User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
Zuendapp OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Shin guards for trials?

For the trials riders that use shin guards, is there one brand or style that you prefer?

Im looking for front protection from foot pegs and falling, but not as restrictive as some Motocross styles? Maybe Mountain bike / BMX styles?
I will be wearing MX style pants, not trials specific pants.
let me know whats available.

Thanks
Terry
Zuendapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,503
Thor
Old 12-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 303
I really like the Fox Titan Race series. Nice buckle so they are fast on fast off, and the way the knee cup is designed it keeps it pressed against you knee, not flopping away like some. Had a hard hit on mine the other day. I'm hurting, but not in the hospital because of my armor.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerViking View Post
I really like the Fox Titan Race series. Nice buckle so they are fast on fast off, and the way the knee cup is designed it keeps it pressed against you knee, not flopping away like some. Had a hard hit on mine the other day. I'm hurting, but not in the hospital because of my armor.
I use the Fox Titan Sport guards. They were the most comfy guards that the shop had in stock that day. I've been using them for a couple of years with no complaints. If you have large calves, you may have issues with the length of the straps but with my "normal" sized legs it's not an issue.

They tuck down into my Alpinestar No-Stop boots and once on, I completely forget that they're there. Simple, cheap and comfortable.

motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #5
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
A well worn trials rider just goes with the pantella cup upgrade while purchasing knee braces.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,510
Really anything that covers the knee into the boot. i will never ride trials without them.

Someth9ing like this is fine, I have fox something or the other.

AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
I picked up a nice set of Demon knee pads. Fan of the D3o stuff. I got them late this spring after a fall and using my knee to protect the new bike from the ground. A month later I had the pads and did the exact same thing, crashed bad. They worked great! Not a scrach or a bruise. All the damage was internal. Completely tore the ACL. That was 6 months ago, had surgery, rehab, etc. It will be a year for full recovery. Just started getting back on the bike again. Just got fitted for a knee BRACE.

After dealing with internal damage, I don't mind minor scrapes and bruises. They heal a lot faster.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
A well worn trials rider just goes with the pantella cup upgrade while purchasing knee braces.
What type do you use? Asterisk? Ive used some cheap ones (Thor) and blew them out last year when I really needed them. (along with my knee) Re-thinking the true cost now...
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
neanderthaler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
my insurance covered cti custom knee braces about 12 years ago. i sent them back a couple years ago to be refurbished and when they came back, i couldn't tell if they were mine or brand new. when they went for refurbishment, i found that the name of the parent company was "ossur." hope this helps you. i love mine. i bought the older style, red lace up, asterisks to wear when my cti's were away, and found them to be much hotter, and i never got along with the lace up system. if i was buying off the shelf, and money was no object, the pod brand braces look light, comfortable and protective.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
I've used Thor in the past and now I'm using six six one. Cheap but effective.
joe cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthaler View Post
my insurance covered cti custom knee braces about 12 years ago. i sent them back a couple years ago to be refurbished and when they came back, i couldn't tell if they were mine or brand new. when they went for refurbishment, i found that the name of the parent company was "ossur." hope this helps you. i love mine. i bought the older style, red lace up, asterisks to wear when my cti's were away, and found them to be much hotter, and i never got along with the lace up system. if i was buying off the shelf, and money was no object, the pod brand braces look light, comfortable and protective.
Insurace isn't as nice today. They will only cover one CTI brace, the one for the tore up knee. I have not done enough shopping for what I am going to put on the "good" knee. Asterisk is on the list. That shopping will have to wait until next year. The CTI is still processing. After I get that I will have a reference point for an economy off the shelf brace, if you call $300 the economy model. At least I only need to buy one. A second custom CTI brace is NOT in the budget. Maybe in a couple of years and have the HSA pay for it, after I build the HSA back up. I do have a script for that good knee, that does make it a medical expense...
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
amcross
Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer: 203
I used to waer my shinguards outside my pants but inside my boots. old, bad habit. thought it'd be more comfortable or some other stupid reason i can no longer remember.

first trials in 2012 (read: first trials in 21 years for me), I took a seemingly innocuous spill going up literally a fire road. bike turned left and fell uphill, i went downhill, draggin my leg over the chain and rear tire. Yep, you guessed it, the danged knee guards did a perfect job of rolling down backward and protecting absolutely NOTHING. The hematoma was legendary, as several Advrider members can attest!

I never ride without them now, and 99% of the time have them inside my MX pants.

i WANT to go to knee braces, but everything i've tried puts pressure around the patella itself ("holding it", I know ....) which accelerates to being too painful to ride before i'eve even gotten on the bike, let alone a single kick. I do wear a compression sleeve on the bad knee and compete iwth them on both, but would love to find a reasonably priced guard brace to wear taht will support the joint and NOT perssure the patella.
amcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
What type do you use? Asterisk? Ive used some cheap ones (Thor) and blew them out last year when I really needed them. (along with my knee) Re-thinking the true cost now...
I have a pair of CTI2`s starting to get a little worn out. I have had others. I am so naturaly got the correct trials pose that I have to have the custom only.(Slightly bowlegged).
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #14
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
I have a pair of CTI2`s starting to get a little worn out. I have had others. I am so naturaly got the correct trials pose that I have to have the custom only.(Slightly bowlegged).
I'll check them out - thanks.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #15
phoenixfire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcross View Post

i WANT to go to knee braces, but everything i've tried puts pressure around the patella itself ("holding it", I know ....) which accelerates to being too painful to ride before i'eve even gotten on the bike, let alone a single kick. I do wear a compression sleeve on the bad knee and compete iwth them on both, but would love to find a reasonably priced guard brace to wear taht will support the joint and NOT perssure the patella.

I have the same problem with braces. You should try the knee wraps i have. they support my patella (i have really loose kneecaps that pop out of joint time to time) but without putting pressure on the whole knee and they're pretty cheap. i wore them all day sunday and monday even under my armor and forgot they were even there. and they definitely help support my kneecap when i'm stepping off the bike hard or at a funny angle. better than nothing anyway!
phoenixfire is offline   Reply With Quote