Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
jimrobinette OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Gerbings heated gloves - Do your hands stay dry?

Supposedly there is a water-proof liner on the inside. Does it work effectively? Thinking about those 250 mile days when it never seems to stop raining.
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,796
My Gerbing's gloves have always leaked. The only way to get them to be dry after a 250-mile ride is to use some sort of cover.

Here's Aerostitch's take on covers:

http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/gl...it-covers.html

I've had a pair of these for a couple of Winters, and they work pretty well. One downside is that they're slicker than snot. YMMV.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
dmftoy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
My Gerbings said explicitly to spray with something like campdry if you wanted to wear in the wet. (Said not waterproof).
dmftoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
My Signature Gerbings were waterproof for the first two winters I wore them; I never treated them with anything. They now leak (they've not been damaged in a crash/mistreated).
Old 12-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 940
It doesn't answer your question, but the waterproof liner in my Warm & Safe Ultimate Touring (I think) gloves sure works. Never gotten wet in those. Also, they have a handy wiper on the thumb to clear your face shield on rainy days.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Gerbing gloves are NOT waterproof.

Period.

The website says nothing about them being not waterproof. In fact, they hint at they fact they are.

Something I posted in another Gerbing thread that "GerbingGuy" conveniently ignored while trying to be helpful:

"Actually, it doesn't. The T5 page says nothing about anything not being waterproof but does come with a "Hypora® waterproof, breathable membrane". http://gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/T5.php

The G3s come with a "Waterproof/windproof/breathable Aquatex® liner to provide protection from water and wind (Leather is not waterproof and should be treated with Nikwax Glove proof)"

The description states they come with a waterproof liner. I made the mistake of assuming that a waterproof liner meant just that. It's a "waterproof" liner. The liner isn't waterproof. Gerbing doesn't seal the seams so there's thousands of tiny holes in the "Waterproof/windproof/breathable Aquatex® liner".

The shell of your jacket with a waterproof liner isn't "waterproof", but the jacket is still considered "waterproof". Actually, the fabric on the outside of a bonded waterproof jacket isn't "waterproof", either. The leather on my waterproof Sidi's boots isn't waterproof. So, no, I didn't expect the leather on the exterior of the glove to be "waterproof". However, I did expect the liner to be and I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation based on all the other gear and Gerbing's own descriptions.

Here's all they have to do in order to make things clear:

"Water-resistant/windproof/breathable Aquatex® liner to provide protection from water and wind (Leather is not waterproof and should be treated with Nikwax Glove proof)"

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Xeraux screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 07:23 AM
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
donmac
casual angler

Oddometer: 184
I use the Aero covers with my Gerbing gloves. Gloves are 10+ years old, covers are close to the same.

The LG gloves are snug inside the the LG covers - don't try to put the covers on with your hand in the gloves as that wrist area is too tight. I put the glove in the cover then put my hand in.

I just pulled gloves/covers out this am as I was considered a ride in the rain - but got distracted with other things.

Here's what they look like.

donmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by donmac View Post
I use the Aero covers with my Gerbing gloves. Gloves are 10+ years old, covers are close to the same.

The LG gloves are snug inside the the LG covers - don't try to put the covers on with your hand in the gloves as that wrist area is too tight. I put the glove in the cover then put my hand in.

I just pulled gloves/covers out this am as I was considered a ride in the rain - but got distracted with other things.

Here's what they look like.

I just retired a set of those older Gerbing's gloves after 18 years of use. Mine are Olympia Winter gloves that were wired for heat, and they've given me great service. The leather is finally just flat-out breaking down, so I've begun using a brand-new set that my wife bought me for Christmas a couple of years ago. The newer gloves do not put out as much heat, and they do not have a wind blocking liner like the Olympias did, and the Aerostitch covers are a must when it's raining.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Gerbing gloves are NOT waterproof.
Correct. I have the T5's and have been soaked through in light rain. When I bought them, I didn't expect them to be waterproof - just toasty so I wasn't disappointed.

From the tags mine came with last year (with NO waterproof messages on the package, mind you):
The Hipora tag - "A finished product; Water Proof, breathable, these gloves give pleasantness and protection from damp."
The Gerbings Tag: "Your gloves have a waterproof liner, but your outer glove will need to be treated with a waterproofing agent prior to use in wet conditions."

I employ 2 tactics to help manage it in foul weather... I use barkbusters in winter and spring, and always use the T5's with a silk liner. Onve the gloves are soaked - it can be impossible to get them back on. Oh - I always have a spare pair of gloves on trips as once they are wet, they take forever to dry. Sometimes I'll plug 'em in while not wearing them to help dry them while on the road.

EDIT: I am very happy with them, by the way... excellent cold weather glove and would recommend them.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote