Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
Heads up on Tourmaster Textile Heated Gloves

The Review-
I just bought a set a couple weeks ago and have used then in temps down to around freezing. They work as advertised and they work fairly well for their inteanded purpose. The only gripe is that you will need to run the dual controller when routing the power through the jacket as the jacket runs much hotter than the gloves. Got a dual controler, use it. If you don't,,,,, you can still run the gloves off the jacket, the jacket will just run much hotter than the gloves. Also, there doesn't seem to be any heating elements running through the palm as it's cooler than the fingers and backs of the hand. Not a huge issue especially if you have heated grips as I do but it's an observation.I also had the opportunity to run them in fairly hard rain. Once again, as advertised they seemed to be fairly water resistant. The So as reviews go,,,,, good gloves.

The bad,,,, and it was my fault but here's the "heads up".

These gloves use the least heat resistant synthetic material I've had experience with. I rode my XR today and it has a set of tank panniers on it which themselves are made of a synthetic nylon, light knit cordura type material. In other words, those panniers ain't too awfully heat resistant themselves. I have in the pas, stored all manner of synthetic textile good in them, ranging from golves, to balaclavas {spelling?} to even a Tourmaster electric vest which itself is made of a light nylong type material. Never have I have a problem with temps melting whatever was in them. Well,,,,, today I did. My new, two week old electric gloves sustained damage to two fingers with small areas melted from the radiant heat coming off the cylinder head. Yes, the cylinder head/cylinder fins did it as I had the gloves on the side opposite of the header pipe as a precaution against heat damage!

Like I said, never has any other textile goods been damaged while being stored in the pannier and I've rode all day at times. This was a whoppin 20 minute ride. I looked at the pannier, no external or internal damage. I even had my balaclava stored in the same place and as a matter of point, it was stuffed in first so it "should" have been more likely to be damaged from the heat than the gloves but nope.,,,,,, my 150$ gloves melted and not my 3$ WallyWorld balaclava.

So,,,, good gloves folks. Just keep them far, far away from radiant heat sources.

Pic of the damage-

Gonna see if I can get the factory to repair at my cost. If not,,,,, any good ideas on repair? I'm thinking black weather strip adhesive and some scrap nylon material. Apply the WSA to the area completely surrounding the melted area, let tack then apply the material "patch". Let dry to the touch them apply another light layer of WSA?????? I really want to keep these things fairly water resistant.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 213
I've been bitten by that radiant heat bug myself. I would get a tube of Mcnett sil-seal and just cover the damaged area with it. It is similar to aqua seal but makes a very good waterproof repair that is thin and flexible, if you want to cover it with fabric it would also work well as the adhesive while still doing the sealing. It's good stuff, denny
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote