Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #106
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,555
I have about 3,000 miles on my '12 that I bought a couple weeks ago, and it's an amazing bike.

Shame that the expectations, mixed with a high price and perceived lack of range dealt this bike a pretty nasty blow....except without those slow sales numbers, I wouldn't have found a new leftover for $9,999 plus fees.
It's a fantastic bike, though at it's MSRP it would likely never have made my list of potential next bikes.

Not sure if I'll ever get around to an aftermarket exhaust, but there isn't a shortage of choices and all the popular brands have tossed their hat in the ring.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #107
Unleaded OP
Unit Train

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
This thread has been a pleasure to follow.
Your kind words are appreciated, stripple. Thanks.

And indeed the K13S is a hard act to follow. It's a wonderful bike. There are strengths to each - I mentioned I liked the suspension and electronic gee-whizzery of the BMW, but I like the engine character and power delivery of the VFR, for instance. Taken as a whole, the VFR1200 is every bit the motorcycle the K/S is, for very similar intended use.

I agree with Blakebird - the Honda wouldn't have been on my radar at MSRP, although now that I've owned one for awhile, I'm not sure I would even say the VFR is massively overpriced at sticker. It's really, really good. At the prices you can get them for now, it's a no-brainer if the type suits you. As my write-up says, I bought mine used, and I couldn't be happier with it, but 10 grand for a '12 with the traction control, better fueling and no miles is a steal.... and worth the extra money, IMO.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #108
David Shapiro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
A couple of years ago, I also saw a new one on the floor, heavily discounted. The bike is gorgeous in person.
I also wish the Crosstourer would come over, but if it doesn't, the VFR would do very well, if the peg lowering kit worked as advertised. I'm going to have to start looking now.
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #109
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
the VFR would do very well, if the peg lowering kit worked as advertised.
I put on the Knight Designs 1" lower pegs - they work fine and make a noticeable difference.
There's enough adjustment in the brake lever linkage to lower the brake pedal enough to be a more natural reach from a lowered peg.
Shift lever doesn't need to be touched.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #110
Unleaded OP
Unit Train

Thought I'd post an update after 10,000 miles in the saddle of the VFR1200 (almost 13,000 on the odo). Honestly, I'm enjoying the bike even more now than the day I rode it home. An SW Motech rack and a Givi topcase, coupled with a BMW 51 liter waterproof bag I had left over from my days aboard Bavarian mounts, have proven to be all I'll need in the way of luggage (excluding the Bags Connection tankbag, which never leaves the bike). The fact that I can have all of my gear on or off the bike in 15 seconds - four clips and go - makes hotel stops a breeze. I considered panniers carefully, but ultimately found no need for them for my purposes. Commuters or those wanting to lock up more gear than a top box will hold will feel differently.

I've done a number of long days in the saddle, the longest of which was my first Iron Butt-certified ride - the entry-level SS1K - and found the bike to be supremely comfortable with 30mm lowered pegs, Heli-bars and an Airhawk cushion over the stock seat as my chosen comfort ad-ons. The ride turned into three fairly long days. The first was from my home in eastern Illinois to Silverthorne Colorado, which was certified at 1050 miles. On the second, I dawdled a bit on the gorgeous curves of the Rockies before heading north to Cheyenne and across Nebraska to stay with family. The third took me home. 1300 additional miles over the last two days, and the Honda acquitted itself beautifully. Wonderfully stable in cross winds, quiet air over the short shield (for someone 6'2"), and power-on-demand at any speed, conspired to help me really fall in love with it as a touring weapon.

The suspension is still not top-shelf, and shows it at times over rough pavement. But whether I've gotten accustomed to it, or I've unconsciously changed my riding style (slowing down a bit with age), I find it acceptable for the foreseeable future.

Love the looks or hate them (with the exhaust can change, I've grown to really like them), it's an interesting bike to ride amongst the public. I've never gotten more looks or questions aimed at any bike I've owned.

Common complaints with this bike among owners have been: 1) A small crack appearing in the rear trim panel where it rubs the rear brake hose (mine did it), 2) a seized rear preload adjust knob (mine hasn't) and 3) easily-marred paint (haven't seen it). Other than that, quality problems seem to be fairly non-existent.

With the dismal salesroom showing, I'm certain Honda won't continue to import the big VFR much longer. And that's really a shame. Would I pay Honda's MSRP for the bike, knowing what I do now? No. There are too many other bikes with an option package better-justified for the money. But I would most certainly pay more than I did, placing the bike-for-the-money ranking at an easy number one of bikes I've owned. And I understand reality: the VFR1200 is a niche bike with an ill-defined niche. Too heavy for the knee-draggers, too cramped and spartan for the interstate set. But I somehow fit Honda's intended demographic, because I find it the perfect do-it-all streetbike at this stage.

Unleaded screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 05:50 PM
Unleaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #111
Jetpilot5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I'm going to have to ask you to please remove the BMW accessory from the Honda.

Glad you're enjoying the bike. Sounds like a heck of a trip. Great picture too.
Jetpilot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:09 AM   #112
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post

It's always nice to read a story of true love, where both sides are happy.
Glad you found such a smokin' deal on such a great bike and that you're enjoying it so much. It should provide you with many, many more miles of smiles.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #113
Unleaded OP
Unit Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpilot5 View Post
I'm going to have to ask you to please remove the BMW accessory from the Honda.
I face the bag backwards so the logo is hidden. Lessens the angry stares from the GS crowd.
We need to do a ride one of these days. I mean, I know the obstacles are difficult to overcome, you being an hour away and all.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
It's always nice to read a story of true love, where both sides are happy.
You know, I won't say this is a lifetime commitment or anything. More like we got to third base in the back of my folks' van.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #114
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post

You know, I won't say this is a lifetime commitment or anything. More like we got to third base in the back of my folks' van.
Hey. Those are fun times too.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #115
Carbster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
vfr1200 & as a 2up ride?

I am in need of a sporty 2 up ride. Im coming off eurotrash such as Triumph Trips like S3's, TBS and own a Ducati Sport classic and a Supermoto DR650/790; none of these bikes really fit two up riding.

Im trying to talk myself out of dropping 14k on the Yamaha S10 as the fit is nice for us both. Im fairly short at 5'7" and my missus at 5'11" so a bike with passenger legroom is a challenge for her on most bikes. I do NOT want another european bike and am swearing off any BMW or Duc. The Triumph feels top heavy compared to the S10 and the V-Strom while great bike is nowhere near Yamaha or Honda in quality.

I must stress the 2 up requirement. Some nice day trips and ocassional weekends is what I want out of this ride for my gal. For me I will ride the ugly bastard 8-10k/yr and do an Iron butt asap. Tank range seems to suck but you cant have it all.
Carbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #116
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbster View Post
I must stress the 2 up requirement. Some nice day trips and ocassional weekends is what I want out of this ride for my gal. For me I will ride the ugly bastard 8-10k/yr and do an Iron butt asap. Tank range seems to suck but you cant have it all.
I bought an R1150RT to tour two-up with the wife, but she likes the back of the '12 VFR1200 just fine, and has done several 400-500 mile days - which is at the upper end of her limit, not mine.
I've decided the R1150RT is now expendable, and will be replaced by a "me" bike.

I've done several SS1K's and could do one on the VFR without issue.
The first two months saw 8,000 miles and took me several states away.

Before you buy into the 'tank range' issue, which is one of the so-called monster downers of the big VFR....it ('12) compares favorably to many other bikes.

The '12 has a five gallon tank....so did my Ninja 1000. You don't hear people complaing about the Ninja's range.
On the road I routinely get 45+ mpg and have a 225 mile range. I've had the last flashing LED on the fuel gauge start flashing at 190-200 miles, and the countdown computer says 33 miles left. I have gone to 220 miles on a trip in remote southern New Mexico and it took 4.75 to top it up.

I was sweating bullets (it was a long walk late at night in BFE)....but made it with room to spare.

When you get into the fun stuff, very few sporttourers will deliver as much fun. It handles beautifully, has monster torque, and is very smooth going down the road.

Yes, it's too expensive at MSRP, but there are deals to be had if you keep your eyes peeled.

Blakebird screwed with this post 01-14-2014 at 11:21 PM
Old 01-14-2014, 05:15 PM   #117
Kyle M
n00b

Oddometer: 3
One hell of a deal!!

For all you guys who like the bike and are looking for an awesome deal, here you go:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946495
Kyle M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #118
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,518
I find myself back on a VFR1200.
Had one in 2010. Got hacked off with the lack of performance from the Trophy and while having yet another recall performed, found myself eyeing up a barely used (2800 miles) 2012 MY, in black, with R&G goodies and heated grips.
Got a choice deal ( came away with a fair bit of cash in hand) and rode back on the V4.
Riding back from the dealers, it felt so wonderful to have that engine thrumming away under me. Plenty of performance on tap too. Unlike the last few bikes i felt a sense of connection right away. The big grin came back.
Now, i'm looking forward to the riding season..
Paulvt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #119
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I bought an R1150RT to tour two-up with the wife, but she likes the back of the '12 VFR1200 just fine, and has done several 400-500 mile days - which is at the upper end of her limit, not mine.
I've decided the R1150RT is now expendable, and will be replaced by a "me" bike.

I've done several SS1K's and could do one on the VFR without issue.
The first two months saw 8,000 miles and took me several states away.

Before you buy into the 'tank range' issue, which is one of the so-called monster downers of the big VFR....it ('12) compares favorably to many other bikes.

The '12 has a five gallon tank....so did my Ninja 1000. You don't hear people complaing about the Ninja's range.
On the road I routinely get 45+ mpg and have a 225 mile range. I've had the last flashing LED on the fuel gauge start flashing at 190-200 miles, and the countdown computer says 33 miles left. I have gone to 220 miles on a trip in remote southern New Mexico and it took 4.75 to top it up.

I was sweating bullets (it was a long walk late at night in BFE)....but made it with room to spare.

When you get into the fun stuff, very few sporttourers will deliver as much fun. It handles beautifully, has monster torque, and is very smooth going down the road.

Yes, it's too expensive at MSRP, but there are deals to be had if you keep your eyes peeled.

Since you've owned both the VFR12 and the Ninja 1K, can you comment on the passenger comfort of each bike assuming your wife has been on the ninja 1000? The VFR would appear to be much more accommodating of a passenger.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #120
Unleaded OP
Unit Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
I find myself back on a VFR1200.
Had one in 2010. Got hacked off with the lack of performance from the Trophy and while having yet another recall performed, found myself eyeing up a barely used (2800 miles) 2012 MY, in black, with R&G goodies and heated grips.
Got a choice deal ( came away with a fair bit of cash in hand) and rode back on the V4.
Riding back from the dealers, it felt so wonderful to have that engine thrumming away under me. Plenty of performance on tap too. Unlike the last few bikes i felt a sense of connection right away. The big grin came back.
Now, i'm looking forward to the riding season..
Congrats, Paul. It's such a brilliant bike. I'm selfishly pleased that the public found so much to hate about it. (Slightly) secondhand, it has to be one of the most fantastic values in motorcycling. I did around 11K miles last year before mothballing it for winter. Couldn't be happier with it.