User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
queenpdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
All things Triumph Street Triple

A few months back I traded in my Triumph Scrambler on a new '09 Street Triple R. I have been so impressed and in awe of this bike and it's many talents that I was sure there must be an all encompassing Street Triple thread here in Road Warriors. My searches revealed nothing very substantial.

Therefore, I am starting this Street Triple thread to share my experiences and connect with other owners of this truly awesome bike. Are you an owner of a Streetie? Please check in here.

Here is my bike in "adventure" mode. Light touring is a hoot on her.

My Street Triple is pretty close to stock right now. In fact, this is the first bike that I have owned that I didn't feel an immediate need to "fix" some annoying niggles. There are a few here as well, but nothing too bad. Currently she has these additions:

Triumph flyscreen and R visor
Triumph seat bag (not shown)
Ventura Rack and pack

Future possible "enhancements":

Sargent saddle
Peg lowering kit (old knees)
Engine protection of some sort
I'm sure I'll add to this list over time.

The Good
Amazing 675 motor (13,000 RPM redline - yeah, I've been there )
Telepathic handling - I swear, I just think about turning and she goes
Decent suspension - On the R, anyway. I have not heard good things about the base ST suspension.
Very light weight - something I really wanted after the Scram
Very good brakes - again, upgraded on the R model
Did I mention the handling..........and that sweet sounding motor?

The So-So:

The seat isn't great, but I did 300 mile days last weekend without too much pain and suffering.
Wind protection is limited. This isn't a bother when she is in commuter and hooligan modes, a little tiring while putting on longer miles.
In hot weather my ass cooks. Still, I don't think I'll be going to a low pipe.
The bike handles packed gravel nicely, but the tires limit you quite a bit. I hit some deeper gravel over the weekend and it got real sketchy pretty quickly. There aren't a lot of options for the ST's wheel sizes. I know that is not what the bike is built for, but my exploring will always include some dirt.

That's it for now. I plan to update this thread as I get to know her better (currently at 2000 miles). I'd love to hear your experiences with the Street Triple, or help steer potential buyers to the dark side.

Cheers.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
queenpdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Another shot.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
Mane
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Congratulation on such a great bike!

Everytime I go to the dealer, always make a point to go see the Speedy and the striper...

Regards,
Mane
'03 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Death because of hopistalary infection R.I.P.)
"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get all dirty, and the pig likes it".
Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:02 AM   #4
ivara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
I'd love to have a ST in the stable - looks like too much fun
Old 08-18-2010, 04:30 AM   #5
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,368
The Llama farm shot is kinda weak.. careful your man card doesn't get suspended

I test rode the Streetie.... got scolded for repeated front wheel lofting. Great bike!
Old 08-18-2010, 05:25 AM   #6
queenpdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Man card?
Turns out I don't need one.....being a woman and all.

Julia

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
Old 08-18-2010, 05:51 AM   #7
hngngnthr
Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer: 133
Hey Julia,
I've had mine since they came out 2 years ago. Before the R was introduced. I got the Traxxion Dynamics suspension upgrade so it's equal to a R except for the brakes. Brakes are adequate on the standard Striple and actually the suspension is as well unless you're doing serious track riding.

It's really a fun bike and great in the mountain twisties.

I had a Daytona 675 for a couple of years and loved it except it was just too uncomfortable for a 6 foot tall guy with 70 year old knees. The Striple is as much fun, more actually, and much more comfortable. The motor is pure heaven.

I might go for a peg lowering kit some day. That would make it more rideable for the longer rides. My long mountain loop ride is about 3 hours with a break in the middle. I'm starting to get fatigued at the end of that ride. Funny thing is that the more challenging and twisty the road the less fatiguing it is. 3 hours on the slab and I'd be shot.

I've got an expandable tail bag on mine and use it for grocery shopping. Can cram two full bags of groceries into the bag.

My next bike might be the Sprint GT when it gets to the US.
hngngnthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog
Man card?
Turns out I don't need one.....being a woman and all.

Julia
Oops... lol
Old 08-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #9
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Oddometer: 370
Get yourself some tank pads. Being able to grab with your knees will improve overall confidence through the corners and also relieve some strain on your hands and wrists.

I'll be lowering my pegs as well, too. (6'2").
Pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
SomethingClever
sick life

Oddometer: 182
I have a Bonnie but the striple has long intrigued me. I was hoping to ride one at the recent Demo event, but it was booked many hours in advance.
SomethingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
Tennessee Jed 08
Banned

Oddometer: 231
I recently bought a 2009 Street Triple, base model. Since I'm 150-160lbs with gear on the suspension is fine for me and the brakes are fine as well even though I hear raves about the R version. Love the bike, going to ride the Blue Ridge Highway in a few weeks and then over to Tennessee to ride the dragon with some friends. Not the best bike for a 800 mile one way trip, especially without the screen, but the bike is a blast to ride. I'll pick up the screen at some point I think, hopefully before I leave in September.
Tennessee Jed 08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #12
SportsLawGuru
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
After a month and 2,000 miles, I must say... I love my STripR! Great do-it-all bike. Only flaw I've found is the seat. Bit too much forward slope for an upright riding position. I think I'm going to switch it out for the Sargent, as it looks a little bit flatter.

SportsLawGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #13
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
The scrambler and the street are so different, why did you choose the scrambler at first and then switch?
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #14
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,194
I'm in lust for one of these!

I need a sporty naked bike for the stable. Something like this, or maybe a Monster. I've looked at Sv650s too, but they're so....common.

You folks with seat complaints would do well to contact Alaskan Leathers - you can find a discount in the Vendor section. Nothing beats a sheepskin for comfort. Cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter; they're magic I tell you!
Old 08-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #15
queenpdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3hoop
The scrambler and the street are so different, why did you choose the scrambler at first and then switch?
Well, I have a problem. Admitting it is the first step in recovery, right? Every 2 years or so I start getting the itch for a new bike. I have honestly loved every bike that I have owned (or probably ridden for that matter) and I really can't afford to have more than one in my "stable" so to speak. That is the short answer.

The longer answer is that on the Scrambler (which is a fantastic bike) I found myself searching for 6th gear all the time. I loved the low end torque, but I thought it was about time I have a quick bike....never really have. I have to admit that now that I have had the hp and quickness, it will hard to ride anything less. Maybe someday the next gen Triumph adventure bike. We'll see.

Having said all of that (yep, I'm rambling), the Scrambler and the Street have a lot of similarities as well. Both have a sweet, proven, bulletproof motor. Both have a very standard riding position. Both are sexy in their own way. Both are Triumphs! I do wish I could own both.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200