Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #16
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
i like my kymco agility 125 and ride the hell out of it. wot most of the time, wot from the lights, etc. gotta stay out front. from my style of riding it is a good handling and good performing scooter. so far as that goes with scooters. i ride it like a small mc, essentially. splitting lanes with mc's, filtering through traffic with supersports. it is a capable handler. but you have to change the tires for this. or at least the rear

anyway seems you are interested in a bigger scooter, though. however just to qualify the agility starts and goes every time with minimal maintenance in over 12,000 hard rode miles and it has stayed put together with no adjustments or tightening up needed during bike checks. so for myself i would definitely buy another kymco scooter

but not any kymco scooter. they have so many self competing models its easy not to like a few. and fit and finish on some is not up to par. but again, you get a lot for what you pay. for instance the Like 200i is not in the same range of quality as the Honda Elite, a scooter in the same class, essentially. but it undercuts it in price, offers a longer warranty, will out run it on the streets, and has the preferred styling of many. its not as practical, however. so a trade off is there, but the Like is a viable alternative for what it is next to the Honda. if you are willing to compromise a bit here for some other gains there...

and so i would check kymco out and buy again, sure. from my own experience. i think i may always have an agility 125 for a small scooter. its a hoot
Old 12-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #17
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,699
I have been reading this thread with interest because I need a scooter for my 17 yo son to get back and forth to school with. It is about 10 miles each way on secondary roads with a 45 mph speed limit. I am thinking about calling on this one, apparently it's a two stroke. What do you guys think?

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/mcy/3466827351.html

Considering this one too.

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/mcy/3411951197.html

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #18
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
I have been reading this thread with interest because I need a scooter for my 17 yo son to get back and forth to school with. It is about 10 miles each way on secondary roads with a 45 mph speed limit. I am thinking about calling on this one, apparently it's a two stroke. What do you guys think?

The Kymco is not a two stroke, but it is made in China, and the Elite is a weird little bike with expensive parts, poor handling and very little storage space. Unless it has mechanical issues, and depending on the mileage (which is always an issue for me if they leave it out of the ad), you probably won't go wrong with the Kymco.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #19
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPED MEDIC View Post
The Kymco is not a two stroke, but it is made in China, and the Elite is a weird little bike with expensive parts, poor handling and very little storage space. Unless it has mechanical issues, and depending on the mileage (which is always an issue for me if they leave it out of the ad), you probably won't go wrong with the Kymco.
I was leaning the Kymco way mainly because the 125 would be better at maintaining real world speeds of 45-50 mph. Thanks for the response.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
Old 12-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #20
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
If you want a reliable scoot that will go 45-55 get the Kymco. The Honda Elite is a scooter with quite a following but the 80cc version won't have much reserve and parts are hard to find.

My son rode our Buddy 125cc to school every day for 3 years in high school. For urban commuting a good 125cc will do fine. Genuine, Kymco, Sym and Yamaha Zuma are all good. The only Honda in the US right now is the SH which would do the job but they haven't been around long enough to find any used bargains.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #21
KennyT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I own a Kymco Agility 125 and love it. Dream of buying a People 300 in the spring...
Good luck with your choice, and again, I am a big believer in Kymco...
Thanks again
Ken
Old 12-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #22
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post

i am concerned about the Agility because the ad misrepresents it and tells straight out non-truths. it also doesn't mention mileage

if this person is so involved with the scooter why does he mention no oil to mix as it has a separate "tank?" its a four stroke so it doesn't have any of it

the rear spring is RED, not orange. it may have turned orange from weathering, but mine is still red after three years. i do keep it covered and don't rain ride, but still. that spring was never orange until it turned orange

no insurance needed? on a 125cc? not in my state (cali) and i believe most others. i need full motorcycle insurance

the scooter retails for $1899, not $2699. it did, but that was in 2005 / 2006. and the 2009 model here went for $1999

does not mention mileage

imo its not $1000 worth of scooter. more like....$650, tops. i just don't trust it and if i were buying i'd look for another. could be another Agility, but not this one

imho

Old 12-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #23
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
i am concerned about the Agility because the ad misrepresents it and tells straight out non-truths. it also doesn't mention mileage

if this person is so involved with the scooter why does he mention no oil to mix as it has a separate "tank?" its a four stroke so it doesn't have any of it

the rear spring is RED, not orange. it may have turned orange from weathering, but mine is still red after three years. i do keep it covered and don't rain ride, but still. that spring was never orange until it turned orange

no insurance needed? on a 125cc? not in my state (cali) and i believe most others. i need full motorcycle insurance

the scooter retails for $1899, not $2699. it did, but that was in 2005 / 2006. and the 2009 model here went for $1999

does not mention mileage

imo its not $1000 worth of scooter. more like....$650, tops. i just don't trust it and if i were buying i'd look for another. could be another Agility, but not this one

imho

Agreed.

Yeah, I assumed that the Kymco was an injected 2 stroke from the ad. He either doesn't know what he is talking about or he is just another shyster and it is about 50-60 miles from me and that is too far to haul the trailer for a scoot from a shady ad.

I have decided not to pursue either of these particular scoots. I am not in a rush and my budget is $1000 so I am fairly confident that I will find one soon. Thanks for the reasoned replies.

BTW, insurance is not required on two wheeled vehicles in Florida unless it's financed and then the bank obviously requires it.

-Winston Churchill
Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #24
JBGHEAT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I appreciate all the info. Plan now is to put the Strom up for sale shortly after Christmas and pursue a scooter.
JBGHEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #25
snakebit
growing old disgracefully

Oddometer: 1,055
A minor correction on insurance requirements in Florida. You are not required to have insurance but must wear a helmet if you don't. Buy a lousy 10,000 dollar policy and you can ride without a helmet legally.

Another example of why we are known as floriduh.
snakebit is offline   Reply With Quote