User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #46
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Oddometer: 96
Daly Waters Pub

Further on south we arrived at the historic Daly Waters pubs, wow what character this place had! Going inside blew me away, you could spend days in there reading and checking out all the weird and wonderful stuff hanging up. We couldn't refuse a few cold ones here, it just wouldn't be right!

Hydro out the front.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

The guard cat, not sure it was there to enforce the sign on the door or not...

The front bar, see what I mean about character...?

Game of pool anyone?

Even the fuel station directly across the road had its own crashed helicopter and crazy novelty items!
Hoonatic Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #47
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Threeways Roadhouse

Our last stop for the day was Threeways Roadhouse, we had intended to get further down the road but the crazy funny manager and the car loads of pretty backpackers convinced us otherwise. It was time to settle in, anyway after every fuel stop that day having a convenient drinking establishment, it was the right thing to do.

It's named "Threeways" due to the geographical location of the highway intersection that it sat on. South~ South Australia, East~ Queensland and North~ further into the Northern Territory. The choice is yours... We decided to go further south due to Queensland coping the flooding effects of Cyclone Oswald.

The impressive "3D" painting on the roadhouse wall. This place is somewhat of a trucking hub, transporting everything everywhere. Most of these truck are the 52 metre length ones. Road trains indeed.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #48
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Ayers Rock/Uluru

We left Threeways early the next morning to make the Rock before sunset. It's always a bit worry some riding so early or late with the wildlife still getting around. I saw two beautiful pure bred dingoes trot off the road to stop and watch us ride past. I wish I could of got a photo of them but the moment was over in a flash. It was cool to see their light tan coats in the reddish morning light, a chill could be felt at this time of the morning because we were leaving the tropical climate behind for the desert interior.

First stop for the day, Devils Marbles. It seemed that out in the middle of nowhere with nothing around you come across strange formations. Strong man Hydro.

Broken marble.

Wycliffe Well, I can not confirm or deny this place apparently has the highest rate of UFO sightings in Australia. The whole fuel station was painted up with UFO and Martian scenes, eating breakfast I walked around the whole time reading all the newspaper clippings, reports and checking all the photos. Erie, as we had planned to stay here if not for the Threeways hospitality the previous afternoon...

A town called Alice.

Hey Paul (pzs) sorry I didn't catch up with you in Alice Springs, but sincerely appreciate the offer of a place to rest and work on the bikes!

We briefly stopped in Alice Springs. As Hydro is a proud truckie, we took the time out to check out the "Roadtrain Hall of Fame". This place was filled with amazing memorabilia of transportation equipment. The stories, photos, machinery were great to browse through, you could of taken days in there to appreciate it all fully. We were like kids in a toy shop going from one awesome display to another. They certainly did things a lot tougher back in the "olden days"!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #49
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Ayers Rock / Uluru / Olgas

After a solid day of riding we made it into Yulara, the small township near Ayers Rock just before sunset. We were worn out but glad to witness the amazing sight of the sun going down on such an amazing Australian icon. I have seen this place in movies, school books, magazines, television etc for all my life but to actually be there in person finally was special to me.

The Rock from our accommodation on sunset.

The Olgas at sunset in the distance.

Before sunrise.

During sunrise.

Apparently due to the very clear sky conditions, the sunrise and sunset were not nearly as spectacular as it is when cloud is present. I was blown away none the less. I can appreciate how it is such a sacred spot.

The rock really is too big to get a close up and fit it all in!

Hydro, devo'ed after finding out we couldn't climb the Rock that morning due to the very windy conditions. Over 40 people have died from heart attacks attempting the climb and several more from falls and injuries. The local aboriginals do ask not to climb it as it is sacred to them. We sat wondering what to do for a few moments as we did not expect to travel so far and be denied by the park authorities. Heavy penalties apply if you climb without permission. Also the climbing was not allowed after 9am at that time of the year due to the heat and risks associated.

We took off to the Olgas about 40km distant, which many think are actually better to see and explore.

Amazing formations.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #50
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Ride Around Ayers Rock/Uluru Video

Since we were not allowed to climb the Rock, we did a loop of the road that circumnavigates most of it. We have the SENA wireless communication headsets on our helmets so you will hear us jibbering away to each other. These devices are great if your riding with others, it saves so much time, negates the use of crazy hand gestures and pulling up all the time to decide what next to do or where to go!

Click below to watch our video.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #51
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

To the border and beyond.

We rode back out to the highway from Ayers Rock/Uluru/Olgas to take us to the Northern Territory, South Australian border. I was starting to wonder if I was going to make it... The tyre I had fitted in Darwin was showing considerable wear and tear, this mainly due to the high speeds and temperatures experienced. The knobblies were cracking away from the body of the tyre, some missing altogether! We had hundreds of miles to go before we got anywhere near a bike shop. We were going to have to take is easy...

Curtin Springs, Lasserter Highway

Talking tyres or lack there of! Northern Territory/South Australian Border

We had planned to ride the Oodnadatta track south from Marla to Marree but as it was, I was doubtful if I could even make it to Coober Pedy via the highway. It was a matter of keeping positive and having the fingers crossed. It was my fault, I had chosen a more aggressive tread pattern for off road work and the blacktop sections, coupled with extreme heat had rapidly worn the rubber away.

Early morning start at Cadney Homestead. Hydro with his new Black Crow feather helmet wings.

The South Australian outback was the most desolate area I had ever ridden through, having lived on the coast and in the bush all my life, I had never been without trees and/or water around me. The lack of both amazed me.

Coober Pedy, particulary its northern side was an amazing landscape with all its excavated earth mounds from the under ground mining. The search for beautiful opals through this area continues. I learnt another lesson here as well, when you see a cool photo or filming opportunity, stop, get off the bike and do it! Otherwise you'll be like me and curse yourself later as that chance or scene doesn't repeat itself. I wasted great morning light and a chance to capture a surreal lunar landscape of the Coober Pedy surrounds. The picture is burnt into my memory but I only wish I could share it.

Lake Hart, this lake was huge but is in fact one of the smallest compared the others like Lake Eyre, Gairdner and Torrens in the area. The sand was hard going with only side knobblies for traction.

After no luck with a new rear tyre in Coober Pedy I limped into Port Augusta on canvas, the bike shop crew had thought I had been doing burn outs! With servere lack of traction I almost laid the bike over unceremoniously on the road just metres away from the shop as I U turned around a concrete traffic island. Luckily they had a compatible tyre and it was out with the old and in with the new. Relief, rubber style.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #52
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Down the Eyre Peninsular to Port Lincoln

We headed south from Port Augusta, my worries of a long wait on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere whilst Hydro went for a new tyre, gone. Confidence in our equipment re-established. Our destination was Port Lincoln, to cage dive with the Great White Sharks, White Pointers, Carcharodon Carcharias...

First stop was Whyalla, an iron ore town and previous ship building location for Australia. The red of the iron ore reminded me of my home state and North West area where I come from. The views from Hummock Hill gave a good position to check the surrounding area.

The navy vessel Whyalla built in its towns namesake during its ship building heyday. Now a feature part of the local maritime museum. We arrived too early in the morning to for me to satify my nautical history interests.

Views from the hill. The Spencer Gulf is renowned for its prolific seafood bounty in particular squid, cuttlefish, pink snapper, prawns and just outside of the area, tuna.

The iron ore load out area.

With the tyre concern behind us, away from the countries harsh interior and enjoying the cooler coastal climate we cruised the coast, stopping in at all the small fishing and holidaying towns. Grain and sheep farming became evident throughout the area.

Cowell pub.

Arno Bay, if you look closely you can see the floating tuna farm pens in the bay. Further south these pens are extensive with the farming of not only tuna but king fish and mulloway.

Arno Bay pub.

Port Neill, we met a Dutch couple traveling around Australia rising money for a orphanage in Vietnam. The bike was a 1940s Harley trike.

Although, there wasn't much going on in the town you could see at certain times of the year the place would be packed with holiday makers.

Tumby Bay. I'm not sure if it is that we are friendly country lads, because we're riding bikes or its the places we go, ( I have a feeling its a mixture of all points ) it seems everywhere we pull up we are making good friends, chatting with the locals and enjoying good company.

Destination Port Lincoln.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #53
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,696
In
sandgroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #54
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Something different to bikes...., SHARKS!!!

Even though we enjoy the traveling on the bikes it was nice to have a day off, get out of the saddle, clean up, recharge and enjoy something a little different...

Hydro and I went cage diving with the Great White Sharks, White Pointers or Carcharodon Carcharias at the Neptune Islands out from Port Lincoln in South Australia. What a day!

They were circling the vessel within minutes of anchoring... We had at least seven different Geat Whites 5 to 6 metres in length hanging about all day long. They were lured in by the burley trail and cast out chunks of fresh tuna caught on the way to the islands.

To have such massive alpha predators of the ocean gliding by, centimetres away, was truly amazing...

That's what I call a set!

Hungry shark making a splash video, click to watch

Going in...

Up close with the Great White Sharks video, click to watch.

Hydro and I afterwards, stoked!

Hoonatic Ty screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 07:53 AM
Old 02-20-2013, 03:21 AM   #55
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

From the Eyre Pennisular to the Victorian border

Refreshed from the previous days outing we saddled up and rode back up the Easten side of the Eyre Pennisular to Lucky Bay for a vehilcular ferry ride across the Spencer Gulf to Wallaroo.

Waiting for the ferry.

Riding onto the ferry video. Click to watch.

Coming into Wallaroo

After getting off the ferry we rode into Adelaide as I wanted to clear up any doubts I had on the Teneres electric system.

The ride through the city was interesting... After being in the outback and country areas for months it reminded me of why I love it so much exploring and discovering the unique areas away from these metropolitan areas...

The lads at Betta Bikes in Adelaide, who specialize in motorcycle electrics were able to confirm that my standard charging system could handle the amount of accessories I have on the bike. I could continue on without the niggling concern of having another shut down senario like I had in the Northern Territory. The new battery I had fitted before leaving Exmouth had in fact been a dud and the new lithium ion one I fitted once in Darwin was doing its job.

Coming into the coastal town of Kingston SE.

Historic restored lighthouse.

Robe coast.

Robe lighthouse.

Bikes and the coast.

Time for lunch.

From Robe we continued continued over the border into Victoria, Great Ocean Road, here we come.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #56
turbobob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Excellent

Great pics and reporting Ty!
turbobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #57
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Robe Point

Here is a little video of out on the Robe Point. Hydro is being his usual self, it pays to have a comedian, fool, clown, all round good bloke to keep the vibe happy and wondering where the next laugh is coming from. With us two, the laughs are by the minute...

Robe, South Australia. Click to watch
Robe Coast
Old 03-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #58
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Along the Great Ocean Road

Leaving South Australia we followed the Victorian "Great Ocean Road" along its southern coast in a easterly direction. We stopped at my dads old home town of Warrnambool for the night and then continued through to my sisters pace in Geelong. There we planned to do maintenance on the bikes, servicing, as well as buying a few things we realized we needed for our further travels and also sending stuff home that we had accumulated or didn't use. Weight and space is a premium with bike travel. It's certainly not like a car where you can just "throw it in the back"

The limestone coast shows amazing examples of erosion and the sedimentary layering.

This part of the Victorian coastline is also known as the "Shipwreck Coast" due to the very high number of vessels that have fallen foul to the regular ferocious weather and dangerous coast.

Riding on past the Portland coast they have several massive wind turbines, capturing energy. I can certainly agree on their ideal placement as it was the first time I have ever sat on the posted speed limit and have been too terrified to go any faster! The cross winds had us riding on 45 degree angles against the oceanic blast. It was hard to prepare for when you rode from in or out of a grove of trees, bridge or hill with the immediate reaction of the bike to take off violently one way or the other!

The London Bridge that has fallen down, if I remember rightly there was a woman and her daughter out on the bridge sight seeing when the main span section caved in. They had to be rescued by chopper. How's ya luck!!!

The Great Ocean Road has been cut into to the cliffs and rugged coastline and is quite spectacular. Unfortunately all my GoPro footage didn't work out well, I had several great action scenes chasing Hydro along the coastal cliffs and through windy forrest sections but on watching them, all I had was footage of my helmet visor! I even had footage of myself over shooting a corner and clipping the cliff cut away edge and shrubs! It was a wake call that we weren't out on the straight roads of the Northern Territory or South Australian outback anymore!

Pit stop at Lorne. Be aware it is best to do this road during the week as weekends and school/holiday times make it a pain, not a pleasure to ride.

The famous surfing mecca of Bells Beach, Torquay.

Lighthouse of Queenscliffe at the entry to Melbournes Port Phillip Bay. Next stop, the city of Geelong.

It seemed everywhere we pulled up, we were a more interesting sight to others than what ever we we there to look at...? Our dirty, dusty riding gear and red dust coated swags and dirt bikes with foreign state number plates intrigued many. Conversations were struck up from/by strangers all the time before we even had our helmets off.

I guess we stood out from other motorcyclists with their flash spaceship tourers, racy go fast rockets or the rowdy chromed cruisers.

We certainly weren't in Kansas anymore Toto, us country lads were in the city...
Old 03-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #59
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Crash...

Once reaching Geelong we worked on and sorted things out on the bikes that weren't always convenient to do out on the road. Tyres, oil, filters, sprockets, etc were replaced and equipment purchased for the Tassie leg and beyond.

I wasn't happy with my DriRider rallycross gear, most of the zips on the jacket had failed within a couple of months and also the pants seams were separating-tearing open on the thighs and they also have metal zips for vents on the inner thighs, yes, metal zips, inner thighs... My fuel tank now sports awesome gouges in the paint work adjacent to the ridiculous location of the the aforementioned zips.

I know adventure bikes are for exactly that, adventure. This will knowingly incorporate spills, crashes and scratches but just be aware if your in the market for new riding gear take into account functionality and logical thinking.

Anyway...I believe I set the Australian record if not the World record for testing a new jackets, bitumen bounce and grind ability. Now I said jacket, no pants as for the first time I rode with shorts, (I've had a few bike crashes in my time, most of them not my fault, so due to the pain and suffering incurred I've always worn my protective gear from then on.) Except. Well you maybe familiar with the story, its a warm day, I'm only going round the corner....

On Hydro and my return from the bike shop we rode together navigating to my sisters home, some 2.3 kilometres away. At about the 700 metre mark Hydro cut me off, thinking that the side road we were about to pass was my sisters. Locking up my bike in traffic I had nowhere to go but down, right down the road bouncing on my right shoulder and hip.

Friendly Fire aarrrhhhh!

Some how with adrenalin pumping and the wind knocked out of me we stood the bike back up, shooed away all the people, telling off Hydro, wanting to ring the ambulance etc and rode home. That's where I fell in a heap, seizing up and feeling the pain! It was off to the hospital for X-rays.

The brand new RST jacket now wasn't so new and the Tenere was a little scratched (protection bars, bark busters and brake snake worked a treat) and the handlebars needed straightening in the risers.

In Geelong emergency department.

We had to postpone the ferry tickets that we were to use that afternoon! Hydro was feeling guilty, I was feeling guilty! Shit! When was I going to be good to ride again...?

Pain and uncertainty.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #60
loxsmith
Good ol days my arse

Oddometer: 414
Just caught up on this RR, it was all good 'til your last post
Heal quick and ride on boys

Glen