User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
stuntheavy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
The beginning of new beginnings

Howdy Everyone. I'm Chris. For me, riding has been an outlet for the past 12 years. An escape from the day to day nonsense we all go through. Life behind the bars is what keeps me going. I've ridden professionally for a stunt team, I've done the MX thing, I've been one of those yahoos running around on the ice with half of Home Depot's hardware selection in my tires. There's something about being on a bike that fixes a broken man.

Everyone seems to do a RR, but noone really mentions why, other than "just because" or 'for the adventure'....

My story is a little different... It's been a rough few years for me. For me, this will be clarity. A definitive closure of one chapter of life. Will others open? Who knows, but it is certain this one will be sealed. For that I am anxious. Here's a video that puts things into perspective. It's about 30minutes long, so I can imagine most people will lose interest. I guess there is a readers digest of what is happening in my only other post on this site, when I was asking about larger bikes. But here it is for those interested. Yes, I talk funny. Not much I can do about that, it is what it is I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=TXXW8G7PSQQ

I've had contact with a few ADV members. I believe I bought the XR650R from an ADV member, as well as picking up some GoPro's from Truckin' Thumper. I opted to start purchasing used gear on here, rather than buying newer, lower quality gear from CycleGear or similar....What a great community this is. Hopefully I can contribute something to this.

So anyway, I guess this is the beginning to my new beginning. Stepping out of my comfort zone and doing something a little out of the norm.

The plans as of now, as I mentioned in the video are to do the Dragon, TAT, detour a few times, and then Glamis on the way back through if possible. As of now, I'll be doing it all alone.

I think my biggest obstacle will be setting the bike up properly and having enough room. Sounds like the Acerbis Safari tank is THE only option for out west. Will I be safe with carrying no other fuel containers?

And for eye candy, the bike as it sits currently.

Hopefully I can use this to help document and share ideas planning for the trip, prepping the bike, and building my gear kit.

Thoughts/Input welcome!
Take care fellas!
-Chris

stuntheavy screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 09:54 PM
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
blueff
n00b

Oddometer: 7
New beginnings

Hey I can't seem to view your you tube post .
I'm working on a new beginning also . Thinking of selling a couple of my bikes and getting a ktm adventure. Maybe buy it out west and ride it home to CT .
I'd like to see your video . I'm just using my iPad so ill Check on reg.PC.
blueff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 354
Watched your video and have to admit my life kind of paralleled yours when I was younger. Cheers to you man!! Get out there and live. I stopped working as an auto tech and was a very good decision for me. Now I have my own company as a welder. Planning on another possible change in the future, who knows.

Get out there and live. Some high passes will be sloppy with possible snow in July. Depending on the video editing software, there should be a way to lose the background noise, such as minute 28.8-28.25'ish when you picked up the camera.

Good luck on your ride!!

And blueeff, get the KTM adventure!! Great bike!!!
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
jmandrell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Nice introduction Chris! You've got desire and a general direction, so you'll be fine

Can't wait to follow along

- Jon
Old 03-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
stuntheavy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks fellas!

I've been slowly accumulating gear. I bought a used First Gear Kilimanjaro jack and some Rev-It pants from other inmates, as well as some used Ortleib waterproof bags and TurboCity racks.

Took the bike to the Texas Hill Country with 13 other supermotos for a good shakedown and it faired well!
One hard day of riding with those guys and my tire was toast!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
stuntheavy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, today I did a test fit of the racks, built a subframe brace, and toyed around with mounting ideas for the bags. Oddly enough, I think the Cortech's may end up staying right there instead of using a tank bag. I ride very far forward on the seat anyway, it feels quite comfy. It leaves the top of the seat wide open, and I can get my butt back all the way to the end of the seat if I need to get the front end skyward.

Seeing the bike with the rack and bags on it brings a new feeling. It's as though this is finally becoming a reality.