Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,018
Beta Evo 300 4T: known issues, common problems, things to look for?

i'm about 7 months into trials now and had a chance to ride a few four strokes so looking to sell my Sherco 290.

there's a tidy looking beta evo 300 in my area, does anyone own one and can suggest things to watch out for with this model? googling around doesn't reveal anything. it seems the clutch was improved on this year model, it starts easily when hot. thanks in advance for any tips...

UPDATE: for anyone looking at one of these bikes, they seem to be a really good piece of kit with no big issues to look out for other than some came out of the factory with the valves not quite adjusted right so a bit of top end noise.

B1 screwed with this post 05-05-2014 at 12:29 PM
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,316
I'm not an expert here, but I know a guy who has had a Beta 250 four stroke for three or four years, has put a lot hours on it with zero problems. Beta's in general are sound bikes, I've had 2 stroke trials and would definitely pop for the Beta if I wanted a four stroke.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 818
I have ridden three of the Beta 300s. Two were closer to stock, one was Ray Peter's bike (and he makes our local hardest lines look like boring easy stuff).

I'm not a 4-stroke lover (or rather, I prefer the 2 strokes), but I think they are the best four stroke available. Really aren't any big gotcha issues that I know of.

I don't know what improvements have been made, but certainly the latest model years are really good.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

thanks for the feedback, i'll head out this weekend and have a look. it sounds as though the guy has really looked after it...
Old 04-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
We have quite a few in our club. In fact just last weekend a newer rider traded in his 2012 Sherco for a 2014 Beta. Beautiful bike. Another rider is on his third Beta 4 stroke after going through 2 Montesa 4 rt`s and just loves them. Best choice for a 4 stroke!
Old 05-01-2014, 04:51 AM   #6
Titanium250
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
You glanced over my post in your video thread without even a kind word, probably the newb tag and only 16 posts. I'd know muffin of course! I'm even in SE Qld (Brissy).

If you had read a little closer you would have seen the new 2014 Beta 250 4T we have… 30 hrs now!

I have been spannering on bikes for decades including the Beta, exclusively myself.

Had most of it apart now and back together (excluding major engine teardown of course, not needed yet), valve clearances can be tricky for the uninitiated to set them right.

You should be able to find a good tech and pay them to look after it if you don't find it rewarding to work on them!

Just in the throws of ordering another trials bike my wife loves her 2014 Beta 4T but I'm trying the 2014 Montesa Cota 260… may get another Beta if the Cota doesn't equal it.

Mags
Riding since 1970... never NOT had a bike in garage since then...Current bikes- '82 Ducati 900 MHR (purchased new,30k miles), '71 Ducati 450 Single (Restoring), 2011 Suzuki TU 250, 2014 Beta 250 Trials 4T, 2013 WR250R, 2012 Victory Jackpot.
Titanium250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:32 AM   #7
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium250 View Post
You glanced over my post in your video thread without even a kind word, probably the newb tag and only 16 posts. I'd know muffin of course! I'm even in SE Qld (Brissy).

If you had read a little closer you would have seen the new 2014 Beta 250 4T we have… 30 hrs now!
er, i did actually read your post but you didn't ask a question so i didn't know a kind word was expected. but great you are enjoying the sport.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

thanks for the responses so far...

i had a spin on the 2013 beta 300 on the weekend and loved it. very quiet.... possibly so quiet the noise from the top end stood out quite a bit. the owner reckons the valve gaps are fine etc, the bike hasn't had much use, and top end noise is supposedly normal particularly with the bike being so quiet.

i can understand this, the FE570 sounded as though the cam chain was loose even when new due to thin engine cases and a quiet exhaust at idle. did anyone else notice a fair bit of (normal) top end noise when riding?
Old 05-05-2014, 05:10 AM   #9
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
thanks for the responses so far...

i had a spin on the 2013 beta 300 on the weekend and loved it. very quiet.... possibly so quiet the noise from the top end stood out quite a bit. the owner reckons the valve gaps are fine etc, the bike hasn't had much use, and top end noise is supposedly normal particularly with the bike being so quiet.

i can understand this, the FE570 sounded as though the cam chain was loose even when new due to thin engine cases and a quiet exhaust at idle. did anyone else notice a fair bit of (normal) top end noise when riding?
One owner locally runs the stock exhaust and he quietly floats through the sections. That recalibrated me on 4 stroke = loud bikes, and since I don't like loud bikes, puts the Beta high on the list. Ray Peter's 300 is louder (not stock) but not as loud as a 2005 4RT with baffles removed.

I would think the top end noises are just a matter of adjustment because the quiet Beta I heard didn't have much ticky tick.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #10
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

the one i looked at had an aftermarket pipe and it was still whisper quiet until opened up. loved it. i reckon you could actually ride it in the backyard and the neighbors would barely hear you.

i checked with the local beta dealer, he said it was a bit of a known issue that the past two years some evos came out of the factory with the valves not adjusted quite right so they were tick ticky... he's had quite a few brought back and adjusted under warranty but said it wasn't really an issue to be concerned about if the noise wasn't distracting. the bikes still started fine. so that's all good news.

for anyone else looking at the beta evo 4t models, it seems they are a very solid bike with no known issues that stand out. can't wait to get my hands on one.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #11
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Do you know if the after market exhaust put on the bike you've look at was an arrow bosy 4 stroke like this one?

G650 Xcountry 2007 / Beta evo 4T 2011
lewiss66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #12
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

no it was a beta titanium exhaust. owner claimed it gave the bike heaps more power but little noise increase. not sure if it really beefed up the power that much (usually you only get 5% power increases from aftermarket pipes apparently) but it's still very quiet.

a few months on, loving the beta four stroke. the only issue i can pick so far is that the plastic housing they use for where the throttle and clutch cables go into the frame always breaks... i think the same thing happens on the two strokes. no big drama, haven't bothered fixing it.

beautiful smooth power delivery, enjoying the engine brake. can feel the extra weight when doing rear wheel hops, just needs a bit more effort.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
WSdog
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I'm no expert but after owning a Scorpa 125 to try I was hooked and sold that and did the BYOB on a 4t with long range this year. May never go back to a non trials bike
Attached Images

WSdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:12 PM   #14
WSdog
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Another Pic. I bought the bike for trail riding
Attached Images

WSdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #15
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSdog View Post
Another Pic. I bought the bike for trail riding
Love trail riding on my trials bike... do actual trials riding more but still.

I do less and less dual-sport/dirt bike riding now that I have a trials bike... but at least when I do the cross training has payed off! Was out on a trail ride on my 650 the other day with a buddy on a 250 and I was quite surprised how well I was able to keep up.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote