User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
DirtDud OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
The Best Vintage Trials Bike

I have a few modern GasGas trials bikes and would like to invest in a vintage trials bike . I would like some feedback as I have only had one twin shock . It was my first trials bike a 1984 Fantic . Long gone so now the search for the Best Vintage twin shock ? Thanks for any advise you may have .
Old 02-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Doesn't have to be the "best" just the best tuned,clutch action,brakes,smooth running,good tires,easy clutch will get you better results than most.My brakes are pretty strong,jetting spot on,suspension working well,clutches worked until they are 1 finger operation.I can pretty much match my performance of my modern bike.

Fantics,SWM,TY175 or 250 are all good,have seen some Buls that worked really well too,but haven't ridden one myself.

RL250,KT250,you better be good at tuning,but can win too.

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
Nodabs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
What era do you want to ride?
Old 02-19-2015, 06:20 PM   #4
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,858
It really depends on what rules you are riding under. The best air cooled with drum brakes would be a TY mono. Do you want pretty one or a bike that works. A lot of the best twin shocks are hard to get parts for. That is why you see the Jap bikes at most vintage events. But no matter the brand, the best one is the one still running at the end of the day.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:33 PM   #5
Brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 3,063
Hmmm. Way to open a can of worms!

The "Best" Vintage bike is the one that you jive with the most. 'Nuff said.
Brewtus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #6
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,531
Old 02-20-2015, 09:14 AM   #7
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
Oh that is just by famos name nice, the engine is for example NOT from Maico it's an Italian Tau motor.

These were good for Enduro bikes and Ancilotti had them mounted in their bikes in the past but wasn't so well set up for trials.

There were too even some very similar bikes made as CCC models, seen here:

Anyway, it depends to era which twinshock you like to have.

The very best bike in Twinshock is the Aprilia TX300, only a few were made this bike came out very late it was already 1985 it already has the frame layout of the Monoshock bikes but still has two rear shocks mounted, even drum brakes front.

The frame design is very close if not a copy to the design of the Monoshock TY. Aprilia wasn't ready with their rear Monoshock suspension but as SWM got in bankrupty their was a need for all those riders that still wanted the rotax trials engine so Aprilia took the advantage of that "gap" and produced the TX300 for just a half year until the design of the rear shock was ready and switched then over to the TX311 model which was a very good Monoshock aircooled trials bike and came too with a disk brake front.

If you need a killer bike there you go!

Then I would by personal choice rate the Fantic's as good too depending handling and power output, these are the models:
300, 240 or 200.

The 200 model is enough for Clubman routes, the 240 model for serious riding and a 300 will do everything you want to do.

Then it's difficult they all had their advantages but too shortcomings:
For very loose and rocky terrain the Sherpas are nice especially when it's "just" going straight, the model 199b is most advanced here.

The SWM is too nice, bullet prove a good overall bike, not as sturdy as the Sherpa, doesn't turn as nice as the Fantic's. The engine is lovely and extremely robust.

The Montesas are difficult to rate, a little bit likewise the SWM, the best here is the later 242 model, (which is as a twinshock even better then the SWM but there were not many made and Montesa wasn't sure by themselves if this was the right route and simultaneously still made the big cc bikes model 349 and 330 as twinshocks), then the model 200 in white also good but overpowered the 349 model in white (also called the "white wonder", any earlier Montesas especially 349 and 348 weren't soo good, indeed all of them do fight with their kick start mechnism).

Then there are the Yamahas and Hondas, the Yamahas as their were and are still so many around the Hondas as their sound lets you feel that they are better then everything else but it's just a feeling.

All in all trials riding ability depends to around 75% about the rider, then there are around 15-10% the conditions and the reminding 10-15% are the bike. So this (personal) evaluation will not help you too much.
PSchrauber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #8
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
(snipped for brevity)
Then there are the Yamahas and Hondas, the Yamahas as their were and are still so many around, the Hondas as their sound lets you feel that they are better then everything else but it's just a feeling.

All in all trials riding ability depends to around 75% about the rider, then there are around 15-10% the conditions and the reminding 10-15% are the bike. So this (personal) evaluation will not help you too much.
I like the way you put things, with what reads (to me at least) not getting people worked up,

Your evaluation, seems spot on. it is hard to convince people that trials is 99% attitude and learning ability, as long as you use the "common" tools.

there was a pretty cool video of a guy doing ninja like stuff with a bow and arrow... that had to have taken a heck of a lot more practice and training than lets say, a automatic firearm... but, it also shows me, if you worked at is hard enough, then you could "probably" ride novice class trials, on a full stock Harley Sportster, the problem only is, who really wants to work that hard at it?
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #9
Nodabs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
I have a BSA Goldstar trials bike. Not the thing for the uncommitted. It is more work than what most people are willing to put up with.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #10
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

The only death I have witnessed in trials was riding (pushing) a 500cc beast. Ruined one of my best days. R.I.P Cliff 9/2006
Old 02-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #11
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

The later Montesa`s were very good bikes. I loved my Cota 350 that I got just from a trade. And I always rode the little 200 to a very low score. So the club made the sections too hard for it!

Old 02-20-2015, 04:36 PM   #12
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
The only death I have witnessed in trials was riding (pushing) a 500cc beast. Ruined one of my best days. R.I.P Cliff 9/2006
Leave it to Lineaway, to ruin a more "figure of speech, whimsical" post, than actual might see someone trying to do type of thing... there is a world record, for jumping a Semi Truck, yet how many people have even bothered to try it, and how many failed miserably, before the internet/Youtube?

Just sayin
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:08 PM   #13
MATTY
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Oddometer: 371
I would say as you mention twin shocks go with a ty250 yam, rode mostly those and before that montessa cota 125s. The Yamaha is smooth running and a nice balanced package and generaly tough and robust.
MATTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #14
DirtDud OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
A buddy of mine has a few montessa bike they are very nice ,But I was reading on this forum on the Yamaha and they seem to be good bikes . And very durable also with a good parts suppy . I found a perfect 125 Honda but at 200 lbs it may be to small ?
Old 02-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #15
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Yamaha made many ty`s. But in there day they were considered worthless. That being mentioned more than once. Vintage is really about being out and having fun. Any well running vintage iron can be loads of fun with the right mind set. I disliked the old TY250 as it was cheap junk compared to my Ossa MAR that worked very well. Yamaha`s greatest bike was the TY mono. I`ve seen loads of good looking ty`s at events the last few years. Everyone seems to have a good time no matter what they ride. I`m the worst, you never know what I might bring the next event.
This was my winning Fantic last year.