Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2009, 05:33 AM   #1
Davis W OP
exoČ The Heat Inside

Oddometer: 105
Heated Clothing - exoČ The Heat Inside

Hi guys and gals,

I wanted to introduce myself and see if I could be of assistance. I work with exoČ The Heat Inside and have seen a few posts in which people are asking about our products. I thought that I would give you some insight into our technology so that you know what makes us different from other heated clothing manufacturers. We have both UK and US divisions and sell the products all over the world (I am in the US).

At exoČ our heated clothing uses FabRoc™ and ThermoKnitt heating technologies that are unique, 21st century fabrics that produce heat when low voltage is applied. These “smart” fabrics differ significantly from the older "conductive-wire" or "carbon fiber" based technologies in that they create uniform heated surfaces with no hot spots. By regulating the voltage, FabRoc™ will heat to pre-defined temperatures (up to 130° F depending on the product, power source and electrical configuration).
These fabrics can be heated by a variety of power sources (rechargeable batteries, 12v accessory outlets, direct connection to motorcycle, ATV, etc. batteries, and even 120v household current with a convertor). FabRoc™ employs Positive Temperature coefficient (PTC) technology which means that once the material reaches the desired temperature, it self-regulates by drawing less electrical current until power is again required.

The FabRoc™ material itself is virtually indestructible. It has a rubber-like structure that is flexible enough to be configured into almost any shape. Additionally, freezing temperatures have no effect on the flexibility of the fabric which makes it ideal for heated clothing as well as a broad range of other commercial applications. Unlike wire-based or carbon fiber heating systems, FabRoc™ continues to operate even if it is slit or torn, with NO POSSIBILITY OF SHORT CIRCUITING.

Currently our offerings include heated Jackets, Vests, Gloves, Mittens, Insoles, Back Supports, and more…plus all the accessories that you need to customize your install/application. You can find out more about our technology and our products at our website http://www.exo2theheatinside.com

I am happy to answer questions (or find you an answer), provide testimonials and product information if anyone needs it. We are very proud of the exoČ line of heated clothing and appreciate the support that we have received from the Adventure Rider community!

Thank you,

Davis W
exoČ The Heat Inside – Heated Clothing

Davis W screwed with this post 07-23-2009 at 11:10 AM
Davis W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:02 AM   #2
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,874
I've emailed Dave a few times about his product, and, he seems like a really straight up guy to deal with. His product is the best out there, and, the vest I had briefly proved just how good it is.

This is normal looking, feeling heated gear, with no wires that is very comfortable. The technology is 21st century, rather than 20th like everyone else gives us (Well, Wayne, in the "Dear Motoport" thread mentioned he's got heated gear coming out. we'll see what he comes up with!).

Build quality is on par with high end gear. Think nice light jacket you'd actually wear off the bike making it that much more versatile.

Dave, when is that full heated jacket coming out? As of now, you'd have no competition on the jacket. I don't know anyone that prefers a vest to a jacket. Just make sure the zipper isn't going to rub my neck raw.

ADV discount?

Jim
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Davis W OP
exoČ The Heat Inside

Jim,

Thanks for your kind words and continued support for our products and technology. While gearing up for the upcoming fall and winter seasons, we have also been very busy developing new products for powersports and other industries. The StormRider Jacket (with heated sleeves and a heated collar) is in development but the release date has not yet been determined.

We are unfortunately not able to offer a group discount to ADV due to our MAP policy, our distributor agreements and our desire to support the 13,500 US dealers who will carry our products in 2009-2010.

Stay warm, ride safely and we’ll certainly post widely the introduction of the StormRider Jacket when it’s ready for distribution.

Davis
Old 07-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Can you use a standard heat controller with this?

I prefer vests, btw.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
DirtRiderwjc2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
I have the gloves and vest. I did not know how cold I used to get w/o any heated gear.

I rode in single digits last winter many times.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Very--uh--cool.

The Gerbings still has some life left in it, but I like your value proposition. I'll give it a try next time around. Any idea whether the draw is low enough so as not to shut of BMW's CANBUS?
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass
Very--uh--cool.

The Gerbings still has some life left in it, but I like your value proposition. I'll give it a try next time around. Any idea whether the draw is low enough so as not to shut of BMW's CANBUS?

Isn't the CANBUS shutoff at 5amps? The vest stated a 4.something draw IIRC. I wire my vest lead straight to the battery, though, and save the outlet for GPS, etc.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 07-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
Do you have a Canadian distributor?
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
FrostedFlake
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Oddometer: 224
I've been very impressed with the quality and feel of my StormRider vest. Picked up a new controller from an inmate on Flea Market and couldn't be happier. I'm sure the jacket will be cool, but for me, a vest is all I want or need under my current riding jacket. Now the gloves, someday I want to give those a try...

FrostedFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
Davis W OP
exoČ The Heat Inside

PackMule,

While it’s not our practice to recommend the use of other appliances with our gear, we do know that many customers use other controllers with no reported ill effects (as long as they have the correct connections and are powered by a 12 volt system).

Ikonoklass,

One of the primary benefits of our FabRoc™ heat technology is its efficiency rating. For instance, our StormRider Bodywarmer (with heated chest/abdomen, upper back and lower back areas), draws only 4.1 amps. Our StormShield gloves draw 0.6 amps each. Both garments in our StormWalker collection draw only 0.6 amps each as well. Here is a link to our TechCenter which will give you more technical information on our products. http://www.exo2theheatinside.com/TechCenter/

JTT,

Yes, we distribute to Canadian powersport dealers through Motovan, Canada’s largest powersports parts and accessories distributor.

Thanks for the great comments on the quality and performance of our gear!

Davis
Old 07-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis W
PackMule,

While it’s not our practice to recommend the use of other appliances with our gear, we do know that many customers use other controllers with no reported ill effects (as long as they have the correct connections and are powered by a 12 volt system).

Davis

Thanks. My widder has served me very well over the years but is finally getting long in the tooth. I like the "all over" heat of your design. The price is reasonable, especially so if I don't need to get a different controller.

Pyndon '13
Old 07-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #12
Davis W OP
exoČ The Heat Inside

I truly think that you will love our gear. Give it a shot!

Davis
Old 08-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
Davis W OP
exoČ The Heat Inside

We need your input!

Alright guys...time for me to ask you a question.

We are working diligently on our new heated jacket and heated leg wear. If you were making the decisions, what would the ultimate heated jacket and heated leg wear look like?

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #14
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis W
Alright guys...time for me to ask you a question.

We are working diligently on our new heated jacket and heated leg wear. If you were making the decisions, what would the ultimate heated jacket and heated leg wear look like?

Thanks!
waterproof/windproof. That would include waterproof zippers, and, could be used as a waterproof layer, if needed. Shorter collar than the warm n safe/Gerbings, and/or with a small piece of fabric over the top of the zipper. it always rubs my neck raw because of where it sits. Also, the zipper on my wns always works it's way down an inch or so.
Outlast on the face fabric. keep it looking relatively normal looking to use as a normal jacket. Gerbings and w n s are too goofy looking to wear alone.
adjustment straps on the sides at waist and chest to adjust fit. That way it doesn't need to be always tight for heat transfer. Again, making it more useful off the bike.
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:46 AM   #15
Davis W OP
exoČ The Heat Inside

Jim,

Excellent feedback! Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have sent your comments to our development team.

Thanks,
Davis