Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
vfrpilot OP
Stress Relief Rider

Oddometer: 634
Refurbishing Engine Cases ..... Powder Coating?

Some of you that have done complete restorations, How have you refinished the engine cases? I was wondering if bead blasting and powder coating would be the way to go.
In the case of the cylinder and head, would ceramic be better? Should I ceramic coat everything to match?
vfrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
baroquenride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Forget the powder coating and bead blasting- SERIOUSLY look into a process called vapor blasting and find someone in your area that can do it! It's amazing what it looks like after it's been done and not only that, but it seals the pores in the aluminum so you'll never have any staining after a leak. There's a guy outside of Portland, Or that does it but hopefully you can find someone closer.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,534
Ceramic coating is an insulator , as in hot exhausts. You don't want want to ceramic coat external engine parts.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
+1 on the vapor blasting.

mods n rockers in Montana? i think... and there's the place in Oregon. not sure if there's anyone else doing it for small parts.

dhallilama screwed with this post 12-31-2013 at 01:58 PM
dhallilama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:25 AM   #5
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
one little advice i had to learn the hard way:

i just had my buell/sportster engine cases blasted and powder coated. we (a good friend of mine who is a trained HD mechanic) prepped the cases. they where bolted back together with heat resistant rubber between, every single hole and thread and everything you can imagine was covered in a way, that no sealing surface was affected. that took us many many evenings.
then i dropped the engnine of at a brother in law of a friend, who is doing blasting and coating in the back of is house.
2 weeks later i called him about my engine. to busy, he will do it soon. no problem, i have time.
okay, finally he calls me, he is done. but he said its going to be a bit more expensive because he had some extra work dismantling the cases to get them coated. my heart stopped for a second....sure enough, he forgot about the rubber being heat resistant and was worried it would melt in the oven. no it wouldn´t. powder everywhere. still not sure if we can safe it.

so, if you powder coat your engine, take care. take good care. even if the guy doing the work looks very competent, he might not know what he is doing. we have learned our lesson and now have access to a shop where we can work on our own. its not rocket science.

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #6
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,698
I have a GS500 engine that was cleaned well, wire wheeled, and base/cleared.It has held up really well for the past 6 years.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,261
I powder coated the cases on my H1 build and it came out fine, used the proper high heat tape and aluminum foil for masking.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:00 AM   #8
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 570
I won't go near an engine with a bead blaster. And see no reason to powder coat anything when it's done?

Carbn cleaner, hand held wire brushes, and a few different types of wheel cleaners seem to work ok. I guess I did bead blast the cylinders, but before they got bored and was very careful to mask off the critical areas and not blast near them. I've also chucked up cylinders in the lathe and spun them slowly, using a scothbrite pad to clean between the fins. That worked pretty well too. I don't recall how I did the heads.

I saw a Jaguar inline six get destroyed in a hurry by a guy who bead blasted everything and then "cleaned" it out in a parts cleaner. Things started to get weird when he was breaking it in. He wasn't very happy when he pulled the valve covers off to check the clearances...
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote