Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #151
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
An almacen fiscal is a bonded warehouse. In the eyes of the law, you're "exporting" the bike, storing it in a bonded warehouse, and then re-importing it whenever you go get it out again. As long as your bike is in the bonded warehouse, it's technically not "in" Guatemala.

Yes an Almacen Fiscal is a bonded warehouse and it's technically not in Guatemala .
But it works only for imports, you can store your merchandise there without paying the import duties and whenever you need something you take it out and pay only the duties for the merchandise you are taking out. It's basically designed to help importers manage their cashflow.

I asked personally the Almacen Fiscal that my company works with , and they told me that storing a bike there , doesn't make any difference as far as the TVIP.
I also called up Aduana(custom) and I got the following information : You can theoretically get 180 days at the border , but since Migracion will give you only 90 days, thats what you will get for your bike as well .
You can after 90 days apply for a 90 days extension at Aduana in Guatemala city . If you get it or not, is up to the Aduana .
A letter from the bike dealer saying that you are waiting for a spare part for your broken bike , a letter from a doctor saying that you are not able to ride a bike for 90 days,....all this would help.
But 180 days is the legally longest period that you can keep your bike in Guatemala .
Old 04-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #152
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,518
Officially Guatemalan Import Riders Now

We arrived in Guatemala today, currently in Santa Alena then making our way across to Antigua and Xela.

Any other ADVers hovering around willing to swap stories, meet up and talk crap etc we are in.

Really looking forward to our time here
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #153
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 364
"'You can after 90 days apply for a 90 days extension at Aduana in Guatemala city . If you get it or not, is up to the Aduana .'"

Not sure if I buy this for all instances... A friend of mine, Gov worker with friends in SAT, stated that if you go to the capital to try and get an extension they will send you to the border. My friends friend(s) told us to go to the Carmen border. Which is what I did, Carmen border of Mexico/Guatemala, received extension for another 90 days. The migracion office did however make me leave the country for 24 hours, which is what I did. Came back in and only payed Q10 upon entering and didn't have to pay the Q160 (bike fee) normally paid to come into Guatemala. Did not leave with the bike, left it at a border hotel parking Q50.

The process was pretty easy and didn't take that long. Of course necessary copies applied. Not sure if having friends contact their friends helped, but regardless extended until July 6.
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #154
what car??
down the road

Hey moto kiwis, in Xela, Hostal Don Diego will give a discount on lodging and has secure parking for the bike. That's where I stayed when I first arrived: chat with Claudia (English/Spanish). Still here in Xela as received motorcycle extension . Get in touch if you want.

Also a plug for Aguilar motorcycle shop 19th Avenida on the south side of the rotunda (roundabout). Great bunch of guys over there, let me change my oil and bought tires. Received discount for purchases, give them a go!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #155
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by what car?? View Post
"'You can after 90 days apply for a 90 days extension at Aduana in Guatemala city . If you get it or not, is up to the Aduana .'"

Not sure if I buy this for all instances...

I don't care what you buy and if you buy !!!
I have done it for a friend of mine (in Guate City) and he got the extension
Old 04-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #156
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by what car?? View Post
Hey moto kiwis, in Xela, Hostal Don Diego will give a discount on lodging and has secure parking for the bike. That's where I stayed when I first arrived: chat with Claudia (English/Spanish). Still here in Xela as received motorcycle extension . Get in touch if you want.

Also a plug for Aguilar motorcycle shop 19th Avenida on the south side of the rotunda (roundabout). Great bunch of guys over there, let me change my oil and bought tires. Received discount for purchases, give them a go!
Great info thanks mate, we are in Semuc Champey at the mo and making our way to Antigua, got a new front shoe organised there cos ours is 99.9% stuffed

The school said we might not be able to secure park the bike anywhere at our hosts so we would have to pay to store it elsewhere, that would be a deal breaker for me, any suggestions?

We want the bike close and parked safe.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Old 04-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #157
motomundo antigua
motomundo antigua

Oddometer: 44
if you do the school in antigua, you can park at my shop.

Cheers

Taz
motomundo antigua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #158
what car??
down the road

"'I don't care what you buy and if you buy !!!
I have done it for a friend of mine (in Guate City) and he got the extensio'"

Hence the phrase all instances. I'm not saying it didn't or doesn't work. I was told by friends what the possibility would be. I am closer to the Mexican border with a nicer drive thus the reason why I went that route. I guess that's why there's a term called, YMMV (your mileage may vary). More than one way to skin a cat remember? No need to get snarky. Remember we're all on here to share information and experiences, thus to help the 'community' of riders.

Alrighty then, moving on.

Taz, sorry mate couldn't join when we met in Chimaltenango, an agenda was afoot. We'll meet up soon enough though!!

Moto Kiwi's, no problem for the information. Goes for all riders!

cheers all!!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #159
motomundo antigua
motomundo antigua

no worries, BBQ can be ready in 10, hehehehe, next time
Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #160
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomundo antigua View Post
if you do the school in antigua, you can park at my shop.

Cheers

Taz
Heya Taz

They e'd us back today and we are all good, planing to be in Antigua Thursday night, suggestions on an economic place to stay?

Will come to you shop on Friday for the MT 60 and meet you guys finally!!

In Semus Champey at the mo, simply stunning .. sorry if the spinglish is not good ... blame it on the Whisky
Old 04-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #161
motomundo antigua
motomundo antigua

HA , drink some more.....hehehehehe
will ask around for cheap place, defind your kind of cheap, people vary in that matter, 20-30-40 bucks a night?
cheers

Taz
Old 04-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #162
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
HA , drink some more.....hehehehehe
will ask around for cheap place, defind your kind of cheap, people vary in that matter, 20-30-40 bucks a night?
cheers

Taz
WAY below that , we have been staying in 80 Q places .. very basic but all we need, we are on a budget so when we don't blow money on accom we can blow it on tires

Maybe out of town centro?

Is Antigua more expensive than other places?

Cheers Andi
Old 04-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #163
motomundo antigua
motomundo antigua

yep , its way more expensive here, but there are some cheaper hostels around. should be easy to get now because semana santa is over. it was a shit show here. glad its over.

see ya

Taz
Old 04-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #164
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
yep , its way more expensive here, but there are some cheaper hostels around. should be easy to get now because semana santa is over. it was a shit show here. glad its over.

see ya

Taz
Saweet

We will find something I am sure but we might have to raise the bar a little by the sounds of that.

If you know of anything then let us know.

Cheers mate

Andi & Ellen
Old 04-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #165
motomundo antigua
motomundo antigua

got a Heidenau 150/70/17 here, so if anybody needs 1.....