User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2015, 07:38 AM   #1
Jeephoto OP
Low Post Old-Timer

Oddometer: 456
Trials helmet as dual-sport open face?

Would a trials helmet like Airoh/Shiro/Wulfsport do double duty as a trials & dualsport helmet? I like the lightweight and shape of trials helmets. Would this type of helmet offer as much protection as an open face like Bell or Gmax 27?
Jeephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 354
I would think so. Just remember that 60 + percent of motorcycle head injuries are to the face. Look up the Hurt report if you're curious.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 4,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by derviking
i would think so. Just remember that 60 + percent of motorcycle head injuries are to the face. Look up the hurt report if you're curious.
+1

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:57 AM   #4
Boom Boom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
They suck...
Sit high on your head for good vision so that is the positive but try doing 50mph with the air lift...expect the strap to be choking you.
Boom Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Oddometer: 1,571
I'm not expert on helmets, so this is just opinion. I have found the trials helmets to be lighter duty than other helmets. It makes sense because helmets protect from impacts and the energy involved in impacts is proportional to the square of the velocity. Trials velocities tending to be lower, the helmets can be lighter and less impact energy absorbing. Not sure what the DOT standard really involves. I just know by heft, there is a difference.

For quite a while I have just used my Arai road helmet for dualsport. Looks dorky I know, and I can't wear goggles with them. But for any kind of speed I sure like the full face and windshield. Even then I stuff ear plugs way in so I can hear better beyond the roar, and to not damage my hearing. Open face for dualsport is just too intense for me.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
ridenm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,810
In the US all helmets sold for street use have to show a DOT sticker indicating compliance with FMVSS 218. The sticker is prima facie evidence of FMVSS 218 compliance. Doesn't mean that the helmet actually complies, but the manufacturer is attesting to compliance.

Some states require a helmet for street use, but you'd have to check statutes for your riding areas to determine if a street rider's helmet has to have a DOT sticker.

I can't think of any current trials helmets that are DOT-certified. They are European models so they probably bear a sticker attesting to EECE 22.05 compliance. Comparing the two standards shows better and worse aspects for each. https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...e-22-05-snell/ Note: Snell is a voluntary standard.

As previously mentioned, full-face helmets offer protection in areas where impacts are more likely. The image below shows the results of a German study (I don't know if it was a street-only study or not):

One manufacturer even offers a street helmet with the impact zones as a graphic:

Not sure I would ever wear a helmet like this. Tempting fate? Kinda like buying a used car that has been displayed with its hood open, or having a flamed-out ride catch fire...

Edit: I hadn't realized it, but Dr. Otte's image and its uses has become iconic enough to merit study as an example of visual rhetoric. Interesting...

ridenm screwed with this post 03-13-2015 at 11:03 AM
ridenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
ridenm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerViking View Post
I would think so. Just remember that 60 + percent of motorcycle head injuries are to the face. Look up the Hurt report if you're curious.

from the Hurt Study.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #8
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,100
I must crash wrong, every helmet I ever ruined was in the 1.8% spot. Even when the old F250 tried to drive through me.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:06 PM   #9
slicktop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I wear an open face for all my riding.
AGV Blade.
DOT, light, vented, washable liner, and has removable flip up face shield.

My first time wearing a full face I wrecked with my chin sliding on asphalt for about ten ft. I sure appreciated it at the time. I swore by them for years.
Now I don't ride the street nor do I have to see how fast I can go all the time.
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #10
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 354
I should have checked before I posted that 60+%. Math doesn't work.

I would dispute that trials helmets are less effective than other open face helmets. Yes they are lighter and better vented, but the idea is to slow and distribute the impact, and I think the foam thickness is comparable between the trials and non helmets that I have tried. The outer shell Is much lighter on a trials helmet, which might result in a more catestrophic failure on repeated blows. I remember finding an old moto helmet at a shooting area 20 years ago. Very few of the pistol or 22 rounds penetrated. I doubt a trials helmet would do as well.

I still like full face for hauling ass though. Saved my bacon a few times. Now that I think about it, I've landed right on top of my head the last two gnarly crashes. I doubt I would have survived either of them without a helmet. Cruiser riders with backwards ball caps are doing their very best to remove themselves from the gene pool.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:23 PM   #11
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,802
It's better than not wearing any helmet.
It's not the best choice.

Legalities (DOT and state helmet laws) may be a factor depending on where you live.

At work I get some driver training about once a year. Bring your own helmet if you have one you like (must be a motorsports helmet under 10 years old). I use my trials helmet for that. The lighter weight is much nicer to my neck.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:10 AM   #12
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

I don't like wearing full-face helmets riding trials as much as I don't like hot synthetic pants! I wear shorts almost always.

We have a Master rider in our area that wears an open full face, but he's the only one. He's probably smart. There is a risk to the face when the face plant happens or if the face/mouth smack into the handlebar clamps or other hard bits.

For any kind of speed, however, it's full face and street type, for me. When I do ride dualsport or transcontinental, it's over many hours and typically fast. I want to abate the wind intensity as I don't want to get fatigued earlier (you think about such things when getting older). Neither do I wish to go deaf earlier in life, and buffeting at 75mph is like standing in front of the a low-quality band's main speakers. I also find I ride faster when the monkey part of my brain isn't all jacked up on noise intensity.

When doing intense stuff below 25 mph, I simply crack open my face shield and try to avoid being in the dust stream. That means riding more out front or avoiding bigger groups.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #13
LSMick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I know I'm new to trials but have been riding for 50 years. I have a sport touring Beemer K1200GT and hate my flip forward full face, it's very noisy but the front flips up. I used to ride Enduro on a KTM with a Moto-x helmet. In the past few years I've been riding dual-sport on rock and dirt roads with trails thrown in. I use an Arai Dual-sport helmet and have ridden with it on all day rides. It is the best helmet I think I have ever had. It fits perfect and does not seem heavy, my street helmet is heavy. I've worn this helmet in 100 degree weather and have worn it all day. I'm going to hate when time is up on this helmet.

Anyway, if I get a trials helmet , it will be my first open face helmet. My dad was hit by a car, he was on a Triumph and the car won. The helmet saved his life. I've been trying to find an open face to use and thinking of going with the Jitsie. I'm hoping it's a good helmet. I've looked at the Bell, GMax and Scorpion.

For the OP, buy a dual-sport helmet. I use the face shield a lot and flip it up when in the trails. The Arai XD4 is about $600 plus but well worth it . $10 Head $10 helmet.
LSMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:31 AM   #14
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 683
I'm with Motobene on this one. First, the chinbar keeps your face out of the gravel, and yes, it feels great to stop skidding, dust (muck) off and resume travel.
Second, or first, the noise: I have spent big money on a flip-face Schuberth, medium money on a Simpson, modest money on an AFX, and always return to my HJC full face street helmet. Smooth as a billiard ball, and quiet. I really wanted the dualsport style to work, with visor and a bill, but the wind... not to mention the bill whips your neck around when you look sideways

This is dirt travel, on a DR with no screen, pavement when necessary, otherwise probably 30mph. It takes us all day to go 200 miles.
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #15
motobene
Motoing for 44 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegraydog View Post
I'm with Motobene on this one. First, the chinbar keeps your face out of the gravel, and yes, it feels great to stop skidding, dust (muck) off and resume travel.
Second, or first, the noise: I have spent big money on a flip-face Schuberth, medium money on a Simpson, modest money on an AFX, and always return to my HJC full face street helmet. Smooth as a billiard ball, and quiet. I really wanted the dualsport style to work, with visor and a bill, but the wind... not to mention the bill whips your neck around when you look sideways

This is dirt travel, on a DR with no screen, pavement when necessary, otherwise probably 30mph. It takes us all day to go 200 miles.
Thanks for that feedback on fancy stuff like the Schuberth. I'm a cheap bastardo, and still use my decade-old Arai street helmet.

hen doing off road dualsport, I'll keep the shield part way down. If I come off the pace and someone gets to streaming dust in front of me, I wipe off dust by doing a roll and slide of the little finger side of my Fox glove across the screen such that I don't drag early dust all the way across. I then clamp my hands occasionally to knock dust off the gloves.

I hate replacing the clear shield as it is ridiculous in price (Arai), but they are pretty hard and scratch resistant. In 10 years I'm on my 2nd shield. I avoid wiping dry dust with paper towel. I'll either hit it with glance of a pressure washer, then wipe, or I'll use a good spritz of winder cleaner.

Having an older helmet, it can get a bit ripe in there. To clean my helmet, I pressure wash it on a hot and windy day. I wet it inside, put in dishwashing soap and soak, then blast with the wand backed away to clean and rinse. I then set it on a rock facing south and let it blow dry in the Oklahoma blow dryer wind.

The old Arai just keeps working, so I has so far not risked money on something newer and more cockroach-looking.

With road helmets I make a low-angle sun blocker at the top of the flip-down wind screen, via 3 lines of electrical tape, adjusting the bottom strip until I can keep low-angle sun off my eyes and still see plenty. That won't cover you until sundown, but that's what tilting the head down a bit is for. Tape is a visor with no head cock when you turn your head at speed