User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
pyplinr OP
Ta Ta Toofey

Oddometer: 40
Thumbs down Durability of OEM Yamaha Super Tenere Side Panniers

So I would like to start off on a positive, the Yamaha OEM side panniers for the Super Tenere 1200 do look great and the S10 looks great with the panniers off (the mounting hardware left on the S10 when the cases are off blends in well)

On the down side, I think the panniers are designed for street use (and extremely light off road use) See pics below.

I met up with 'HighTechCoonAss' last week in Utah for a week of riding and camping in Utah near the Moab area along with other friends from South Lousiana; I had ridden up from San Antonio Texas to meet up.

The second day out we were near the La Sal, Utah area on a BLM maintained track. I was the last in a group of 4 similarly equipped bikes (GS, KLR, VStrom all with some type of panniers) We were traveling at a reasonable speed of around 20mph and ran over a typical dirt track washout, it was about 8 inches deep and 12 inches wide. I hadn't noticed the washout and ran over it full speed, the S10 bottomed out in the rear and I kept on going not even knowing that the pannier had fallen off. About a mile down the trail the group stopped for one of Utah's many scenic photo opportunities and I went to get a drink of water and noticed the right side pannier was gone!!!!! In my head I had first thought that the securement system must have come loose so I went back to find the pannier and put it back on. To my dismay I found the pannier sitting in the middle of the track with the plastic fiber? mounting flange broken off (pic below) in the middle of the track about 10 feet from where the pannier came to rest. WTF????

I temporarily bungee strapped the box back on till I got back to the group. One guy had some '500# para rope' and safety wire (thanks Ricky), so we worked for 30 minutes to re-secure the pannier to the S10 (thanks Ritchie). The "engineering" held throughout the rest of the week and all the way back to San Antonio, TX yesterday.

So... I had a lot of time to think about how pissed off I was until making it back to the Yamaha dealer in San Anton. The parts manager there is a trail rider as well and said that he would assist in doing all he could to help and took all my information and will get back with me. That was yesterday, so we will see...

My thoughts...

If Yamaha wants to seriously pose a threat to the dominance of the GS series for the adventure riding market they will need to start designing and building their accessory equipment to actually be used off road, rather than plastic mounted street cases made to look rugged with light aluminum skinning. I spent around $1300 for the side panniers and mounting hardware, and the first time the bike bottomed out off road the basic structure of the case failed came apart. Not world class...

I would like to think that my pannier was just a manufacturing defect and Yamaha will make this right by offering a new replacement so that I can sell the set online to recoup most of the cost of a new set of actual metal panniers.

Terry

[IMG]
From Yamaha Box
[/IMG]

From Yamaha Box

From Yamaha Box

From Yamaha Box

From Yamaha Box
pyplinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Man, that sucks. I have zero first hand knowledge of their durability but I did look them at the IMS show earlier this year. They did seem a little flimsy. I hope Yamaha does right by you.
1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
pyplinr OP
Ta Ta Toofey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMoto View Post
Man, that sucks. I have zero first hand knowledge of their durability but I did look them at the IMS show earlier this year. They did seem a little flimsy. I hope Yamaha does right by you.
Yeah, me too. I think the parts manager at the local dealer will be of some help, keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
jfslater98
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyplinr View Post
If Yamaha wants to seriously pose a threat to the dominance of the GS series for the adventure riding market they will need to start designing and building their accessory equipment to actually be used off road, rather than plastic mounted street cases made to look rugged with light aluminum skinning.
Indeed. BMW would NEVER make a mistake like that. Those Vario cases are tough...

With their thick, er, plastic cases and um, aluminum, uh panels. Yep, all set for off road. Micatech? Jesse? Psssht, overkill I tell you!
jfslater98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfslater98 View Post
Indeed. BMW would NEVER make a mistake like that. Those Vario cases are tough...

With their thick, er, plastic cases and um, aluminum, uh panels. Yep, all set for off road. Micatech? Jesse? Psssht, overkill I tell you!
Smartass. They are just fine for Starbucks.
1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #6
Too_Tall
The Belgian

Oddometer: 551
While they look good on the bike, they are known to be flimsy. Local dealers here offered the First/Special Edition with sidecases, and were prepared to buy them back. (SE were assembled using stock bikes and parts of FE bikes that the buyers didn't want/sold back)

I knew the cases and mountings were about 1000 EUR on the website. The salesguy offered me 200 EUR in exchange for the whole bunch I said I'd think about it, went back a couple of times, and almost closed the deal. Then, with only my signature missing from the order slip (and him gagging for the deal), I "discovered" the cases were 1000 EUR on the official site. He offered me 800 EUR, and I signed on the spot!

Every time I see a S10 with the OEM cases, I still think "damn that looks good..." though...
Old 05-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #7
EggChaser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Most BMW riders that ride the dirt use the metal cases on frames with the plastic Vario cases considered to be more of a useful/stylish road case. That said I have had my Varios fully loaded doing up to 50mph on forest trails and not had an issue. I have also bottomed out the suspension jumping my loaded GS over hump-back bridges without problem.

However I do vaguely remember that some GS riders have posted in the past that the lugs that attach the case to the seat platform have sometimes sheared in a similar way to your experience. So I suspect that whoever makes them plastic cases and dirt riding do not really mix. Will be interested if you get yours replaced - as I suspect that BMW would find a way to indicate that the Varios are not designed for really rough terrain which is why the Adv GS has metal cases.
EggChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,462
Keep us posted Terry...good write up! Here is our paracord / SS tie wire rig up!

The left side worked great for our beer run to Moab!!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
pyplinr OP
Ta Ta Toofey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfslater98 View Post

So I hear what you're saying about any plastic boxes in general...

But for the 12+ months I waited for the pre-ordered bike to show up in the US I was bombarded by Yamaha with printed material, video clips and action shots of the S10 running through the deserts, trails and backcountry touting how great the S10 would be (all shots included the OEM side panniers hanging on the back by the way) I'm just curious if they tested all the "add on" equipment in real life scenarios; for example, side pannier loaded with 20+ lbs of camping equipment while taking on rough terrain.

Just a little disapppointed here is all, it fell off literally on the first good lick. If this was 24 months into use with numerous hard hits (or a laydown) I would be more understanding.

The bike, by the way is excellent. It really is a great ride with no complaints from me...
Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 411
Did you have quite a bit in 'em and on 'em? I like the integration with the bike but yeah, they do look like mostly city boy bags. Fortunately, my very limited Dakar type skills will probably allow me to run these without issue anywhere I'll go.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
I read the Cycle World comparison on the Tenere/GS/KTM, and they were fairly impressed with the cases. Said the Yamaha cases stood up to all the abuse they threw at them well, but the BMW case broke on them during the test.

Is there a "real world" standard for how much weight a case should be able to carry? I've only seen the volume spec, not a weight rating. I'm sure they will rate it at like 15lbs carrying capacity so they can alway tell you it's your fault for breaking it becaue you overloaded it. But what would be a good real world standard weight capacity? Meaning a good bag should be able to handle this much weight, but over that is too much for even a good bag?

Hopefully Yamaha takes care of you. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.
CafeRacer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
jefmad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyplinr View Post
So I hear what you're saying about any plastic boxes in general...

But for the 12+ months I waited for the pre-ordered bike to show up in the US I was bombarded by Yamaha with printed material, video clips and action shots of the S10 running through the deserts, trails and backcountry touting how great the S10 would be (all shots included the OEM side panniers hanging on the back by the way) I'm just curious if they tested all the "add on" equipment in real life scenarios; for example, side pannier loaded with 20+ lbs of camping equipment while taking on rough terrain.

Just a little disapppointed here is all, it fell off literally on the first good lick. If this was 24 months into use with numerous hard hits (or a laydown) I would be more understanding.

The bike, by the way is excellent. It really is a great ride with no complaints from me...
And in an ad I saw a pickup drive up a big circular ramp surrounded by fire. Somehow I still don't think that's what I should do in the pickup, even though it was in the ad. Marketing and reality very rarely meet.
jefmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #13
pyplinr OP
Ta Ta Toofey

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefmad View Post
And in an ad I saw a pickup drive up a big circular ramp surrounded by fire. Somehow I still don't think that's what I should do in the pickup, even though it was in the ad. Marketing and reality very rarely meet.

Ha... So you think since the S10 was marketed as an adventure bike, it shouldn't have to perform offroad?

Regardless of hype and marketing, a $500 OEM pannier shouldn't break in half and fall off from the bike the first bump hit along the trail. I wasn't driving a circular ramp around a fire or crossing the Sahara, I was just going down a dirt track at 20mph.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
pyplinr OP
Ta Ta Toofey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
Did you have quite a bit in 'em and on 'em? I like the integration with the bike but yeah, they do look like mostly city boy bags. Fortunately, my very limited Dakar type skills will probably allow me to run these without issue anywhere I'll go.

No, around 20 lbs. like recommended..

I'm not a world crosser either; this could have happened on the street as well, just imagine a big pothole in the middle of the street. I think it could have had the same effect. (i.e. the rear suspension bottomed out)
Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #15
pyplinr OP
Ta Ta Toofey

Question Request from Yamaha

The local dealer parts manager called today letting me know that someone from Yamaha quality control requested pics of the damaged pannier, I sent him an email with the pic links... Stay tuned