Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
mcgiggle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
shipping PARTS from Mexico to New Jersey and back, best option?

Hi all,
I need to ship a rear shock from Mexico to New Jersey and back as quickly as possible in about 4/5 days time.
Can anyone recommend the best way/who to use for this? Also it is a warranty repair and I'm led to believe that this changes things with customs!???
Any help gratefully recieved.

Cheers
Pete

http://www.facebook.com/curryhunt
mcgiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
My first recommendation would be to find a local solution as that will always be infinitely easier and lower risk of losing the shock or getting seriously gouged for shipping. Failing that, use DHL. They're the best in Mexico in my experience. I just shipped my shock up to racetech in California for a rebuild and it cost about $70US and was there in less than 48 hours. Yes, for the return shipping they need to declare that it was in exchange for defective merchandise or for repair. Still Mexican customs may very well charge you IVA and duty on it. Luck of the draw. The only sure way to get it in without hassle/cost is to make it look used (if it's new) and hand carry it on a plane. That hasn't failed me yet. Just make sure you use DHL if you ship it. UPS lately has been looking for any little document technicality to justify charging you $200 for customs brokerage services. Once they 'decide' it's necessary, you can only accept the charges or have it returned to the sender. It seems to happen a LOT with UPS. It hasn't happened to me yet with DHL. Don't even think of Fedex unless you're in DF or Guad. Their delivery is done by a "third party" in most other parts of the country and is painfully slow in my limited experience with them. Which ever carrier you end up using remember that shipping into the US will always cost about half as much as shipping OUT of the US.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 04:44 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
mcgiggle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Did you take the parcel to the depot? What did you say about the package, when I phoned DHL's call centre to get some info the woman went into meltdown, she kept going on about not being able to ship it because it has gas and oil in it! and it had to be in it's original packaging to be classed as a warranty repair and hence exempt duty!!!
I'll just wrap it and say it's a exhaust can or something I think.

Cheers
Pete

http://www.facebook.com/curryhunt
mcgiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
noshoes
soñando con México

Oddometer: 2,123
Where are you at in MX? Maybe someone could just bring it to you from the US.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgiggle View Post
Did you take the parcel to the depot? What did you say about the package, when I phoned DHL's call centre to get some info the woman went into meltdown, she kept going on about not being able to ship it because it has gas and oil in it! and it had to be in it's original packaging to be classed as a warranty repair and hence exempt duty!!!
I'll just wrap it and say it's a exhaust can or something I think.

Cheers
Pete
Yeah, I just took it to the local DHL office already boxed up and sealed. I told them it was a used shock absorber. It doesn't matter how it's packaged at all for shipment into the US. US customs 99% chance will not even look at it. It'll be through customs in no time at all. It's getting it back into mexico where presentation matters. Who you get at the DHL counter is luck of the draw, but sometimes the more clueless people at DHL assume that the rest of the world is as strict and anal as mexican customs and freak out about tiny details that really don't matter. Mexican customs won't look at it at all on its way OUT of the country so tell that chick to chill out and just ship your box. Whoever is sending it back to you from the states needs to get the documentation right and maybe put it in original packaging, but to me that seems like it would increase your chances of getting charged for it. The more used it looks, the better in my experience. Whatever they do, they need to state that it was either returned for repair or replacement. Understating the value probably wouldn't hurt either. $150US sounds believable, but a lot less interesting than a shock that probably cost several times that. Whatever you end up doing, just know that luck will play a part in it. Nothing is black and white down here. As mentioned above, if at all possible to arrange, having someone hand carry it down is by far the best way to do it. I'm having my in-laws bring mine down when they visit for christmas.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 04:55 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote