User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Why so much "planning"?

Isn't having unknows the spice of life? I can see being prepared (ie tools, proper gear, some idea of the area/culture, $$, etc.) but planning every stop, camping/hotel spot, road etc. seems to take most of the fun out of any trip no matter the mode of transport. See so many people following or asking for "routes" to get somewhere. The lease enjoyable trips for me have always been when I have a set destination and a set time to get there.
mpatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Bruce H
Bruce H

Oddometer: 155
following the front tire...

I get on my bike with a general idea of where I want to go but that might change at any time depending on what the intersection looks like. My wife kind of wants to know the general area of the state and/or the edges of the adjoining ones, some place to look for the body. I just know I need to be back on Sunday night. I plaln to find breakfast in the morning, usually works out. Lunch anmd dinner are another issue.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,939
I plan every trip extensively over our long and icy winters. It keeps me sane till riding season starts again in March of the following year. But I have yet to follow any of those exhaustively planned trips.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
I plan every trip extensively over our long and icy winters. It keeps me sane till riding season starts again in March of the following year. But I have yet to follow any of those exhaustively planned trips.
Kinda figured that's what most do. Could be worse things to do with your time.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
This is what I do, also. I plan my next trip and try to find interesting destinations during the winter.

However, I usually follow my plans pretty closely once I take off, but I leave the GPS and maps and itineraries at home. The route in my head takes me to some very interesting places.

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,285
I just get on the damned thing and go. Ended up in Labrador once with a bald set of Tourances. Not too bright but sure made it interesting. Weather determines my route usually and camp gear means i don't need reservations.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,428
I'm leaving NE Kentucky when storm Andy clears a bit and have yet to decide what route I'm taking back to New Mexico.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
dadridesagain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I'm just back from a 4-day, 2400 mile trip (Boston, KY, NC, TN, VA) did lots of google mapping to get the lay of the land (and the location of various dragons and snakes). And then made it up as I went, changing on the fly based on what roads looked squigglier on the map. What a blast. I agree, too much planning makes it feel like a checklist rather than an adventure.
dadridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadridesagain View Post
I'm just back from a 4-day, 2400 mile trip (Boston, KY, NC, TN, VA) did lots of google mapping to get the lay of the land (and the location of various dragons and snakes). And then made it up as I went, changing on the fly based on what roads looked squigglier on the map. What a blast. I agree, too much planning makes it feel like a checklist rather than an adventure.
That about sums up the extent of my planning.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #10
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadridesagain View Post

When I got back from my 2400mi ride to Arkansas and back, I had a friend ask me

"Don't you know what a straight line is?"

My reply was

"That's the point"

The Ozarks have some awesome roads.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
Isn't having unknows the spice of life? I can see being prepared (ie tools, proper gear, some idea of the area/culture, $$, etc.) but planning every stop, camping/hotel spot, road etc. seems to take most of the fun out of any trip no matter the mode of transport. See so many people following or asking for "routes" to get somewhere. The lease enjoyable trips for me have always been when I have a set destination and a set time to get there.
Aim low and chances are good you'll accomplish that. It amazes me that people meander through life and simply accept whatever happens to come their way. No plan.

I've got to ask, why is it important to you how others plan a trip? Have you ever tried planning a ride?
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues View Post
Aim low and chances are good you'll accomplish that. It amazes me that people meander through life and simply accept whatever happens to come their way. No plan.

I've got to ask, why is it important to you how others plan a trip? Have you ever tried planning a ride?
I could give a shit less how others plan. The most I have ever planned a ride was a specific destination and a time I wanted to get there, I hated it. Now I just get on and go and let the weather, my mood, or whatever is in my head dictate where I go.

Never heard the saying "wanna hear god laugh, tell him your plan"?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #13
dadridesagain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
This is not new wisdom! From Lao Tzu in the Tao: “A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” (OK, I'm not quite that evolved, after all I did have to make it back home for family and work.) To each his own. So funny that folks could actually get cross with each other over the "best" way to travel on our expensive luxury toys for leisure!
dadridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
Willwilkins
Dr. Topbox

Oddometer: 615
Keeping it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post

+1 Well said, jeez I just found a thread on here about what socks to wear on a trip!!!!

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #15
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwilkins View Post
+1 Well said, jeez I just found a thread on here about what socks to wear on a trip!!!!
Smart wool and wear them until they stand up on their own, usually about 3-5 days then rinse them in whatever cleanish water is available and repeat.