Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #61
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
What a great looking bike! The contrast between that beautiful red and the wintery looking background really makes it pop.

I've wanted one of these for a while, because I love the V4 engine. I don't really care for the chassis they put this one in however and have been holding off to see if they would expand the engine into other models.....doesn't look like it though.....so I may have to break down and look more seriously at a VFR.....
I've been eyeing a leftover VFR at my local dealer more and more since they keep dropping the price. I would prefer the new Crosstour with the same engine but its going to be considerably more than that discounted VFR, that is if we ever see it at all in North America. I know what you are saying about wanting something different with that same engine but the VFR appears to be so nice that I am sure it wouldn't really feel like I was settling for anything. I bet I would grow to love it.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #62
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
I've been eyeing a leftover VFR at my local dealer more and more since they keep dropping the price. I would prefer the new Crosstour with the same engine but its going to be considerably more than that discounted VFR, that is if we ever see it at all in North America. I know what you are saying about wanting something different with that same engine but the VFR appears to be so nice that I am sure it wouldn't really feel like I was settling for anything. I bet I would grow to love it.
Funny, this is exactly my thought process too....that crosstour looks close to what I'd prefer, but I have no intention of offloading it so I think the VFR would end up being great. I don't know what to do, there's so many great bikes coming out this year!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #63
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
lets face it. for most of us, even not-too-expensive motorcycles are pretty damn expensive. i cant even imagine blowing out $20k for a motorcycle. A couple years back i bought a brand new-old-stock 2008 vfr 800 for $7k. New! Now the same shop has the 2 year old 1200 for $9999. I yi yi! I hope to find another great deal in a year or so. I have looked at and sat on the 1200 vfr. at first i didnt think much of it, but it has grown on me. for the "right money" i could ride it for sure. hey, its a honda.... whats not to like??
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #64
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Id-Jim View Post
... hey, its a honda.... whats not to like??
Exactly! I've been a big Honda fan ever since I bought my first one, a CB450T in 1983. I would be super happy to own another Honda, especially one of these beauties. I have not owned a V-4 or a shaft drive bike yet but I think I could get used to them.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #65
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
I think Unleaded uncovered a jewel of a bike and I find the styling really cool. Something about the way the fairing melts into itself from the front to the back looks super slick, super classy, and I too am gonna try to see one in person.

As I've said to many friends, both riders and non-riders, my VFR was one of the greatest bikes I've owned. Honda makes a quality product and my VFR carried me faithfully through some of my best and worst rides. Lots of slab, LOTS of backroads scratching, fire roads (!) as necessary, camping trips, and many around town tours/errands.

I was proud to own my VFR, it never let me down, and I'd own this model as well. There's something visceral about the V4.
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #66
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
I've been fascinated by these bikes since they were introduced; and I'd love to spend a few days touring on one.

Thanks for your feedback.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #67
Unleaded OP
Unit Train

Oddometer: 807
Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated.

Sweetwater: I liked your comment about being proud of your VFR. Pride of ownership can and really should be something ascribed to a bike by its owner, rather than the owner depending on the bike itself to create those feelings. I'm learning that, sad as it is to admit. Contentment is a decision, but once made, it's a powerful thing.

I mentioned in my original review that I went through a bit of a mental reset coming off of European bikes, which ended up being somewhat freeing for me. But there's something else, too: I really do feel thankful to have found such an amazing piece of machinery for a price I could justify. Even at 8 grand, there are cheaper bikes that would work as well or better, to be sure. But to have found exactly what I was looking for - while not really looking for it - created a sort of instant bond with this bike for me.

I know many people will never like the VFR, and that's just fine. I'm confident there will be things I'll want to change too. The legroom is tight, the suspension somewhat harsh. No bike is perfect - even for a single purpose. They all involve compromise.

I don't want to belabor the point, but I really do hope more people test ride the Viffer12, even if you despise everything about the looks, and wouldn't be caught dead owning one. If you do chance a ride, I'd like to hear your thoughts. I'm not trying to convert anyone, much as it may sound that way.

There are dozens of motorcycles I'd love to own, and I certainly don't believe this one is better than any of them. But this one I will keep for a long time. It's not that there's anything particularly earthshaking about it. It's just that it really is an amazing package, with much more character than you'd expect, and I think Honda's mismanagement of the bike's release - and the too-high MSRP - has caused many to really miss what Honda's doing these days. That's Honda's fault, entirely, but it's a shame. The engine is remarkable, and the handling is truly shocking for a bike of such considerable weight. I do admire Honda for taking some bold risks. It takes those kinds of risks to advance bike design, even though they are usually poorly-received initially.

Unleaded screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 10:22 PM
Unleaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #68
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,596
Ha. Just found this thread, and after reading the original post , I knew you were going to own it!
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #69
Unleaded OP
Unit Train

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Ha. Just found this thread, and after reading the original post , I knew you were going to own it!

I need to work on the 'objectivity' part a little more, huh?

Old 12-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #70
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post

I don't want to belabor the point, but I really do hope more people test ride the Viffer12, even if you despise everything about the looks, and wouldn't be caught dead owning one. If you do chance a ride, I'd like to hear your thoughts. I'm not trying to convert anyone, much as it may sound that way.

There are dozens of motorcycles I'd love to own, and I certainly don't believe this one is better than any of them. But this one I will keep for a long time. It's not that there's anything particularly earthshaking about it. It's just that it really is an amazing package, with much more character than you'd expect, and I think Honda's mismanagement of the bike's release - and the too-high MSRP - has caused many to really miss what Honda's doing these days. That's Honda's fault, entirely, but it's a shame. The engine is remarkable, and the handling is truly shocking for a bike of such considerable weight. I do admire Honda for taking some bold risks. It takes those kinds of risks to advance bike design, even though they are usually poorly-received initially.
Nicely stated, buddy. I totally agree with everything you said.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #71
99Bandit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I've been lusting after the new VFR since it came out. I liked the looks of it at first glance. I have yet to ride one because my nearest dealer hasn't had one that I have seen and, they don't seem to keen on test rides so, even if they had one, I doubt they would let me ride it anyways.

Reading this thread makes me want one even more. It's just a shame that right now, a new bike just isn't in my immediate future financially.

Thanks for the write up.
99Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #72
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

I've found that some different looking motorcycles can really grow on you:

Old 12-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #73
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
I've found that some different looking motorcycles can really grow on you:

I always liked that bike too.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #74
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

And I see you've had a couple of boxers.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #75
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
But it really is a fantastic bike. And at 8 grand, this was truly a no-brainer for me.
Well done and enjoy !

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote