User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Boundless Booger

I live in a great state where you can ride year round, deserts galore, single track heaven, with a ton of adventurous motorcyclicts like myself.
I'd like to share with you my experiences in Arizona. I've lived here all my life and explored most of it, either by hiking, 4 wheeling, mtbing, and riding my motorcycles.
I'd like to document these travels here to share with you, friends, and family.
Until recently, I thought I covered most of the state, but then was presented a challenge of sorts and found that there was alot of hidden treasures left to discover. I signed up for a Riders Cup Challenge put on by http://www.azbeemers.org/index.php .
I sent in the small registration fee and sortly received my t-shirt and a list of places to venture off and find, now since the challenge is still going and will be ending soon, I can't really give up all the sites just yet, but they will come and I'll post short RR's here when time is available. I'll be somewhat vague as to which trails or roads to take as to protect the area's from people who won't do the research for themselves.

A challenge I can share right now was a destination I picked to explore.
I decided on a place called Gold Kings Mansion, buried up in the Hualapai Mountains near Kingman. Built in 1929 the mansion housed the mine foreman and investors of the mine. The mine had a short life of about 1 year due to the mine not producing what was to be expected, it was only 180 ft deep before it was tapped out, and with the Great Depression hitting at about the same time, the mine was closed left behind in the canyon, to be visited by off-roaders and explorers.
Off of US 93 onto CO 129 is where the adventure starts, the dirt road is smooth and well maintained but then gets rough when you take the turn off to go towards the Mansion.

As you climb into the mountains you find yourself in a canyon that has seen plenty of water.

Water running down the trail makes this a bit dangerous on a big bike. I ran into some off-roaders in jeeps prepped for the trails, no doors, large tires, and enough body damage to make an insurance adjuster cringe. They think I'm nuts for coming up here with such a large bike. I take their warnings in stride and let them know that I know when my limits have been met and I'm willing to walk in.

I'm getting quite the workout, but I'm still making forward progress until the Mansion comes into view and get hung up on a large rock.

It was time for a break anyhow, I take off my gear to cool down and wait a few minutes before trying to get the bike out.

My plan is to camp here tonight, I just bought a new tent and wanted to set it up but decide to just sleep inside the mansion and not set up the tent.

As I prepared my dinner I decide to look around before it gets dark.

As I walk around the back, I notice some stairs leading up the side of the mountain but can't go up there due to large overgrowth taking over the stairs, I find a way around and climb up the side, I see the trail reveals a way to get on the roof and start to make my way.

I'd like to stop here for a minute and talk about traveling alone. It's not that I prefer to, it's that sometimes it's hard to get your friends to agree on a destination, time or type of trip, or how long the trip will take. The benefits of traveling with others is great, you get to share an experience whether good or bad, the agony of a breakdown, the sweat of a hard trail, camaraderie, and the good feelings of accomplishing a goal.
However, on the side of this hill in back of the mansion, I'm glad to be alone. If anyone had been there, they would have seen what a pansy I can be, and the ridicule and laughter would have most likely kept me awake all night.

I slipped on the loose gravel and while trying to regain my footing I reached out for a rock, but the rock didn't feel right, a quick glance to reveal a snake that my hand was placed so firmly on, trying to keep me from falling.

Growing up in Arizona you've been taught at a young age that all snakes are bad, disgusting, and most of all deadly. It's best to think that way in order not to get bit.

So of course I scream and holler as I scramble away to a safe distance (still screaming) and trying to shake off the feeling of grabbing a handful of snake.

I go back for a closer look at what could have been an awful experience to find it's a harmless gopher snake (it could have been a rattlesnake), he's looking at me wondering why I'm making such a fuss, and breaking the harmony of such a beautiful day.

Of course the mood has now been set, I'm sleeping in an abandon building in a tight canyon, high up in the snake infested mountains where no one will hear me scream if something goes wrong. At this point, I say "self, it's time to go". But it's much too late to try and ride back down the trail, it will be getting dark soon. I make my way back into the mansion to secure myself for the night.

Tent goes up. That will at least protect me from snakes, (I hate snakes).

I noticed I had forgotten to pack my spoon so the next best thing is a tire spoon.

As the sun went down, the moonlight filled the canyon and the mansion. Still feeling creeped out by the snake, scarier thoughts filled my head as the wind passed through the building, sliding leaves across the concrete floor and the sheet metal from the nearby mine clanking away. Why do I let thoughts of movies enter my head in a setting like this? The Hills Have Eyes, Jeepers Creepers, what the hell is wrong with me?
Even with all that in my head the exhaustion of riding all day and then up into this canyon I went to sleep, only to be awoken in the morning by the sun rising and the birds singing.

A great place to bring your kids (or friends) camping to tell them ghost stories!

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,918
Awesome! I would've been scared shitless sleeping in that old mansion alone. I hate ghost more than snakes.

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
azredline
Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Looks like a cool destination Booger. That must have been some house back in the day.
Thanks for the pics and laughs.

PS, eating dinner with a tire spoon. Classic!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Ron Bullard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Excellent!

Day Trippin':

The Ridge Route, 2011

The Oregon Coast, 2009

"...the fuel goes in there, through there and out there. . . the black turny thing on the back then goes round and round."
Ron Bullard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,976
Sweet

Nice report and pics mate. Once I get through the busy season I will try and get up to this site and check it out. Cheers
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
rhenium3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
What an awesome report! Looks like SOOO much fun!

My motorcycle adventures
rhenium3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Grand Falls

Located North of Leupp Arizona East of Flagstaff on the Navajo reservation.
Not many people know of this one and the road isn't that adventerous, but timing is key. The falls only flow during big winter run off and monsoon season.

If you go too far the river will stop you, even thou I watched a two wheel drive truck cross, the mud is very slippery.

Backtrack maybe an 1/8 of a mile, pick a trail and travel West. An assortment of covered bench's will give you a view worth staying awhile.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Kofa wildlife refuge located roughly between Quartzite and Yuma.
The ride is big bike friendly and we explored the East side of the Kofa's.
Something to keep in mind is that Google Earth, GPS software, and topo maps show many roads in the area, but it's not true. We found many roads blocked by fences and some roads just didn't exist.

A long time old high school friend joined me today on the trusty XR.

The road heading in is very big bike friendly and the desert flora is coming to life this time of year.

The first trail doesn't seem to be traveled much which later we find a fence in our way.

We ride the fence line road north 7 miles, where the GPS (Ziggy) has informed me of another way in.
The road dilutes into desert and we find ourselves searching for ways around obstacles.

Into the mountain range, somehow my friend inadvertently chose the more adventurous route.

I park my bike and walk down to give a hand.

He rides ahead to relax, and I start the climb.

We reach our first destination. Hoodoo Cabin.

As the sign says, you can stay here, and it doesn't cost you a thing, just clean up after yourself.

Searching the place out.

Don't use the stove.

One of the medallions that aided in the assembly of the cabin.

We head off northwest to find the next destination.

Wilbanks Cabin

This was probably my favorite one. My buddy raided his kids lunch supply and we sat on the porch eating fruit roll ups, animal crackers, and small oranges, catching up on old times. You know, "whatever happened to so & so?.... is he still locked up in the Colorado State Penn?"........"hell, I don't know, he might be dead by now"......
"did you know so & so still lives at home with his parents?".......

That could've been anyone of us, but we learned how to run really fast from the cops & never got caught. We cleaned up our lives & now we can go play, still act like a bunch of kids, ride bikes, shoot BB guns, and go on great adventures.

The reason were out here is part of the RCC, and we met the expected goal.

Our last destination is the Kofa cabin. It is by far the nicest, but doesn't offer the views of the other two.

It's been many years since my buddy has ridden and he's starting to feel his age right about now.

A military flight path overhead

That's defining it pretty good, no scooters or jeeps, all else is good.

All 3 cabins are free to stay as long as you help by cleaning the places up.
I plan on going back out and possibly spending a couple of nights in a couple of the cabins while exploring other area's out here. I've read that there's suppose to be big horn sheep in the area.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
Moosehunter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Great RR! I have a friend moving to AZ in May. I need to get my wife on a bike to come out and explore this..
Moosehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

AZ is a great place to explore. May is going to be hot. I've seen alot of ppl move here in the winter and then abandon ship when it gets nasty .

Old 04-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
linksIT
nOObie

Oddometer: 254
great stuff thank you for sharing!
linksIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
Funny note... the ghosttowns.com site lists the road into the Hualapai Mansion/Gold King Mine as a 2WD road. I'm thinking based on your pictures, it's probably not. I'm also an Arizona native and am enjoying seeing these places I've never been to. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #13
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
Funny note... the ghosttowns.com site lists the road into the Hualapai Mansion/Gold King Mine as a 2WD road. I'm thinking based on your pictures, it's probably not. I'm also an Arizona native and am enjoying seeing these places I've never been to. Thanks.
Yea, I had seen that, but knew somthing was up when I found that there's a 4 wheel drive club out of Kingman that do alot of trail work in the area.
Glad your enjoying it.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Exploring more AZ, 2 days and 572 miles.

Spring is in the air and the desert is in bloom, time to do some exploring before it gets too hot.
Loaning my beloved XR400 to my friend, and I had just bought a new bike to me (07 KTM 450 XC-W) and with very little time out riding it, we set off for it's inaugural break in (the bike only had 18 hours on it).
Leaving Phoenix, riding to Parker for the first night, then down to the Kofa's to meet up with our lady's who are bringing the burgers and beer.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #15
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

The trail riding starts right off the I-10 and Watson road, 6 miles in we stop at an overlook into the desert.

Not long and were in the hassayampa riverbed.

Close up of the new bike.

South of Wickenburg near Vulture Mine road.

It's warming up, an Arizona Native. Sunning it's self on the trail and quickly moves for cover when we approach it.
He let's us know he's not in the mood.

Off Alamo lake road.

Finding are way thru Brown's Crossing.

Cool old bus.

Washed out road provides us a little challange.

More fun.

More Jushua trees along the way.

Into Lake Havasu for the London Bridge.

Killer sunset just before Parker.

Got the last room in Parker due to Spring break. lucky, lucky, lucky.

booger1 screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 07:16 AM