcomed. I was grinning away in my helmet the whole way.

It had been a couple of years since we had seen each other, but as always it was like yesterday. After 20 years of talking about it, the realization that it was all finally going to happen was fantastic. Two Aussie lads living a dream, a promise, a wish.

Hydro and I just before we rode out of his trucking yard.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #42
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Litchfield National Park, Northern Territory.

Hydro took me on a awesome loop of his local area into the Litchfield National Park. It was a beautiful day, the humidity had reduced to a tolerable heat and we were following all the dirt 'back block' roads from water fall, to swimming hole, to drinking hole!

I bought a SENA bike intercom set which I had fitted to my helmet and linked to my GPS but hadn't used it from bike to bike. Hydro was a bit scared of it before its first use but we were immediately grateful with it's practicality. It negated any need to pull up on the side of the road to decide what/where to do or go next and to work out what the other rider was trying to say with crazy hand, head and body gestures.

Florence Falls

Old 02-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #43
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Larrimah, Pink Panther Pub

After leaving the National Park, we rode the Stuart Highway south. Hydro knew a few of these outback pubs, all with their own peculiar novelties, humor and classic features. He picks up a delivers cattle all around the area and beyond with his three trailered 'road train' cattle truck.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #44
regie308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
good on ya's.... have a ball

IT's NOT GAY!... UNLESS THE BALL's TOUCH
regie308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #45
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 166
Great rr! Wish we had your bike available in Canada. We only have the big Tenere here. Ride safe.
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote