User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #1
zvez OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Northeast Arkansas trip

Planning on doing a ride to Northeast Arkansas in April. I've been in the area before (around Helena), Anyone have suggestions on must see roads?

Thanks!
Chris
zvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,783
South of Harrison, consider Hwy 123 and Hwy 7 both will take you south through the Ozark National Forest. Both roads are fantastic.

South of Mountain Home, take Hwy 341, also known as Push Mountain Road. It's 25 miles of truly great twists and turns.

Most of Hwy 9 in north-central Arkansas is worth the ride, particularly the road between Melbourne and Mountain View.

Also look at Hwy 14 all the way from Mountain View north to the Missouri border.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
zvez OP
Adventurer

Thanks so much for the routes!! I'll put them in the gps!
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
South of Harrison, consider Hwy 123 and Hwy 7 both will take you south through the Ozark National Forest. Both roads are fantastic.

South of Mountain Home, take Hwy 341, also known as Push Mountain Road. It's 25 miles of truly great twists and turns.

Most of Hwy 9 in north-central Arkansas is worth the ride, particularly the road between Melbourne and Mountain View.

Also look at Hwy 14 all the way from Mountain View north to the Missouri border.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvez View Post
Thanks so much for the routes!! I'll put them in the gps!
Chris
Unfortunately, none of the great roads suggested by Mr. Gone are in eastern Arkansas or near Helena.

You don't say what kind of bike you have or the type of riding you do.

If you're into gravel, the roads inside St. Francis National Forest between Helena and Marianna are pretty amazing for that part of the state. Lots of neat overlooks and steep terrain. I believe the TAT goes (or used to go) through there.

You can also cross into Mississippi and take Highway 1 south. It's not particularly curvy or scenic, but it's a neat country road for about as far as you want to ride. Go to Clarksdale and listen to some blues.

Do you have any specific reason to be in that part of the state? Arkansas has some great motorcycling roads, but they are all scattered around the northwest part, north of Little Rock.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
gharnden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Northeast Arkansas

For Northeast Arkansas, Mr Gone was right on.

For Northeast central Ar.:
Batesville up to Cave City, Evening Shade, Ash Flat, Hardy
Batesville to Melbourne, Brockwell, Claico Rock, Mountain View, Shirley, Heber Springs

Of course, one of the best rides in the state is Hwy 7 from Harrison down to Hot Springs but that is not in Northeast Arkansas, rather in North Arkansas down to west central Ar. I have met people from all over the country driving to Arkansas to ride Hwy 7.
gharnden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Unfortunately, none of the great roads suggested by Mr. Gone are in eastern Arkansas or near Helena.

You don't say what kind of bike you have or the type of riding you do.

If you're into gravel, the roads inside St. Francis National Forest between Helena and Marianna are pretty amazing for that part of the state. Lots of neat overlooks and steep terrain. I believe the TAT goes (or used to go) through there.

You can also cross into Mississippi and take Highway 1 south. It's not particularly curvy or scenic, but it's a neat country road for about as far as you want to ride. Go to Clarksdale and listen to some blues.

Do you have any specific reason to be in that part of the state? Arkansas has some great motorcycling roads, but they are all scattered around the northwest part, north of Little Rock.

Jamie
True. And I didn't even consider if he wanted paved roads or dirt roads. That my oversight.

But Helena is in eastern or even south-eastern Arkansas, so I assumed he'd be traveling north of there, where he indicated he'd be.

But you're right, Jamie Z, most of the roads I listed were in northwest Arkansas, but it's only a short ride to most of them.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
zvez OP
Adventurer

HI Guys,
Sorry for the confusion, I'm new on here and just learning the ropes.

I'm looking for paved roads. I will be on a 13 ducati multistrada.

I'll be in Arkansas BECAUSE I'm going to be spending a day or two in Clarksdale as I'm a huge fan and a number of us ride out every year. Last trip I did some riding on Northeast ARK.

We're going to be really flexible and ARK is not that big a state so I will jot down all the roads and figure out a route that works for us.

Thanks for all the tips!
Chris
Old 02-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
zvez OP
Adventurer

The arkansas tourism web page has some recommended mc routes.

Can you guys tell me what speeds you can travel on these roads, as my friends and I like to ride a spirited pace.

http://www.arkansas.com/outdoors/mot...ggested-rides/

Thanks!
Chris
Old 02-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvez View Post
The arkansas tourism web page has some recommended mc routes.

Can you guys tell me what speeds you can travel on these roads, as my friends and I like to ride a spirited pace.

http://www.arkansas.com/outdoors/mot...ggested-rides/

Thanks!
Chris
For most Arkansas roads, I can come close to doubling the recommended speed on the turns. If the yellow sign says 35, I have no problem taking it at 60+ mph, and I'm on a big FJR. Plus, my skills are average at best.

So just watch the yellow signs and you'll very quickly be able to figure your entry speed.

You should have no trouble riding at a "spirited pace" that's above the speed limit, if that's what you want to do.

One word of warning: if you're riding after a recent rain, take it easy for the first few miles on a road to see if gravel has been washed onto the roads. That's pretty common here in the Ozarks.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
zvez OP
Adventurer

Thanks Mr. Gone!
Looking forward to it.
Chris
Old 02-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
For most Arkansas roads, I can come close to doubling the recommended speed on the turns.
That works, but the occasional upcoming turn really is 90 degrees around a fence post - oak or cedar tree and has a damned tight diameter.

Rain or no rain for days, there can be invisible gravel or sand on certain stretches. Just keep a good watch out for places where dirt roads join pavement. Also, do not think a flock of turkeys will scatter in a sane manner if you try 'ride-fly' thru them. You'll end up with 40lbs of dead weight knockin' the crap out of ya.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusswan View Post
That works, but the occasional upcoming turn really is 90 degrees around a fence post - oak or cedar tree and has a damned tight diameter.

Rain or no rain for days, there can be invisible gravel or sand on certain stretches. Just keep a good watch out for places where dirt roads join pavement. Also, do not think a flock of turkeys will scatter in a sane manner if you try 'ride-fly' thru them. You'll end up with 40lbs of dead weight knockin' the crap out of ya.
+1

All great advice for riding in the Ozarks!!!

As for turkeys, rufusswan is dead on. Same with deer. You'll never know what the wildlife will do. Most of the time, though, you'll only encounters them in the mornings or at dusk, but they can be found on the roads at all times of the day or night. Slow down if you don't have good sight lines.