Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
BrzGSAdv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Is the Canon Rebel XTi enough for starters?

Hi folks!

Looking into buying the basics to start taking some nicer-than-iphone-like outdoor pictures during my rides.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I know next to nothing about photography. I have two options one is starting from scratch and the (apparently cheapper) option is to inherit a Canon Rebel XTi my photography-buzz wife owns but is willing to share (if she gets something juicer ($$) for her....

So the key-question is if the Rebel XTi is suitable for non-professional outdoor pictures to be used by a rookie... If not please let me know what other models to look into. Any online sources/tutorials you can point me to on choosing the first outdoor cam also greatly appreaciated.

The next question is what gear to get? Any lens? Which? Do I need a tripod (I normally ride alone and/or prefer to be as self-suficient as possible). Bear in mind I am always focusing light gear not to overpack the bike, so I'd like to keep gear to a minimum but carry the essentials.

Thanks in advance and merry Xmas!!!
1978 Yamaha TT125
Ride on!!!
BrzGSAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
motogrady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I use a Fuji 1500SX, cost all of 200 bucks.
Reason, I had a ton of problems with other,
more expensive cameras and camcorders
getting the stuff online.
Whatever you get, make sure the software
works.
As far as addressing the pics, photobucket.com, free but slow.

Here's a few off a Fuji.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834266

What's everyone else using?
motogrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
satz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
cannon sx40. i know its not a DSLR but it takes good pic, smaller and gets the job done.360$ online.
satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
Ungaro
n00b

Oddometer: 8
The Canon is more than enough. Somewhat larger than the point and shoot-s, but better quality and more accessories friendly. A big plus that you can change lenses and use a more powerful flash. It is worth to invest in good quality lenses, since you can use them as you upgrade the camera bodies later.
Ungaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Trumper
Eclectic Dilettante

Oddometer: 510
Ahoy Matey.

That's an excellent opportunity you have there! You betcha, go for the Rebel. That's a solid starter DSLR.

You have an added advantage that your photo-buff Significant Other knows the camera and can consult and help you through the noob stages. Excellent!

I'd advise against getting a "kit" camera (and you won't need tripod, flash, big zoom lenses, etc.) at first. Just use the basic camera and maybe a basic zoom lens (your choice). Getting what you see and want into the camera is the goal. Then the basics of cropping and minor tweaks in a software program (and the better you are at the former, the less you'll have to do the latter).

It's really all about your artistic sensibility, just like this site. You'll see amazing photos taken with inexpensive point-and-shoots, low-quality fuzzy photos taken with mega-buck dSLRs with $x,xxx fixed lenses, junk shots with junk cameras, amazing stuff taken with pro equipment, and everything in between. It's really all about the photographer...not so much the gear.

Sounds like the perfect sharing and shared interest scenario to me! You are fortunate. Congrats.

Trumper screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 09:05 AM
Trumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
oktulsa17
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Good starter camera. I started with the XS a very similiar camera and it was a very good camera and I've taken some very good pics with it and actually won a prize in a local photo contest. It's good using the presets and allows you to learn how to use the more advanced manual controls.

Here is an example of what the XS will do. Took this not too long after getting the camera

... I was born on the prairie where the wind blew free and there was nothing to break the light of the sun. I was born where there were no inclosures and where everything drew a free breath. I want to die there and not within walls

Chief Ten Bears 1867
oktulsa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
Dusty Boots
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
I used to take a half decent Canon (with tube extension and Polarizer) with me on trips, but found that it was a hassle to get out of the tankbag for shots while riding. Anything that makes it a hassle to use = < shots.
So I added a nice little Panasonic DMC-ZS15 P&S to my trips and it's a whole lot easier to get out in a hurry. Does a pretty good job on photos

The easier it is to use your camera, the more shots you will take, especially for a rookie (like me) !
Old 12-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
BrzGSAdv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
ahoy!!!

Thanks... I guess I can then save those bucks for other needs on the bike! Thanks for all the advice.

I have been reading about the Canon in the meantime and sounds like an awesome starter DLSR as you put it.

Also very happy about my choice of a significant other! My photo-buzz is a great gal and thanks for reminding me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumper View Post
Ahoy Matey.

That's an excellent opportunity you have there! You betcha, go for the Rebel. That's a solid starter DSLR.

You have an added advantage that your photo-buff Significant Other knows the camera and can consult and help you through the noob stages. Excellent!

I'd advise against getting a "kit" camera (and you won't need tripod, flash, big zoom lenses, etc.) at first. Just use the basic camera and maybe a basic zoom lens (your choice). Getting what you see and want into the camera is the goal. Then the basics of cropping and minor tweaks in a software program (and the better you are at the former, the less you'll have to do the latter).

It's really all about your artistic sensibility, just like this site. You'll see amazing photos taken with inexpensive point-and-shoots, low-quality fuzzy photos taken with mega-buck dSLRs with $x,xxx fixed lenses, junk shots with junk cameras, amazing stuff taken with pro equipment, and everything in between. It's really all about the photographer...not so much the gear.

Sounds like the perfect sharing and shared interest scenario to me! You are fortunate. Congrats.
1978 Yamaha TT125
Ride on!!!
BrzGSAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 689
Yes it will be fine. I was in the same "what should I get" mode and bought a kit Canon Rebel 2Ti. Like Trumper mentioned a kit may have stuff you don't need. You may be able to find a used XTi with a basic 18-55 lens and get started. There are used and almost new lenses come up in the flea market occasionally. I have a couple lenses I should sell I bought with my "kit" I do not use.

After I played with mine a bit I invested in a good lens, +1 for what Ungaro said, and that made huge difference in taking pictures in the dark etc. I hardly ever if at all use a flash. It (15-85) has a bit of zoom, great stabilizer (ultrasonic), adequate and then a bunch so far for my needs.

I carry it in a Case Logic SLR Zoom Holster big enough to hold the camera with strap and the 15-85 lens, the manual, charger, spare battery etc. Everything I need for my needs, well padded, suspension strap for the camera. It does take up some room, 10"x6"x4", tapered with a hard plastic bottom, did I mention well padded??

You might spend a bit of time at photography-on-the.net/forum/ for lots of information and ideas. It is mostly a Canon forum. They have a classifieds section as well.

Then you have to learn photo processing..........
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
fierostetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
That cam plus a canon 50mm f1.8 and you'll learn a *lot*. The camera is less important than the lens and glass. For a devastatingly effective camera that fits in a pocket, look into a canon s100 or s105- great lens, good auto mode, and full manual controls as you learn more about photography. The slr you're talking about is great- join a forum and check out digitalphotographyschool.com to learn more about the basics. The best thing an older slr does for you is help you learn if you want to carry an slr, or if you'd rather get a point and shoot. Remember that the camera is only as good as the lens you use. The more you force yourself to do things the hard way (full manual) the better you'll get. I started with an xsi and a 50, and moved up to a t3i and a whole kit of lenses (over time, not all at once). The 50mm lens gives you the opportunity to learn more about composition, since you'll have to use your legs as manual zoom. The aperture is wide enough to get some decent low light performance, and a nice background blur if you choose. A heads up though, the 50mm f1.8 focuses pretty slowly. My personal backup camera is an Olympus pen e-pl2. Swappable lenses, micro 4/3 form factor- the pics are nearly as good as the canons, and the shots you get in "auto" mode are better than my t3i's "auto" shots. When you decide to upgrade, google canon loyalty program and you can send them the old canon for a discount on a new one- or, google canon refurbished and check out canons refurb store. Good luck and happy shooting!
Old 12-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,859
A lot will depend upon what you intend to use the camera for. If you expect to be carrying a lot of camera gear so you can get off the bike and spend a lot of time taking "perfect" shots, i.e. tripod, extra lenses, filters, etc., then the Canon will not only be a good starter camera, but should serve you well for many years.

However, if you will primarily be using it to record sights along the highways and byways as you ride, I'd be inclined to agree with Dusty Boots. Something compact, yet capable, with adequate zoom ratio, that can be put into service quickly, even while you're straddling the bike.

You will discover, as your wife undoubtedly has, that the equipment is less important than the user (and I'm talking just about photography here, so getyerminds out of the gutter ). Study and practice composition, lighting and shadows, shooting angle, etc., along with post-processing, such as cropping and color manipulation. Once you have that down pat, a better camera/lens combo will only enhance your work. A camera that exceeds the capabilities of the photographer will only produce sharp, crisp, crappy photos.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote