ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
nwcolorider OP
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,369
Dual Sport light kit question

My son has a 06 WR 450 and is looking at kits for the bike to make it street legal. He is seeing one on procycle and one at Baja Designs I see there is a bit over a 100 bucks difference in the costs. Any input on these two? Or are there other better ones, or is it easier and cheaper to build his own.
nwcolorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
beernutt
This space for rent

Oddometer: 301
All you have to add to a WR to make it CO legal is-

A brake light switch wired into your existing 3 wire taillight.
A horn of some kind.
DOT tires.
A mirror.

That's really about it. Maybe $30, minus tires.

Alan
06WR450
Plated since, well, 06.
beernutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
jcbikes1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Very easy to do if it is being registered in Colorado. If it has the stock lights all you have to do is get it inspected after you get the rear brake light working, mirror, horn, DOT tires. Do a search on here for more details. Its been covered many times.
jcbikes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
nwcolorider OP
NWCOLO

Looking for input on the kits, I know what it would take if it was stock, it is not. It has no headlight. Previous owner took it off, for bigger light he had, but kept the light. It has a YZ rear fender, no tail light. SO he is looking for a complete wiring harness, rear light, break switch, good quality head light, horn. I know he does not need blinkers, but mom wants them. I know exactly what it needs, just looking for input on those two kits.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcolorider View Post
Looking for input on the kits, I know what it would take if it was stock, it is not. It has no headlight. Previous owner took it off, for bigger light he had, but kept the light. It has a YZ rear fender, no tail light. SO he is looking for a complete wiring harness, rear light, break switch, good quality head light, horn. I know he does not need blinkers, but mom wants them. I know exactly what it needs, just looking for input on those two kits.
I think the input is few use these kits these days, as Colorado law is lax, the kits are overpriced and not terribly innovative in their design and are typically overpriced and clunky.

I you are set on using a kit, the trickdualsport kits are a little less clunky than some of the others and sicasss racing makes a decent kit.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Skeeter1981
Finding myself

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcolorider View Post
My son has a 06 WR 450 and is looking at kits for the bike to make it street legal. He is seeing one on procycle and one at Baja Designs I see there is a bit over a 100 bucks difference in the costs. Any input on these two? Or are there other better ones, or is it easier and cheaper to build his own.
Check out Performance Cycle on Broadway - they carry Baja Design products and some other aftermarket options. You can find it cheaper on the web but if you want to see it first hand the guys there are very helpful.
Skeeter1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,305
Or Sicass racing at sicassracing.com . They make one that matches right up to your harness and plugs right in! All LED and the best prices you will find on light conversions that are complete.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,368
The BD kits use very small guage wiring, and get around it by using a relay. It's an overly complex design which works but it's very common to be chasing down wiring and connection problems with them after a season or two. I never understood why they didn't model it after an OE street legal harness. IMO they aren't up to the rigors of off-road use, the XR650R Electricity forum is full of questions on how to fix broke DS lighting kits. I can't speak for the Procycle kit. Most of us do it from scratch on the dirtbikes and leave off the blinkers. If a plug-n-play kit is what you're after then one of those are probably the best route. From the prices, those companies are very proud of their systems.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,934
Not sure if Trick Dual Sport has offerings for that bike, but I'm quite happy with the products and support from them.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
Not sure if Trick Dual Sport has offerings for that bike, but I'm quite happy with the products and support from them.

I've used Baja Designs on more bikes, they are very easy to install and offer a nice package....but on my first KTM 520 I used the Trick kit, and it was a great solution for that bike. Elegant and simple.

They do make one for the WR450

http://www.trickdualsport.com/yamaha.php
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
.but on pfb's first KTM 520 I used the Trick kit, and it was a great solution for that bike.
Fixed.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
hook0924
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Procycle

I built my own using the parts from procycle with some polysport and some acerbis using the LED signals and tail light. Then wired it all myself using 18ga and wireloom for extra vib resistance. Remember most of these kits will work with either an AC or a DC system or both (can be split), but the horns only like DC.
Caio
EngineerSteve
Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #13
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,439
I also have used Baja Designs kits on several bikes and found them easy to install and they seem to work very good. I hate to agree with Blake but do.

Marc
Old 12-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
yukonjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I used the Tusk brand on my wr450. It was cheaper than baja and in my opinion still a very good product. I mainly use my bike for rough single track with road jumping between trails. After at least 10 good crashes all my lights and signals are still attached and work fine. Just something to consider. Buy at rockymountainatv.com. Baja is better but I'm a cheap bastard and couldn't be happier with tusk. Good luck with your search. If you want some pics of the tusk kit on my 450 just let me know.
yukonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #15
nwcolorider OP
NWCOLO

He went with the Tusk Kit, I left it up to him. It is his bike and his money, he works hard for it raising and selling pigs (BACON!). He wanted to do it himself, he is like that. It is great because he wants to learn what to do, and how to fix it. His street riding will be very limited on the WR, mainly connecting dirt routes, he also has DR. So we will be starting his project Monday and I am starting mine on the shock rebuild, valves and such on the DR Monday. Off to Denver Saturday for the Broncos game, so if any of you want to meet for a beer let me know.