User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
Charlie Brown OP
Sweeter than YooHoo

Oddometer: 10,401
Plasma vs LCD/LED

So my special lady friend and I want a new tv. The set budget is as close to $300 as possible but up to $400. We are looking for something in the 42" range in terms of size. We will be streaming Netflix, watching cable, and maybe using DVDs.

I know most everyone here has a 50-70 inch monstah on their wall, but just in case what do y'all recommend based on knowledge and experience?

Just take 1/4 of the regular population here and set them aside. The remaining 3/4ths have a vendetta against you. Kace Coyote
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,302
Samsung 65"+ DLP... the only way to go. WalMart Layaway usually has some good deals on abandoned, openbox, and returned items. Dont be shy to look on Craigslist and buy a big ass 1080P DLP for $400...
Old 01-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
Charlie Brown OP
Sweeter than YooHoo

Yeah we don't want that size television. Thanks though.

Just take 1/4 of the regular population here and set them aside. The remaining 3/4ths have a vendetta against you. Kace Coyote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,772
Go with a Panasonic plasma, there is a fairly long thread in this forum regarding all the pertinent info. You could also PM SniperX, he provided most of the info on the Panasonic line.

Thread is http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...nasonic+Plasma

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,432
I have an older 42" Panasonic plasma, I would only go LCD if you have a bright room or a lot of glare. The dark blacks and greater overall contrast of plasma sold me.

720P should be in th four-bill range.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:39 AM   #6
gastone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post
Go with a Panasonic plasma, there is a fairly long thread in this forum regarding all the pertinent info. You could also PM SniperX, he provided most of the info on the Panasonic line.

Thread is http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...nasonic+Plasma

Mike

I've got a Samsung LCD 1080 that I purchased 4 years ago. I love it. That being said, my next tv will be a panasonic plasma. The prices have come down unbelievably far on flat screens over the years. Shop around and you can pick up a nice tv for a song.
VAC
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,288
I have a LCD, a Plasma, and a LED. Plasma TVs have glass fronts and reflect light if bright lights or windows are present. LED and LCD TVs do not have a gloss front. LED uses the least electricity but you are talking $10 vs $20 per year. Plasmas and LCDs are much cheaper than LED.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
Charlie Brown OP
Sweeter than YooHoo

I came home from the gym today and my girlfriend asked me to get a box from the back of her CRV. It was a Westinghouse 40" lcd tv. she bought it from Brandsmart. Its not bad, and this way I didn't spend way too much time researching something we only turn on a few times a week.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: