Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #31
carlmc
mcmoto

Oddometer: 1
I was going to pull the trigger on their $400 package. When I tried the pants on they were dragging on the floor. When I asked the salesperson about pants with a shorter inseam he said what you see is what we got. This gear wasn't exactly what I was looking for and was aware it is sub quality compared to other major brands, but I mostly commute to work and get a weekend ride in sometimes. I'm not a world traveler so this gear would give me a couple of years of service. After that I would want something else anyway. I ended up ordering Firstgear Kathmandu jacket and pants. More $ but I think it's been well spent. I still plan to purchase the Cycle Gear Explorer helmet for off pavement fun. Not bad for $200.
carlmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #32
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlmc View Post
I was going to pull the trigger on their $400 package. When I tried the pants on they were dragging on the floor. When I asked the salesperson about pants with a shorter inseam he said what you see is what we got. This gear wasn't exactly what I was looking for and was aware it is sub quality compared to other major brands, but I mostly commute to work and get a weekend ride in sometimes. I'm not a world traveler so this gear would give me a couple of years of service. After that I would want something else anyway. I ended up ordering Firstgear Kathmandu jacket and pants. More $ but I think it's been well spent. I still plan to purchase the Cycle Gear Explorer helmet for off pavement fun. Not bad for $200.
It seems if you're under 6' tall, it's hard to find pants that aren't long. At least that's been my experience.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #33
mattgw86
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I have the Bilt Explorer boots and the Hurricane gloves. The boots kept my feet dry while walking through an ankle deep creek. Pretty happy with those, never tried them in the rain though. Turns out they made decent hiking boots too. One of the gloves came apart the first day. Looked like a badly stitched seam. I took them to my local Cycle Gear (Baton Rouge, La), said "My glove fell apart". The guy behind the counter said "that sucks, let me get you another pair". He went to the back and brought out another pair for me. These have been great. I think their bad reputation is mostly due to lousy QC. Fortunately, they make up for it in customer service, at least at the store near me.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #34
slow231
n00b

Oddometer: 2
anyone know how much the pants were before the $400 package deal? i heard they jacked the prices up to "MSRP" when this deal hit. i definitely don't need the helmet or gloves, the jacket is a maybe, but really really need of some winter pants! i was going poorman style with snowboard pants over summer gear, but the sumo exhaust decided to melt those.

On another note, i checked out the jacket at a local store. seems like decent enough stuff. the features and build quality definitely far exceeds the price point. with the warranty, customer service, and return policy at CG (especially with a local store), it's pretty hard to not give these a shot. any recommendations on the "air" version vs the waterproof versions? it seems like the air with the removable waterproof liner gives more flexibility than the ones with waterproof liner built in (both come with the winter liner).

slow231 screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 07:47 PM
slow231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #35
lucas123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
The boots are on sale for $49.99 right now.

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ots/web1011510
lucas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #36
ShineySideUp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
CG works for me

I picked up the jacket and the pants late November. In Nor Calif we have been having a cold spell for almost a week. The day after I bought the jacket and pants [explorer I beleive] I had a PGR ride in which I had to leave at 5:30 am. Thermometer on the bike said it was 34 F out. since it was my first ride with the gear I was paying attention
to my comfort level. Under my jacket I had a long sleeve t-shirt, and a Carhartt thermal shirt. Under the CG pants I had on slider's. I was nicely surprised how comfortable I was. The only cold I noticed was my finger tips so I gripped the heated hand grips tighter

As other posters have mentioned more velcro on the wrist and waist area would be helpful, so I added some.

for the $ I am happy with the CG goods.

I wonder where that road goes?
ShineySideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #37
slow231
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I ended up picking up the "air" version of the pants today. with the WP liner in they seemed pretty comparable to the WP version, and with the "air" I have the flexibility to remove the WP liner in the heat. nice high back, good length and overall fit (on and off the bikes, supermoto & sportbike), not too bulky with work pants underneath for winter, not too baggy without pants or liners for the summer, stretch panels have good movement... considering that I needed winter pants, @ $150 - 20$ coupon, it was a no brainer.

klim/revit/etc need not worry though. the quality isn't all there. the zippers catch a lot, the zipper for the WP liner is slightly longer on the shell than on the liner, and the waterproof liner had a completely a loose seam along the cuff. nothing that was a huge deal though. they only had one pair my size so i just bought it and just sewed up the cuff. the initial quality seems pretty on par with my teknic freeway jacket, which i just might replace with the bilt explorer (non-air) once it returns to a reasonable price. they had the air version of the jacket there, but the WP liner had a separate zip which i felt might be annoying. the air is a bit bulkier as well (probably due to the dual liners), so the sizing between that and the WP was a bit different.

anyhow my 2c. maybe it helps somebody.

slow231 screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 07:53 PM
slow231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #38
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas123 View Post
The boots are on sale for $49.99 right now.

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ots/web1011510
Listed at $159.99 on the site?
Old 01-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #39
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Listed at $159.99 on the site?
and in the store as i was there earlier. if these were $49 i woulda grabbed a pair, or two for my wife and i, perfect for a nite out.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #40
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
and in the store as i was there earlier. if these were $49 i woulda grabbed a pair, or two for my wife and i, perfect for a nite out.
lol, same exact thinking, i tried on the explorer boots in the store, i liked them, for $49 bucks, id drive over there right now.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #41
willfreely
Elderly Beligerant

Oddometer: 394
Sale Boot Links

Typhoons $39.99 and Tornados $49.99
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ots/web1008410
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ots/web1008845

I don't own either so don't thank or blame me.
willfreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #42
bgt595
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Road testing

So I went and bit the bullet and picked up the Bilt Adventure air suit on sale......after trading in some Storm overpants and the Bilt Adventure helmet I had also previously purchased and a week later after I waited for my size order to be filled. .....

First impression, the stuff is surely waterproof....160 miles of the winter riding in Washington state proved that in one day. I opted for the sand colored gear since this is primarily intended for summer use and I like it a lot. So after a little warranty issue that was fixed with an exchange on the first use of the belt closure which broke due to poor stitching.....oops. Other then that and a not long enough jacket to pant zipper I am quite impressed.... After I discussed some of the shortcomings with the local CG manager he said that instead of doing a warranty return for any alterations I make he will just reimburse me for my costs. So the first thing is a stronger belt closure attachment and then a full circumference zipper not the current hip to hip zipper (which is a pain in the ass to deal with)

Sorry for the crappy pictures. More to come as the suits issues get resolved.
bgt595 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #43
EBMOTT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
bilt is all crap. i seen to many issues with that gear come into my store.
EBMOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #44
cyron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Thanks for posting the reference to the article, unfortunately I found the article and it was pretty useless...
I like the idea of the bucket test, but...

I'm going to quote it.
" I filled two buckets with water and submerged each pair of boots in turn to near the top of their inner gusset. Two minutes later, I withdrew them and checked them periodically inside for moisture—that is unless they leaked immediately, as most did."
and
"In the bucket test, the left boot took on water immediately; about 90 seconds later, the right boot did so also."

That's the only pair of boots he said how long it took to fail. He doesn't tell you which of the "most did" did not fail. Would have been nice to know. Matter of fact he doesn't mention the bucket test in any of the other boot reviews.
The boots lasted somewhere in the one minute and thirty seconds, my guess "about" means less, range for a 2 minute test that most of the boots failed also.
I'm not defending Bilt brand boots. I can't argue that their quality is probably pretty low compared to the others. I'm not even sure that boot should have been included in the test since it seems to be a completely different style.

Here's the review: http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse-...ing-boots.htm/

I think it would have been good if they put weights in the boots, pulled them behind a motorcycle and listed how long the boots lasted before they shredded... Kinda like the draggin jeans commercials.

I do have a pair of the Bilt Perf boots that I put 5000 miles on this year. They've held up pretty damn good, extremely comfortable. The leather is nice and thick, but the finish isn't all that great. They trim the leather off at the edges in sort of a sloppy way compared to my Sidi boots. I think they'd hold up in an accident. For what they cost compared to a new set of Sidi's I could buy a new pair every year for 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfFleece View Post
Their waterproof boots failed in 90 seconds-this months' RIDER magazine. 90 seconds.

cyron screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 10:07 AM
cyron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #45
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
I bit the bullet and bought the whole set. It definitely keeps me warm. I've used it for a few days of commuting in mid to lower 30'sF. Just turned up my heated grips and I'm fine. Just using an additional freezeout shirt to keep me warm.

It may not be on par with some of the higher priced items, but the warrantee is hard to beat. Reminds me of when Hyundai first came into the market. They provided excellent warranty's with a product that wasn't quite there yet. The Bilt stuff may be in that same mold. Gear they are trying to slowly improve upon, but to address the buyers concern, they provide a great warranty. It is a better warranty than many of the high named brands.

So far it seems to be decent. If someone wants to laugh at me for buying the stuff, so be it. I don't really care. As long as it does it's job, I'll be happy. If it doesn't then I'll return it.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote