User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Baja January 2013

So my original post looking for tracks was a total miss! so I ended up getting the Lizard Lady routes from a friend of mine. Its an old copy so all the routes need to be inputed manually from the given coordinates. Not sure if you can input these through basecamp or if you need to input through the GPS? Once I have some routes nailed down I will be happy to share.
The Total group will consist of three of us riding KTM 500's and possibly one guy meeting us in Loreto if he can find someone to haul is bike to Loreto, he is willing to pay for the services.
We have been putting alot of thought into this ride in the last week and I figured I would share some of our details. I was able to get the emergency responce team of (Binational) for $45.00 a year in case of an accident. They dont pay for the transportation if needed but they handle everything for you with one phone call, and they bill your insurance. I feel is is a no brainer just incase something happens!
We also found a satellite phone from (satellitephonestore.com) for $25.00 per week, and a one time service fee of $35.00. that includes 25 min. and added min would be $1.78 per min. We renteed it for a month with shipping and an extra charger for a total of $238.00. I think this will be good insurance if anything should happen.
We purchased the 5.3 gallon tanks and are hoping to get a range of around 200 miles but we will test that before we go. We do plan to camp a good portion of the time so we are running the giant loop bags and are planning on trying to keep them at about or under 30 lbs.
For tires we are going with the Michelin desert racers with the mousse inserts. Most the reviews I have read claim to be getting abou 2000 miles with no problems.
So we plan to spend our first night a Mikes skyranch on January 20th and and up in Loreto on the 26th, If anyone else is going to be in the area it would be fun to meet up!

rnrdozer screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 03:49 PM Reason: no response to original post
rnrdozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
superhobie
Soil Sampler

Oddometer: 100
Talking Should of said riding all easy routes to Cabo

I think its kinda of odd for an adventure ride forum that when you post a ride that actually has some adventure in it that no one replies Was able to finally make it down in April of this year for 7 days all the usual stuff Mike's/Flippy/Coco/Gonzaga/Cataviña/Laguna Hanson about 90% dirt nothing to difficult, but man ever since then have been dieing to get back and ride some truly technical terrain. Sounds like your in the same boat looks like you had a blast on the big bikes but want more of the good stuff. Wish it wasn't so early in the year or I would definitely try to hook up and ride with you guys. Make sure to record some good tracks and PM me when you guys get back
Have fun stay safe BTW I have a killer track from Tecate to Laguna Hanson and Ojos if your interested.
superhobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Superhobie, thanks for the reply! I had all but given up on any kind of feedback. Its too bad the timings off for you, we met some great people on our last trip down there. I've found that most people on this forum are great like minded people that enjoy adventure and respect others wherever they go. I'm not too sure why there is such a secret about the single track routes in Baja, anybody that I know that would take the time to plan a trip to Baja or anywhere else are the type of people to carry out there garbage and respect the land and people. In fact the people of baja are part of the reason I keep coming back!! Anyways, enough of that! I would love to get your tracks from Tecate to laguna Hanson and Ojos! I will PM you my email. I would be happy to share some of my routes with you when I get back. I plan one writing a ride report with tons of pictures as well.
Cheers!!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Big Spag
ONESPEED

Oddometer: 94
Pigs

Just read your big pig ride report from last year. Six of us from Bend are doing the same kind of ride in February. We are taking the big bikes R1200GSA. Looking forward to hearing how your ride is on the KTM's. I contemplated taking the 530EXC, but only two of us have little pigs. Have a good trip this month.

BS
Old 01-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
chain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,758
We did 2 trips last year, one in April, one in November. Riding an XR650R on both trips. Can't wait to get back.
First Trip, we took the Van and Bikes to El Rancho Mike's and base camped out of there. Second trip, we parked at the Pirate hotel in Camalu and wandered from there. both great trips. Boarder crossing in TJ is a pisser, planning to try crossing at Tecate this trip.
working on some routes from Tecate South to Ejido Bahía de Los Ángeles.
Each trip, I feel a little more dialed in. Not cocky, just a little more familiar.

Superhole, If your willing to share, I'd love to check out your track from Tecate to Laguna Hanson and Ojos.

Mrdozer, do you know the model of the sat phone? looks like a fair price.

Cheers

chain
Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Big spag, sounds like your in for a great trip! are you guys planning on camping at all? I really enjoyed that part of the trip even though you need to haul more stuff. One of the up sides also is that if you get caught in the dark or stuck somewhere you can stay the night in comfort for the most part. Also the trip out to the sea of cortez from Cuidad down to La Paz is really amazing. enjoy your trip!! let me know if you need any info.
Chain, I rented the cheapest phone which was slightly bigger but not enough to make much of a difference. its the Iridium 9505A. thats about all I know about the phone.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
chain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,758
thanks