User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Steveo. OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Calgary to Mazatlan?

We're looking to head down to Mexico in late June, 2014 from Calgary, AB. Has anyone done a similar run? My initial question (of many, I'm sure) is where is the safest/suggested border crossing in to Mexico? We're debating routes to get down and back, but are thinking two weeks or less in each direction is the max so our wives will still let us go. Overall, including our stay in Mexico, we want the entire trip to be about 5 weeks, overlapping the 3 weeks our families will be in Mexico on holidays.

Any and all tips are appreciated on routes and border crossing suggestions. Thanks. ....Steve

Steveo. screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 03:00 PM
Steveo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,664
I'd just say cross at McAllen/Reynosa
Old 12-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
[QUOTE=Steveo.;20186305]We're looking to head down to Mexico in late June, 2014 from Calgary, AB. Has anyone done a similar run?
😁. Oh , maybe somebody has ?😉
The gulf route you are thinking about i s ideal for winter rides when snowbirds
from the east side of the continent need to escape winter and also to avoid possible
cold weather of central Mexico.
However as you are planning for late June and from CALGARY I would recommend that
You research a route going south from Calgary to Juarez and from there south
through interior Mexico . And do , do plan a different roadster for the return leg.
Late June it will be great riding weather all over Mexic o even if you do get
Thunderstorms at times . The gulf coast route can be getting very warm at times then.
Border safety is not really a concern if you ride only in daylight , as you should always,
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
If you feel like talking on the phone I live in Calgary and have riden to the Yucatan a couple of times, PM for number.
Cal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Cal
Studly Adventurer

I have to add that last June I rode in Sonora and Arizona and had to stop each day at about noon as the temps. reached 110
Old 12-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I have to add that last June I rode in Sonora and Arizona and had to stop each day at about noon as the temps. reached 110

Thats why the siesta was invented.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
Steveo. OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the info, it's appreciated.

We spent a few hours going through different routes and after looking closer at the topography, we're going to head for Mazatlan instead to avoid the long haul across Texas and spend more time in the mountains through the US. We've got a tentative route planned (I'll figure out how to share the route and post it) and it's not only looking like a better ride, it's also about 1000km shorter than going around to Cancun.

Quote:
That's a great point! As someone who has spent most of my time on my bike in the Rockies, it didn't occur to me it could be too hot to ride. Thanks for the heads up. Up here, "too hot" never happens.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Hwy 93 The Great Basin Hwy is nicer than going through Salt Lake City on 15. Nogales is probably the easiest crossing for your route or go over to Naco and cross, that will get you down the Ruta Rio Sonora and then over to Hermosillo on Hwy 14 Agua Prieta is good also and the ride down 17 to Moctezuma is nice. Crossing over on the eastern side of Arizona puts you in some great riding, such as Tombstone and Bisbee, if you have not been there.

Since you are so close to The Copper Canyon spend a few days around Creel and then to Durango and the Devils Spine down to Mazatlan. You could do this last route in 7 or 8 days from Calgary with some longer days in the U.S.
part of the trip.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
Steveo. OP
Adventurer

Not sure if this link will work, but it's the initial, very tentative route.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Ca...,16,17&t=m&z=6
Old 12-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
Cal
Studly Adventurer

That route looks great crossing in Agua Prieta, when you get close to Cuauhtemoc you can cut over to 16/23 and head to Creel and Divisadero to view the copper canyon from the rim, then back to Creel down to Guachochi on 23 then over to Parral and finish your planned route.
If you need help in this area when you are there I have contacts in Chihuahua as I am a honorary member of El Trece Moto Club.in Chihuahua.
Oh yea stop in Nuevas Casas Grandes and spend an hour at the Paquime Ruinas, theres a good hotel there also called El Pinon.
Cheers
Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
Steveo. OP
Adventurer

Quote:
That route looks great crossing in Agua Prieta, when you get close to Cuauhtemoc you can cut over to 16/23 and head to Creel and Divisadero to view the copper canyon from the rim, then back to Creel down to Guachochi on 23 then over to Parral and finish your planned route.
If you need help in this area when you are there I have contacts in Chihuahua as I am a honorary member of El Trece Moto Club.in Chihuahua.
Oh yea stop in Nuevas Casas Grandes and spend an hour at the Paquime Ruinas, theres a good hotel there also called El Pinon.
Cheers
Thanks for the advice. I'll talk to my riding buddies and we can make the adjustments to the route. We'd like great scenery and roads, especially since we don't intend to spend much time off the bikes.

Now to find a more suitable bike for the trip. After a 4000Km trip on my Monster I'll appreciate something a little more highway friendly for this trip.

Once we get a little more organized I'm sure I'll have a few more questions to hassle you with. Thanks again. ....Steve
Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #12
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Cheers
El Pinon is a good choice.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #13
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Cheers
+1

Agua Prieta is a very easy crossing and you can get all your paperwork done in one place right at the border crossing. The route you have from there is a pleasant ride. The first hour will be along the border through the mountains on some really nice road, but watch out for big rigs - there's a lot of trucks winding their way through there. A few miles past San Buenaventura you'll climb from the 5k' elevation AZ type climate quickly up to over 7k' elevation and stay between 7-8k' elevation all the way to Creel. It's an easy ride through ranch and farm land - a less populated area with some nice little towns. Whatever you do, don't bypass Copper Canyon. Do a little research on the area - you may want to plan on spending more time there if you can. Good luck with the trip!
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #14
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
er... wha hoppend ? The first post I am sure asked about going to Cancun and the thread title still sez that but now the target is Mazatlan ? Did I read it wrong initially or did you just edit your first post after changing your mind ?
. I have to know .... so I can be sure I am not losing mine
Whatever great choice and an excellent idea for a summer tour , across the high plain interior of NW Mexico
After doing the suggested Copper Canyon loop and you are moving south from Hidalgo Del Parral on Mex 45 toward Durango the city consider the excellent paved road scenic alternate which you can start from Mex 45 at the junction with Dgo 44. At that point you will be at the start of one of the longest straight stretches of road in Mexico, Mex 45 proceeds like a ruler 100km south with only the slight ups and downs to give a sense of direction change.
The road west gets really interesting , has plenty of curves , a bunch of small towns and old mine town of Santa Maria del Oro , then up into and over the pine forested mountains. You will wind up joining Mex 23 at Cienega de Escobar .
That highway runs south to Durango city and north 85km to Guanacevi where there are several hotels. Consider doing the ride to Guanacevi and back - because it is there, and you are in the vicinity, no other excuse needed. Mex 23 pavement ends at Guanacevi but gravel roads and tracks carry on deep into the mountains and a road extension to Mex 24 is probably being planned out right now.Guanacevi is a colourful interesting little mountain mining town, some very narrow streets.Go at least a few km north of town on the gravel to se the small waterfall.
Turn south again on 23 and head for Durango, hotels in Tepehuanes, Sgo.Papasquiaro, Nvo Ideal Canatlan in the mennonite and apple growing country if you are crowding sunset. Maybe stop in for a look at the old wild west movie sets beside Mex 45 north of Durango.

The road you want heads west into the mountains
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #15
Steveo. OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
er... wha hoppend ? The first post I am sure asked about going to Cancun and the thread title still sez that but now the target is Mazatlan ? Did I read it wrong initially or did you just edit your first post after changing your mind ?
. I have to know .... so I can be sure I am not losing mine
Initially the thought was Cancun as accomodation was simple for us and our families since we are all planning on meeting up there. After some initial route planning, the ride down and back would have been miserable to make it in our allowable time frame, so we switched to the other coast to get better riding and save 1000Km in each direction. This way we get a much better route down and back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Sounds like you are in for a fun trip! What are you riding?
That's the next big decision for me. Ride now I ride a Ducati 796 but it's not the best choice for a long trip, obviously. I've done some longer rides on it but I probably wouldn't take it for something this long. Considering a few bikes, depending on what I do with the Monster. If I keep it, I'll probably grab a Wee-strom for $5-6K and have two bikes, but so far I'm pretty sure I don't like the way those ride. All utility, no fun-factor. Likely I'll sell the Duc in the spring and grab an 800XC or a GS. I've read more negative about the BMW's than the Triumph, but I'm not convinced either way yet. The only one of the three I've ridden is the Wee and at best, I thought it was "adequate". I'll ride it more when the snow melts before I made a final decision though, and I'm not in a huge rush. I love the Monster and am doing a 4000Km trip on it this summer, if it hasn't been replaced by June. If it goes well, I may even consider a windshield and ride it to Mexico in 2014. My main concern is the foot position hurts my knees after a few hours. I actually find the bike pretty comfortable at speed and I've got Kreiga bags for it to carry my gear. We'll see what happens though.

Thanks for the route info. I'm researching all of ot and with my buddies, I'm sure we'll vary the route to see as much as we can. Since we're riding back, we can do different roads in each direction to cover as much as possible. ...Steve