Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
Dread_lion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
XR600/XL600 frankenbike from parts (picture heavy!)

Right, so 2 years ago i bought my first real bike. An XL600RM converted to supermoto. I wanted to go riding with my dad. Needless to say, it took almost a year to get it in somewhat decent shape, and another year to get the engine overhauled as i'm always low on cash. I now ride my bike as a daily commuter, and have done about 8500km's with it. Loving every minute of it!
But, seeing as my bike is getting to the point where it is pretty good, i wanted to find a new project, guess you can say i got the bug...

ow yeah, did i mention the fact that i barely have any tools, and i have almost no money at the moment, as i just had to pay a LOT of money to keep my car going (and yes i really need it :p).
So, i was looking around for a cheap project, and found an XL600 without title in Holland, about 1,5hour drive from my home (in Belgium), complete in parts, for 250euro's! Well i jumped in my car and went for it. I figured it couldn't be that hard to find another frame with a title here in Belgium. 3 months later, even putting out ads to find a frame, still nothing. A guy contacts me, and says he has a complete XR600, minus the engine he's willing to sell. Well, i always wanted an XR, the Xl's where usually just cheaper to get :p. So again i got in my car, and picked that lot up for about 200euro's. He told me there was some work on it, and boy he wasn't kidding. Now, picture time!
2 bikes in parts + some left overs and spares from my daily driver xl:

so at this point i'm just looking at too many parts, trying to figure out what i need and what i can sell. Starting everywhere at once is a bit chaotic, buts thats how i roll!

engine wise:
the XL600 engine will be used. the guy told me it was running before the tore down the bike (yeah yeah, we all heard that way too many times, only to find half of the engine out of spec, or just nearly wrecked most of the time ). It had been sitting in a shed for around 3 years, with nothing covered. YIKES!
So i began the initial teardown, to see what we are dealing with.

rockers, not too shabby!

head + cam, looking pretty good, apart from crusty oil, chain is as new!

underside: looks ok, as one would expect i guess. The exhaust ports where really dirty though, i'm guessing leaky valve seals. Those will be replaced anyway.

more evidence of leaking:

then this shows up:

so yeah, that needs to be bored out... i can clearly feel the marks. My engine guy told me he wants to try boring it out to first oversize, as it is a 100mm standard size now. Lets just hope that works out, i would love to use an original honda piston, and you can only get those in first oversize, second doesn't exist, or its impossible to get one.

so, some good, some bad news. So far nothing dramatic, but it sucks as i'm on a really tight budget. Guess i'll just have to take my time a bit more.

I started cleaning the carbs, but they where a mess. I also got another set of carbs with the XR i bought, along with a complete head and rocker cover! those will be useful for my XL600RM, as it shares the XR engine, but with an E-start.

anyway, back on topic!

started looking at the XR frame now, as i need to have time now to get my engine to my mechanic, for further inspection + boring and whatnot. We do must of this stuff together, so i can learn from it, and he doenst charge me stupid amounts of money. Its a win-win situation, as he is a passionate fella.

the frame, yeesh, what a mess that thing is! the PO actually wanted to grind of the kickstand mounting tab, guess he went a little overboard with it

Need to get that welded, and unfortunately, i can't weld myself, so i will need to get creative. I know a guy that could fix it, but it would be nice to find a mounting tab that i can reuse, would make things easier.

by the way, the frame is an 1989 frame, that was converted to rear disc brake. Still need to look on how well that was done, but first things first. The calliper was stuck, and there was a bolt completely stuck in it too. So, off to work:

this cilinder was stuck in but good! i already realised that just WD40 wasn't going to fix this. Took out the pliers, and worked on it till it came loose.

drilled out the bolt (by hand without damaging anything, sometimes you just need to be a bit lucky). Realised it still wasn't coming out, so i tried to cram in a screwdriver of the appropriate size, to see if it would come out, and to my surprise, that actually worked!

now for my problem. The inside of the calliper feels rough in a spot, as seen in this picture, what can i do about that? any ideas?

so far so good. A lot of problems to tackle, a lot of time as its winter and i have a daily commuter bike...
Dread_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Scubawerx
Scubawerx

Oddometer: 202
Your nails are too clean to have been mechanicking long... Good project and very good photos.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
Dread_lion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

haha yeah you're right, i do a little mechanic on the side, as i work a bit on my car, and i worked a lot on my 50cc's back when i was younger ;). But i was never that great at it lol. I work in an electronics firm, and as a hobby i actually build guitar tube amplifiers. But i'm REALLY starting to like this mechanic stuff :p. i'm learning more and more as i go.
I'm actually one of the few people here who knows his way better around electronics than mechanic stuff :p. Wich means everything electronic on my bike works perfectly, but the rest is a work in progress haha.

By the way, thanks for the comment, but i have to admit, these are just pictures i took with my phone :p i should start using my DSLR again
Old 12-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #4
Dread_lion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

looking at more stuff.

I've checked out the rear brake assembly and the master cilinder for it. Seems they did a decent job on that, and most parts are there. i was missing the bolt for the brake lever, but thankfully i have the XL parts, and this just happens to be a part that fits! So thats one less thing i need to order. Forgot to take pics of that, sorry.

next up, this little mess here:

taped up wiring you say? i don't think so. what's underneath?

more tape, seems they messed with the connectors...

rear

this doesn't look too bad:

cables are all decent, might need some lubing, but other than that, i can most likely reuse them. All the electrical parts are there, CDI, rectifier, regulator, cap and so on. So i have 2 choices, either find another wiring loom, or take new connectors and try to rebuild this one. I also have the one from the XL, so i might check to see if they are compatible.

On of these days i'm also paying a visit to a guy, who has a lot of XR parts, and he's moving in a couple of months, so he needs to clear out his stuff. Might get some things for a cheap price. I'm just hoping he doesn't want to sell everything at once, because that will be way too much, and probably over budget anyway...
Old 12-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
Dread_lion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

damn i'm having fun with this bike. Its so much simpler than my XL600RM. i thought i was missing the crank breather. NOPE, XR's don't have one :p. Thought i was missing the cover for the air filter. NOPE, xr's have no cover on those filters . So all i need for this to work:

is a filter like this one right?
http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/HONDA-XR...item3f2d07a9ba

also just scored 2!! chain sliders for 43 euro's including shipping! Thats the price you usually pay for 1!
Old 12-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #6
Dread_lion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

seriously guys, more than 400 views and only one reply? am i boring you guys that much? :p

Allright, i'll just keep throwing stuff at you guys, until someone starts taking an interest

went to see my mechanic today, and started tearing down the motor.
Bad news it seems, conrod is wasted (small end shows some serious wear, cilinder needs to be bored, and i need a new piston and rings. So its all adding up. so far for my limited budget. I'm going to have to save up and shop around smart!

then we started finding metal pieces everywhere. Seemed like tooth from a gear. and sure enough, once the cases where split, this showed up:

and some more, to show the extent of the damage:

its missing 6 teeth! sure PO, 'it ran when i stripped it'. i'm sure it did, just not in 2nd gear!

so, now i need new gaskets, piston, bore + hone job, new conrod +pressing it in. i'm sure there's more i'm just not thinking about right now.
Ow yeah, thankfully my mechanic actually has the gears at home, as spares. so i can get those for about 20 euro's! now THATS a bargain!
Old 12-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Seriously, keep going.

lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread_lion View Post
seriously guys, more than 400 views and only one reply? am i boring you guys that much? :p

Let's see... The bottom end is toast, the top end is toast, the frame (from a different bike) is hacked... This will end up costing you more than a nice bike in the end.

But I will be glad to watch along.
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
Dread_lion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ow come on man, that kind of thinking never got a bike on the road again ;). Its a project remember? Projects are all about spending way too much, and learning on the way to get it done :p.
Its schooling money i tell ya! Haha
Old 12-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
MX2ADV
MX2ADV

Oddometer: 60
Subscribed. Good luck with your project! I'm a big fan of the XL600/XR600; one of the better trail bikes I've owned. Can't wait to see your finished product.
MX2ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #11
africadero
ronny-king

Oddometer: 109
nice project

That's the way to learn things. From what part of the country are you Dread Lion.
'01 JC50Q-7
'05 FYM110
africadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #12
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,837
Not boring but the pull apart bit easy ,I can do it it's the put back together and modify/rebuild bit thats real interesting
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:40 AM   #13
Dread_lion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

@Gavo: i'll be starting on the rebuild soon enough ;). Need to figure out a few things more first.
I'm allready pretty sure i'm going to use the xl's wiring loom, and try and stick a battery on the xl. Also looking into better regulators, as i know the standard ones arent that great!
I'm looking to start assembling the frame somewhere this week or next week, to see what i have and what i dont. Then strip down again for paint.
@africadero: i'm from Antwerp! You?
@mx2adv: thanks man! It will be slow but i'll get there ;)
Old 12-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #14
africadero
ronny-king

Oddometer: 109
@africadero: i'm from Antwerp! You?

I'm from As, the GP mx-track from Genk is my back-garden. I'm currently rebuilding my '89 Honda XRV 650. I like what your doing, just motivate yourself to get that bike back on the road
'01 JC50Q-7
'05 FYM110
africadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #15
Dread_lion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thats a beautiful bike man! got a project on adv too? i would love to see that.
and don't worry, piece by piece i'll bring this one alive again!

more updates! man i'm on a roll. it definitely won't keep going at this pace, but so far so good!
Time to look at the front brake. So, no disc, no bolts, and a master cilinder and calliper i have no idea about the condition. Luckily i had a few wheels lying around i bought for my last bike, that turned out not fitting.
before:

after:

then i started looking at the brake itself. first i thought he bled it all the way, because there was no brake fluid in it. But then i saw there was still some residue left. So i decided to just fill up to see what happened. Guess what, luck was on my side. The brake actually works!

also, my mechanic started looking at the gearbox a bit more. The needle bearing that keeps the shaft of the gears in place, was completely stuck, no way of getting it out. He had to warm it up to 200 degrees C just to be able to take out the shaft. Guess we know what caused the gearbox failure. Luckily he has the needle bearings in stock, and he's only charging me a small price for them.
bad quality pic, but you know what i'm talking about: