Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
DetourJournal OP
DetourJournal.com

Oddometer: 78
Need riders for Utah Backcountry Discovery Route

Hey Guys,
Me and a buddy are taking our GS' along the UBDR (Utah Backcountry Discover route) Aug 31 to Sept 4 (In 3 weeks!). We would like to travel with 1-3 other skilled riders and I want to know who can join us!

Here are the details:
  • My buddy and I are no Dakar veterans but we're very experienced riding off-road with these big bikes, so no issues there.
  • We are going to start on the Arizona border and head north.
  • My friend will head home a day early (Sept 3) because he incorrectly thinks that he should be in school instead of having Super-Fun-Adventure-Time
  • If you're unfamiliar with the UBDR you can learn more here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771323
Let us know if you can come! It's gonna be awesome!
DetourJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
I got your email, I may be interested in joining you guys. I'd be on a KTM 690 Enduro. I will be available from Aug 31st to September 9th. So your friend will ride until the 3rd, then you will ride until the 4th? How much of the route do you think you'll complete at that point? I'm not sure that 5 days is enough, but I may be mistaken. I would like to ride the full route in one shot myself. If anything, we can start out together and go from there. If I have to solo ride later into the trip, I'm OK with that.
Greg@RME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
DetourJournal OP
DetourJournal.com

Butler Maps has got it scheduled out as a 6 day trip. I think I can only muster 2 days off work right now (giving me 5 days to do the trip). So my current plan is to stick to the 6 day schedule and then I'll head home at Evanston. If I manage to get a 3rd day off work (Wednesday), then I'll just complete the whole trip.

The other option is to do the whole trip with a 5 day schedule. (about 170 miles /day) That would allow both me and my buddy to cover some more distance in the limited time that we have. But obviously that choice affect everyone, Has anyone done it in 5 days? Is it still a good ride with that schedule?

Also we plan to camp most of the nights we are out.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
If you push longer i think you could do the ride in 5 days, especially on lighter bikes. We ride with big ADV bikes and take more time because of logistics, filming and photo work. There are also plenty of bail out points if you need to cut it short.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetourJournal View Post
Butler Maps has got it scheduled out as a 6 day trip. I think I can only muster 2 days off work right now (giving me 5 days to do the trip). So my current plan is to stick to the 6 day schedule and then I'll head home at Evanston. If I manage to get a 3rd day off work (Wednesday), then I'll just complete the whole trip.

The other option is to do the whole trip with a 5 day schedule. (about 170 miles /day) That would allow both me and my buddy to cover some more distance in the limited time that we have. But obviously that choice affect everyone, Has anyone done it in 5 days? Is it still a good ride with that schedule?

Also we plan to camp most of the nights we are out.

Sounds good to me, either way. I think 170 miles a day shouldn't be pushing too hard if you wanted to go for 5 days, but I haven't ridden the route before.

Camping is fine, I'd love to stop for a shower when possible. Always good to get cleaned up during a ride!

I guess I need to put my bike back together... currently waiting on some back ordered parts!
Greg@RME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
DetourJournal OP
DetourJournal.com

Well lets plan on a 5 day schedule. We're pretty easy going, so if we find that we need to slow down a bit once we're out there, than that's fine too. I've got a few seals and parts being shipped also. Ill PM you our phone numbers.

And thanks for the advice eakinss!
Old 08-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
DetourJournal OP
DetourJournal.com

Lockhart Basin

Hey Eakins, I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but do you have additional footage of the lockhart basin that you can share with us? I found a few videos on You Tube and I'm thinking that the Lockhart Basin Route will be pretty similar to the terrain I see in this Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HQZiZqAodA

Would you say that's an accurate description of the entire length of that basin?
Old 08-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetourJournal View Post
Hey Eakins, I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but do you have additional footage of the lockhart basin that you can share with us? I found a few videos on You Tube and I'm thinking that the Lockhart Basin Route will be pretty similar to the terrain I see in this Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HQZiZqAodA

Would you say that's an accurate description of the entire length of that basin?
yes. that is accurate for the northern end. that guy is driving south but we road north so as to go down the rock steps not up. most of lockhart is not that hard except for the steps seen at 3:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_8C1feaFac

i'll see if there is any more footage of lockhart saved to be uploaded.
since it's all digital, it might have been wipped clean.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
joshua.moody2
SFAT

Oddometer: 9
the other guy...

I think the ride will be fun. I am the other buddy who will be on this ride. I think that the ride can be done in 5 days it will be very tough, but do able. I think that my biggest worry is that we are riding at a level above our skill. How hard is this ride? I do not think we will have too much trouble I just want to make sure we are aware of the risks that will be there.
joshua.moody2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
joshua.moody2
SFAT

the other guy...

I just wanted to say that the route is very nice. What is the %of on road vs off? It looks like--on Google earth--that it is a 30/70 split. My other question is how hard is the ride for some one who is a mid-level rider off-road?
Old 08-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
DetourJournal OP
DetourJournal.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua.moody2 View Post
I just wanted to say that the route is very nice. What is the %of on road vs off? It looks like--on Google earth--that it is a 30/70 split. My other question is how hard is the ride for some one who is a mid-level rider off-road?
I think the route basically consists of fire roads and what appear to be pretty easy dirt trails with some river crossings. Sand/Mud will likely be the biggest issues, apart from the Lockhart Basin. Which I think appears to be on the same level as some of the terrain you and I rode during the last day of Ned's off-road school, with some notable exceptions. We'll have some small drops and boulders to navigate, but Like eakins pointed out in the UTBDR video at 3 min 10 sec, that's probably the toughest part.

I don't think you or I will have any issues with this.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
DetourJournal OP
DetourJournal.com

I came across a few side attractions that we might want to checkout along the central part of the route.
Of course there are a bunch of old mines along the way, but here are some more noteworthy locations.

Old Smith Cabin: - on the route
Wayne and Betty Smith Were married in 1933 and settled here. Eventually artificial seismic activity caused by drilling for wells, Destroyed the natural spring near the cabins so they later relocated.

Sego Ghost Town: - 1/2 mile out of the way
Sego was started in the 1880s and was an important railroad stop since it had good water supplied by Thompson Springs and had a successful coal mining operation nearby. A few miles north of here are pictographs dating from 500 BC to 1150 AD. There are several buildings/structures here including a store and a boarding house. Although the mining was productive, a seris of mining disasters and financial mismanagement ended up shutting down the mines in 1947.

Dinosour Footprint: - 5 miles out of the way
This looks awesome. There is also an old Mine right next to this

Matt Warner Inscription - 7 miles out of the way (3 miles from the dinosour footprint)
Matt Warner was a colorful bandit/robber who rode with Butch Cassidy, and later became a Justice of the peace and the Night Marshal of Green River
Old 08-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
joshua.moody2
SFAT

Mike do you have the GPS coordinates for those extra spots and all the other you were telling me about?
Old 08-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #14
DetourJournal OP
DetourJournal.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua.moody2 View Post
Mike do you have the GPS coordinates for those extra spots and all the other you were telling me about?
Here you go. I modified the GPS Tracks provided by Butler Maps. This version includes, of course the main route, plus all of the additional Sites along the way, including those I listed above: There's probably 20 or so additional things.
  • Anazazi Ruins,
  • Caves,
  • Mines
  • Arches,
  • Springs,
  • Old Cabins,
  • Dinosour Footprints,
  • Ghost Towns
  • Outlaw Historical sites
  • Old Cemeteries
  • and probably some other stuff that I'm forgetting.

Download it here: www.DetourJournal.com/ride/gps/UTBDR-With_Extra_Attractions.zip
Old 01-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,117
video and butler maps

If anyone wants to sell the touratech video and butler maps, i'm in the market.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote