Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2015, 10:34 PM   #1
MidasTouch OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Cool2 Anyone Have the New Ducati Monster 821?

Rode one a few weeks ago and im actually selling my zx10r to buy one since its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike, well, way to fucking fast.

Debating the extra 700$ for the Stripe model, it has obviously a cool stripe, nice windscreen, and adjustable front forks, plus the most important part, exclusivity and the X factor. Having owned a plethura of ducatis before I must say this rode the most japanesey and well manned of them all, not to mention extremely fun with zero complaints on the bike which is rare for me.

Ill be down to just the new 1190R and this thing, actually considering selling my car (14 gs350F) to help push me to ride the 1190R more often than taking a car everywhere and think having the monster would be a great all around and take the place of my "fast and fun yet practicle and comfy" road bike and the KTM being my "commuter/off road fun toy"

Was also considering the scrambler, but I think that would be a bad decision because its to slow to be my "fast bike" and too of road capable that I may enjoy beating the piss out of it off road and take away from how special my KTM feels.

heres a quick walkaround of the bike when I rode it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZg59XBsdcs
Old 05-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #2
Jump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I'm thinking of getting one, I sat on one and didn't like the exhaust and passenger pegs in the way. I'm test riding it this week. If I feel like I can deal with that, I might buy it.
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:15 PM   #3
Gootch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump View Post
I'm thinking of getting one, I sat on one and didn't like the exhaust and passenger pegs in the way. I'm test riding it this week. If I feel like I can deal with that, I might buy it.
That pushing out the heels caused my buddy to lose interest after his wife had actually given him the go-ahead. They do seem a problem.
Gootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
MidasTouch OP
Adventurer

Cool2 Sold my 185whp ZX10R, thinking Ducati monster 821

Always had ducatis and loved there passion and character from the old schools to the desmosedici. Sold my last one before winter and want the character again. Don't NEED or WANT a bike that needs to be ridding 100mph over the limit to have any fun so I'm thinking monster. The 821 has a great fun playful motor I can enjoy on the country roads doing 70-110mph vs seriosuly hitting 160+ on the same straights w my zx10, crazy, I know....

Was originally thinking get the new fz07 for only 100$/mo and a cheap fun beater I can wail on, beat the piss out of it wrong it's neck, pop wheelies on and not worry about scratches, dirt, cleaning it etc, basically treat it like one of the mowers or tractors... But nobody alows test rides on those damn jap bikes around here and sitting on them in the dealers the suspension is a joke and a half for a highly skilled rider. No easy fix either. So figured why spend 7.5k on a beater and put 1800$ into just to FIx the suspension so it's rideable and still have a cheap bike why not just go back to ducati right? The brakes are amazing, suspension is killer and adjustsble w the Stripe model that I want plus abs and TC which I use constantly on the zx10 and 1190R. Just makes sense right?

heres a little walk around of the normal model I ride a few weeks ago

http://youtu.be/oZg59XBsdcs

Any advice from owners?
There's no competitors for any price that offer as much top tech, chassis dynamics, sound, style and prestige unless I'm forgetting something
Old 05-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
Omarius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/8/2431...-Shootout.aspx
Omarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #6
kickstandsup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
I've got 6000 miles on my 1200S now, and love it. The 821 has the same basic goodness...IMHO. More photos and info on the blog link.

Not one single problem so far, knock wood; fabulous street bikes.

Good luck!
kickstandsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #7
kickstandsup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
I posted up on the other thread you started...I've got 6k on my 1200S right now and love it. The 821 has the same basic goodness...but if it were me, I'd forgo the 821 stripe and pony up to the base 1200. Lots more motor, almost the exact same weight. Mixed reviews on the Duc windscreen...personally, I find the Givi tank bag blocks enough of the wind to make a small flyscreen moot.

They are great street bikes...good luck! Photos and info on the blog link.
kickstandsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
MidasTouch OP
Adventurer

whoops, thought i did that thread on a different forum!

Dont like the 1200 because of the 3+in longer wheelbase and the looks of the oil cooler, plus I want a bike motor I can go wot thru all the gears espeically a more top end motor than a huge monster midrange motor that runs out of steam. I just like the 821 better all around plus its cheaper and a lot more flickable.
I never had any problems with the pegs and I wear a size 11.5shoe, i must really be forward attack position that my heels are up even high than the guys complaining, also no heat from the bike that i noticed which is a first for any ducati ive had.

Just got off the phone w the dealer and I ordered the Stripe model, SHOULD be in by end of month.

ONLY thing im going to do to it is yank off the fender and passenger grab bars and take off the mirrors, no exhaust or other mods nessary
Old 05-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #9
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,262
Triumph Street Triple R? Maybe an MV triple?

Different kind of character, light, well-suspended, etc.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #10
MCGMB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootch View Post
That pushing out the heels caused my buddy to lose interest after his wife had actually given him the go-ahead. They do seem a problem.
I had the same reaction as your buddy. If you're a sport bike rider (I am) and prefer the balls of your feet on the pegs, you can forget about these Monsters, unless you don't mind kicking your heel out about 30 degrees. I do mind -- a lot.

Just baffles me that a company so heavy on sportbikes would allow this to happen.

Having said that, the 821 was the best street motor I've ever tried - - torquey, but can still wind out to an exhilarating level, and just a wonderful sound (better than 1200 IMHO).
MCGMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:09 PM   #11
Dave W.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidasTouch View Post
whoops, thought i did that thread on a different forum!

Dont like the 1200 because of the 3+in longer wheelbase and the looks of the oil cooler, plus I want a bike motor I can go wot thru all the gears espeically a more top end motor than a huge monster midrange motor that runs out of steam. I just like the 821 better all around plus its cheaper and a lot more flickable.
I never had any problems with the pegs and I wear a size 11.5shoe, i must really be forward attack position that my heels are up even high than the guys complaining, also no heat from the bike that i noticed which is a first for any ducati ive had.

Just got off the phone w the dealer and I ordered the Stripe model, SHOULD be in by end of month.

ONLY thing im going to do to it is yank off the fender and passenger grab bars and take off the mirrors, no exhaust or other mods nessary

Congrats man! I'm a bit of a fat boy so I bought a 1200S, post pics when you get it- ride report too!
Dave W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:04 PM   #12
MidasTouch OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
Congrats man! I'm a bit of a fat boy so I bought a 1200S, post pics when you get it- ride report too!
It's not a done deal yet and this dealer is fucking, THE WORST but my father and I and by best friend who has 3 desmos and a bunch of other ducs keep buying because there the only choice around. Paying 13.432 for it anyways so not like it's a deal either.

I can back at at any point but don't plan on it unless something else changes my mind before it comes in which has been known to happen. But I've had everything else at this poknt

The 1200S is great bike thru n thru, just not what I need at this point in my life. I do however wish the 821 had the SSS but with the same shirt wheelbase. I'll most certainly do a bunch of vids with it in my youtube channel (tuff for uploads because I don't have I ternet at my farm, just thru my phone)