User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Bad-ass. I really like the chopped back, that opens up all kinds of possibilities.

I've got a '73 Dodge Tradesman van I'm using for similar purposes. Same engine and it looks like the same chassis.

For a good sealing tape, check out Permabond. It's used on RV roofs and supposedly lasts for 10 years when exposed to the elements. Not cheap but it's worked great for me.

Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #17
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,948
Thanks Ghostman, I will check out the tape.
Quick question, what mpg do you average?

Hard at work here. It snowed.
I scored a piece of flat windshield glass(21X48) today for the rear window-$10. Measured up the original door, frame and screen and it will fit with room to spare so tomorrow I will start building the framework.

The passenger side wall is warped outward by the rear wheel well...gotta dig in there first thing.

Snowing again and weather person calling for 15 deg F tonight.
Fingers getting cold.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #18
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Thanks Ghostman, I will check out the tape.
Quick question, what mpg do you average?
I get about 13mpg highway. That's with a 15 person Maxivan, bigger than most vans but smaller than you've got. I've got the 3 speed 727 transmission, probably same as you. I need to rebuild the carb and am planning on switching to an e-fan to gain a bit of mileage.

I was wrong on the tape name, it's Eternabond. (http://www.eternabond.com/)

Here's a similar thing: http://bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=16517
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #19
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,528
I had an 83 Dodge single wheel 1t cargo van. It had a 360 with a 2bbl carb and a magnum cam. I got 17 mpg frequently. Driving the speed limit.

I also put 33" tires on it.

I would guess that with the extra frontage on a class C, 2 more wheels and more weight you'll be lucky to get 12.

dirtydeeds screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 10:17 PM
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #20
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Guys,
That 2 barrel carb is a simple rebuild. I had two units and chose the simpler one that did not have a bowel vent, anyway there's nothing in there except a power valve a cheezy accelerator pump and a float valve. In the process I stripped off the pollution canister connections

I blew everything out, wired what ever I could and used carb cleaner on all the passage ways. Dissassemble yours first before you lay out $50 for the kit.

My power valve was working and the accelerator pump diaphram was fine so I bought a separate float valve for $6 and called it good. The gaskets were fine.

The air cleaner stud helps hold the carb top on so don't forget to unscrew it.
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 12-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #21
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

I think for the application we have, a big 2bbl is far superior to a 4bbl.

I never had any problem with mine.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #22
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Deeds,
Thinking I won't need the duals now but I have no experience on eliminating one wheel on each side.

More to learn.
Any ideas?
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 12-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #23
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

I think you can put a regular 8 bolt wheel on it. (From a similar era 3/4t truck.) I've never tried though.

It may look a bit funny with 2 different style rims. Also, if you have a flat you'll need to carry one of the dual rims - just in case its a front blow out.

If you're driving through a state with retentive DOT guys, they may have a problem with it too, as your vehicle was designed to be operated with specific equipment.

You could always take off the outside tires for a longer trip, to see if there is any noticeable benefit.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #24
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,496
There check those out for DIY stoves made out of propane tanks.

http://kelowna.en.craigslist.ca/tls/3435296205.html

Back to your 3 burners/oven combo, that's what I have in the house, been cooking with that for 15 years now. Haven't installed my old gas range,very heavy need to reinforce the floors first. But the propane RV works just fine altough I had to add a thick steel plate in the oven, much better heat distribution=less burning of the pizzas.

Also mine doesn't have much insulation on the bottom, will get hot enough to burn whatever it is mounted on, same with the sides so watch out when re-installing, leave lots of vented air space around it.

Careful with them bloody stoves, there is a very crispy one on the scrap pile at the local dump right now, second "crispy" one I see there.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #25
syntec4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
Great thread.

I made this one, then when visitors to my workshop noticed it they wanted one. So I've made a few of them now. I used a taller gas bottle for my workshop as it's easy to chuck a 2' offcut length straight in the top. The small ones work just as well but need more feeding. When its really cold i get mine going with wood then I chuck some coal in too and it stays hot for hours.
This pic is outside when I test fire them to burn off the paint. It's then used inside and the collar simply pushes into the base of the 125mm Stainless flue liner I salvaged for a chimney installer.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #26
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
My aunt once had an older Ford Econoline motorhome that was converted from duels to single rear. Someone got new rims and used a wider tire that had a higher load rating then the original. Only did it to the back. Don't know size but the inside sidewall was about in the middle of where the inner tire should be and the outer sidewall just a little short of where the outer sidewall would have been. For a spare they just carried one front wheel (which could be jammed onto the rear in a pinch. I never had it apart and it has been way too many years since I had wheels off a duelly, don't remember if there was anything wierd about the coining of the wheels so they would bolt together as a pair on the axle. That conical lugnut thing needs to be checked out to make sure it is a viable swap.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #27
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
My aunt once had an older Ford Econoline motorhome that was converted from duels to single rear. Someone got new rims and used a wider tire that had a higher load rating then the original. Only did it to the back. Don't know size but the inside sidewall was about in the middle of where the inner tire should be and the outer sidewall just a little short of where the outer sidewall would have been. For a spare they just carried one front wheel (which could be jammed onto the rear in a pinch. I never had it apart and it has been way too many years since I had wheels off a duelly, don't remember if there was anything wierd about the coining of the wheels so they would bolt together as a pair on the axle. That conical lugnut thing needs to be checked out to make sure it is a viable swap.
Broncho,
Guess I need to take the wheels off anyway just to loosen everything up and learn to change them.
At this point I need a jack that can handle things.
Thanks,
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #28
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
There check those out for DIY stoves made out of propane tanks.

http://kelowna.en.craigslist.ca/tls/3435296205.html

Back to your 3 burners/oven combo, that's what I have in the house, been cooking with that for 15 years now. Haven't installed my old gas range,very heavy need to reinforce the floors first. But the propane RV works just fine altough I had to add a thick steel plate in the oven, much better heat distribution=less burning of the pizzas.

Also mine doesn't have much insulation on the bottom, will get hot enough to burn whatever it is mounted on, same with the sides so watch out when re-installing, leave lots of vented air space around it.

Careful with them bloody stoves, there is a very crispy one on the scrap pile at the local dump right now, second "crispy" one I see there.

H6669,
Thanks for the advice, I'll post a couple of pics of the stove when I dig it out of the snow...gotta make a dump run tomorrow to get rid of the old roof and a couple of windows. The stove link is cool, gotta make a decision soon to get heat inside.

Dug in here...

Pulled this out, better now...

Meanwhile in the living room...rocks and grills.

The nylon portion is broken in pieces...gotta do something there on the top.
bill

Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 09:20 PM
Old 12-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #29
Jon Huber
wanna be

Oddometer: 11
Possibly park it til Spring and start your training.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #30
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,496
I think I have the very same antique broom, mine is display only now. Yes I do...had to run out and check.

Eh! Get that gas stove under cover,if the white stuff melts you may get the insulation wet and it may (will) pack and then be useless. Took me over a week to restore my old gas range because of that and those you can somehow take apart even if they are not really designed to be.

Even the gas fridge....I am not big on them but they certainly have a market value. New ones are pretty expensive and where I come from hunters are always on the lookout for them to put in their cabins. There may be a little filter screen at the gas inlet, if you are inclined to try it to see if you can get some $$$$ for it, make sure the filter screen is clean.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: