Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2009, 07:04 AM   #1
mlock OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
How to ship motorbike to South Africa Cape Town???

Hello i am from Greece and planing to visit South Africa around the end of November. Anyone knows how to ship motorbike? i asked but with ship it takes 40days!! Asking at dhl or tnt, was stupid idea cause they asked something like 10.000$

thank you
mlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
Rent.

Expect to pay no less than at least $1000 or so in each direction, when using cargo services of major airlines (Lufthansa used to offer uncrated motorcycle shipment a while back, for example). Call several airlines and talk to their cargo offices. Make sure you understand the paperwork requirements; you will have to be able to prepare a whole bunch of official documents (including Carnet de Passage, I believe, even if you are not accompanying the bike). Any one of the documents is not satisfactory and your bike is stuck forever at customs.

I suggest renting instead, much more cost effective - unless you are planning a one-way trip or intend to stay for several months. For your typical few-weeks-long riding loop: RENT.

I rented from SAMA in Johannesburg/Pretoria:
http://www.samatours.co.za/Pages/motorcycleRentals.html
Very good experience, recommended.

Another rental contact is:
Due-South Motorcycle Tours
http://due-south.co.za/

Also, AdMo will arrange rentals from third parties, but I do not know if they will handle non-US customers.
http://www.rental-motorcycle.com/

Good luck!

rdwalker screwed with this post 10-16-2009 at 07:36 PM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:29 AM   #3
mlock OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
i really thank you so much for your reply. the truth is that i will go there for 3 weeks so yes its better to rent one. After new year, i will make a trip from europe to africa in case you want to join.

thank you much,
good rides!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
Expect to pay no less than at least $1000 or so in each direction, when using cargo services of major airlines (Lufthansa used to offer uncrated motorcycle shipment a while back, for example). Call several airlines and talk to their cargo offices. Make sure you understand the paperwork requirements; you will have to be able to prepare a whole bunch of official documents (including Carnet de Passage, I believe, even if you are not accompanying the bike). Any one of the documents is not satisfactory and your bike is stuck forever at customs.

I suggest renting instead, much more cost effective - unless you are planning a one-way trip or intend to stay for several months. For your typical few-weeks-long riding loop: RENT.

I rented from SAMA in Johannesburg/Pretoria:
http://www.samatours.co.za/Pages/motorcycleRentals.html
Very good experience, recommended.

Another rental contact is:
Due-South Motorcycle Tours
http://due-south.co.za/

Also, AdMo will arrange rentals from third parties, but I do not know if they will handle non-US customers.
http://www.rental-motorcycle.com/

Good luck!
mlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
Well, good luck on your trip! SA is not in my plans for near future, but if you post an inquiry here, you may get companions.

As I mentioned, my renting from SAMA (South African Motorcycle Adventures) was a good experience and I can strongly recommend them.

If you are striking out on your own, they can provide you with a guide/trip book and arrange hotel accommodations en-route - they call it "self guided" tours. It is useful if you do not know the area too well and would like to see the interesting spots (and avoid dangerous/undesirable ones). See their web site.

I would assume that other rental outfits provide similar services. Worth considering. I'd suggest that once you decide on a particular provider, post an inquiry here to get feedback from other ADV inmates.

In any case, go! Being in SA is a great experience, not only about nature and wildlife, but also about learning recent history and meeting people - it will give you a perception of the country quite different from what you have by reading newspapers at home.

Good luck on your trip. If you need any more hints regarding getting there, packing, bike gear, post in the forum (or send me a PM and I can rely my experiences). Example: make sure you have one full page available in your passport. South African entry permit takes a whole page and we have been warned that some have been denied entry because of that.

For myself, I may not be traveling much outside of North America next year - current economic situation hit me more than I'd like. But if I make it, I may visit your own hunting grounds. I have ridden/driven in every European country except for Russia and Finland - but never been to Greece. I'm told that I should be there...

Enjoy Africa!
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
acrossafrica
Ride Safe - Kenya

Oddometer: 47
doing the same trip in June-july 2010

for transportation there are various shippers out from the usa however not sure that they do greece
among the things to pay attention to
International Driver licence
Carnet de Passage au duouncesXXX--this guy you need in SA it like a passport for the bike to ensure that it will come and there are fees bond fees involved which arte refundable.
Lufthansa Cargo
Swissair cargo
Shippping lines (try your local Ports) and it does take 40 days shipping and is cheaper than airfreight

My trip starts from Kenya -to SA and back- during the world cup 2010
good luck ! keep us posted with your planning
acrossafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:57 AM   #6
guzzigeezer
Old wrinkly git

Oddometer: 88
Grimaldi go part way

Grimaldi can get you half way down africa http://www.grimaldi-freightercruises...icaEnglish.pdf

"We may lose or we may win, but we will never be here again"

2007 Tiger 1050 - Love of my life
1989 Suzuki SR41A DRBIG - 800 Conversion
guzzigeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
pedrosaw
Tucson Pedro

Oddometer: 2
Moving to Cape Town

Well I'm preparing to move to Cape Town from Tucson Az. I'm trying to decide whether to sell my BMW motorcycle and buy a similar one in South Africa or ship my beloved motorcycle. Since I plan on being there a few years I don't need it there quickly but cheaply and in one piece. Any ideas?
pedrosaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:34 AM   #8
redbikejohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
well check out the price of bikes here:
http://search.autotrader.co.za/www/b...72&submit.y=12

if you are taking anything with you ie house contence then i'd say take the bike as well cos bikes and all non essensial items in SA are expensive. the only thing that is cheap is eating out and housing!

an old club member moved back to SA from the uk and i think he started a business helping people move back from the uk if anyone needs help
redbikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:52 AM   #9
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
I was thinking of going down to Joburg and doing a ride to Victoria Falls, but man, everything seems to be SUPER expensive in SA.

I can't locate a source to rent cheaper non-BMW, non-KTM bikes... Something like Chinese or Indian bikes would be great. I don't want to spend $120/day to rent the crappiest BWM in Joburg. Over a few weeks, that adds up. Might as well go to the best riding spots in Europe for that sort of price tag.

This is why I started this thread asking about cheap motorcycle rentals in the world. It seems like even in 'cheap' countries, the only rental options are expensive BWM/KTM places that cater to the handful of rich Westerners that go there.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #10
alexisan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
I got the same issue. I am moving to East London in South Africa next year January.
I can put the bike in my moving container but down there customs, etc. is about 20% of the value...far too much...
are there any tricks to lower this?? maybe somebody has got a clue...

thanks,Alex
alexisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #11
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
This is a very old thread...
Sell your bike and buy another one in SA.

For people who think about touring in SA:

It seems to be the only tourist/foreigner friendly country which allows vehicles to be registered and plated to foreigners.
Instead of renting you might as well buy, tour and sell afterwards.
Take a look at gumtree.co...za
2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
ta-rider
Mosungo on tour

Oddometer: 74
Hi,

I would use this great chance to ride the bike down insted of shiping it. This will be the adventure of your live:

http://afrikamotorrad.de/?report=en_transafrika

Have fun, Tobi

ta-rider screwed with this post 09-28-2013 at 09:07 AM
ta-rider is offline   Reply With Quote