User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
kemon78 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Alcan 5000 Harley Build

I am entered into the Alcan 5000 this year! This is my build thread. The bike I will be taking is a 2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide Police, aka a FLHTP. I am really looking forward to the trip. Of course, stock, the bike might need a little bit of help. To that end I am doing a bit of modifying. It is going to get a pretty comprehensive list of items to make sure that it makes it there and back. The plan is to start in Los Angeles, ride up to Seattle, run the event, and then ride back to LA. If you need info on the Alcan 5000 go here .

A bunch of items have come in. Big thanks to Los Angeles Harley Davidson of Anaheim. So far installed for the engine a stage 4 kit and a screaming eagle full exhaust. these are all street legal parts! The bike will not be lacking in grunt . On order I have a rotopax, TKC 80's (need to test those still), custom skid plate, fairing lowers, Garmin, and heated grips. I need to move the oil cooler and make sure that nothing else is critical will get damaged if/when the bike goes down. As she comes together I will be updating.

I plan on riding a bunch of fire roads to make sure that everything will work as expected. I will keep updating as the bike comes together.
kj
Attached Images

kemon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
HDwrench
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Subscribed!
HDwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #3
kemon78 OP
Adventurer

Bike is progressing nicely. Garmin on. Shock in the seat
And the tkc's came in. I'm going to have to use a different rear wheel as the contis don't come in the hd rear wheel size

Coming together great!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
retiredusaf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Subscribed!!!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Cool2 Hd adv

HD= Heavy Duty ADV bike
I'm in!
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
Buck McCann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Can't wait to follow this thread!
Buck McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemon78 View Post
I'm going to have to use a different rear wheel as the contis don't come in the hd rear wheel size[
I was wondering about that. When I read that you were planning on using TKCs, I was like wow! Cool! I can't wait to see what an Electra Glide looks like with TKCs on it. But then I started thinking about wheel size and thought…huh…will they fit!?

Good luck with the build. Can't wait to see what you do with it. I've got an '02 Electra Glide that I've ridden in all kinds of condition. When I've been out riding on dirt & gravel roads with friends, I call it my Adventure Glide!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #8
kemon78 OP
Adventurer

Yeah, I call this a mootard. She is a big motard :-) waiting on parts now. I ordered a RSD rear wheel that is a17 inch. HD comes in a 18. I need to be able to fit a180 rear, so tkc's it is.

Waiting on parts. We shall see how they wear, if they don't last very long I'll start looking at other options.

Waiting on the wheel, the skid plate, and moving the oil cooler before I can get her out on the dirt. Pics will be coming as items roll in :-)

Old 05-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
JimmyTheHog
Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Sounds cool! Cant wait to see the progress.

I'm using TKC80's on my SC3 and I'm on the 2nd rear. I got about 3000 miles on the first with average riding on and off road, but mostly road. Size is 140/80-18 on a 2.75" wide rim. My next bike has a 3.5" wide rim, so I'm looking forward to see how that does for tire wear.

For more miles, you might look into the Heidenau K60's. I'm trying these now on another bike. They work pretty good so far.

09 R12GSA, 2013 SC3 Adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449
http://www.carduccidualsport.com
JimmyTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,730
looks really cool man. can't wait to see it in person!

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #11
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
That is a beautiful motorcycle to take on those roads. Are you doing it to prove a point, win a bet, or some other reason? Please don't jump me for asking that; I'm a Harley guy, and have ridden my current Road King in 45 states, as well as competitive rallies, but for this I'd favor a Sportster. The FLH's are great bikes for touring on, but I'd hate to have to pick it up on gravel. Make sure you have some way to keep the tires from sliding sideways, or you'll never get it up. Have you considered shifting your exhaust so you can access the rear axle without dropping the slip-on's? HD sells a dog bone adapter that allows access to the axle nut with the muffles on, but not sure you can pull the axle that way. Maybe on a 2:1. Some folks endorse a car tire on the back for Dalton style gravel. Have you thought on ways to increase your wheel travel? The cop seat will help somewhat. You might change out the seat shock for the Kong mod, just to reduce mechanical parts that can fail. What about moving foot pegs to allow standing? There has to be a way to do that with the passenger pegs. Good luck; I'm rooting for you.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
kemon78 OP
Adventurer

I got hitched over last weekend so I've been a bit busy. I apologize. I'll get to the questions when I get to a real computer, but in the mean time some more parts rolled in.
2 gallon rotopax is in and will be mounted on the back. I looked at going with a rear car tire, but I did not like the idea of a square rear. More than 4000 miles well be on pave ment and I wanted to not compromise the handling characteristics o of the bike more than what knobbies would. To that end the 17 inch rear wheel landed. Going to mount the front tire today and will get to your questions when I'm at a real comp.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:41 PM   #13
kemon78 OP
Adventurer

Tires on!

Old 05-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #14
kemon78 OP
Adventurer