Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #31
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave View Post
.....But, the XT500! I've owned three SR500's and would like another, or the XT500. That engine thumps, and the bikes are good sliders (the SR is the same frame). I can only imagine what that XT suspension is like on a rough trail!.....

I still remember the first time I ever laid eyes on an XT500. It must have been about 1977 and somebody blew past my KD175 on a muddy two track leaving the most glorious roost I had ever seen. I little ways down that road I found the guy's headlight laying in the mud. Remember the little spring clips holding round headlights in the shell? When I finally caught up with the guy at a creek crossing to return his headlight he was on a brand new XT500. It was the coolest dual sport I had seen at the time. Then my buddy bought a new DT125 with that monoshock and my Kawasaki days were over.....
Old 12-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #32
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I still remember the first time I ever laid eyes on an XT500. It must have been about 1977 and somebody blew past my KD175 on a muddy two track leaving the most glorious roost I had ever seen. I little ways down that road I found the guy's headlight laying in the mud. Remember the little spring clips holding round headlights in the shell? When I finally caught up with the guy at a creek crossing to return his headlight he was on a brand new XT500. It was the coolest dual sport I had seen at the time. Then my buddy bought a new DT125 with that monoshock and my Kawasaki days were over.....
I've got 3 TT500s in various forms/builds. The motors still make a good, laid back dual sport. Electrics are composed of 3 parts, so repair is easy. And, takes all of 30 minutes to check the valves, camchain, and any other adjustment (as in, 30 minutes for ALL of it). Love the old tanks. Wish more of the today's stuff was as simple to work on/ride.

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #33
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
I remember my 2 DT250's with fondness. Original 1968 DT-1 250, and later, a 1972 DT250 (red). I think they were the first decent dual sports from Japan. Had friends withe the AT-1 125, CT-1 175, and a DT-360.
One of my favorite bikes I have owned was my 1978 DT250, couldnt kill it!
Wish I still had it sold it 15 years ago for 300 bucks and it ran fine, the buyer destroyed it in 2 weeks and I had it for 8 years.
Always wanted an XT500 though...
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #34
2wheelsgone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I have a 78 and a 79 XT500. When I go out for a day ride just to have a good time, I always jump on one of them first. Like most of you all, I rode them in the late 70's and have never lost my love for them. Still a great dual sport for the back roads, dirt and creeks in my neck of the woods.

2007 Road Glide
1995 R1100GS
1991 XR250R (plated)
1979 XT500
2wheelsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #35
xaviator
Luv Vintage Thumpers

Oddometer: 8
Great old-school DR500 not street legal unless I find an SP500 from

I love my '81 DR500, awesome bike, must know the procedure to start her, if I can find an SP500 frame I will make it street legal. In Canada, the bike has to have a frame that is street legal, ugh. My DR500 has lots of torque and a comfy seat for my old body. Kinda like riding a Man-Chair in the woods and with my custom paint, I get lots of comments. In regards to no updates on the DR650, if it works well and is reliable, leave it alone. They're dirt bikes that are street legal, not GP bikes, I like the old school stuff, I think it's nice to see something that's moving a little slower than the auto industry or computer industry.

1983 Suzuki DR 125 (restored and kept running)
1981 Suzuki DR 500 (restored and ridden)

xaviator screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 06:26 PM Reason: adding bikes I own.
xaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #36
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,691
About 1983-4 I traded a 1980 Suzukin GS450ST for a new leftover 1982 Suzuki SP500. Liked it and kept it for almost 20 years. That seat, other than some bicycle seats I've ridden on, was the absolute worst butt torture rack I've put a cheek on@!! Mine was pretty temperamental about starting. I still think a 500cc is a great size compromise for a motorcycle. Why the hell are they all dissapearing?? I know Honda is going to sell a new 500cc series of street bikes for 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaviator View Post
I love my '81 DR500, awesome bike, must know the procedure to start her, if I can find an SP500 frame I will make it street legal. In Canada, the bike has to have a frame that is street legal, ugh. My DR500 has lots of torque and a comfy seat for my old body. Kinda like riding a Man-Chair in the woods and with my custom paint, I get lots of comments. In regards to no updates on the DR650, if it works well and is reliable, leave it alone. They're dirt bikes that are street legal, not GP bikes, I like the old school stuff, I think it's nice to see something that's moving a little slower than the auto industry or computer industry.

1983 Suzuki DR 125 (restored and kept running)
1981 Suzuki DR 500 (restored and ridden)
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #37
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
I've only ridden an XR500R, IT250 and DT250. At the time all 3 blew me away, especially the XR, easy to slide around corners on gravel roads.

But the bike I wish had not been dropped is the Husky TE610E/630. WTF Husky was thinking by putting the BMW-pig-origin bike on the market I don't understand.
A lot of the good bikes that have disappeared are due to the bean counters and marketing guys. The TE630 was 'disappeared' as BMW probably told Husky to cut down on the number of platforms and reuse as much BMW tech as feasible.

My perfect dual-sport (not dirtbike or roadbike) would probably be the TE610 (324 lb wet), but built by Honda.
With an aftermarket saddle and headlight, the TE could do it all except really tight single track and two-up distance work, and off-road it is at least as competent as the DRZ400, let alone any of the bigger Jap dual sports. And it was fun to ride with a lot of personality, something you could never accuse a KLR of.

Here in SE Asia we are still riding 'classic' bikes, at least as far as technology goes. I've ridden the local XR200, and while it has real easy servicing and a great vintage feeling motor, torquey (for a 200) and a bit raw, the riding position is old-school dirt bike, very close coupled and not that comfortable for me seated or standing.

I'm riding a YBR125G as a commuter / touring / dual sport, which is very much a 70s-style dual sport in concept and design with some 21st century tech thrown at it. Twin shocks, carb, air-cooled, it works really well for what it is, but does not come close to state of the art when you are pushing it with limited suspension travel and action.

Most folks are still on updated Honda-cub derived bikes, followed by 'business' bikes, usually based on 70s and 80s technology, single cylinders with twin- or 4-shock rear suspension (for carrying loads) in 125 to 175 cc capacity.
Riding any of these makes the YBR feel totally modern and sophisticated...
So no thanks, I'd prefer at least some modern tech.
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #38
ntm1973
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
DR350se

There are a lot of cool old bikes, especially if you count the stuff Europe had.....but I wish Suzuki still made the dr350se.

Why did Suzuki stop making the DR350se? It was relatively light, 6 speeds, no radiator to break and had valves that could be adjusted without taking out the cams. I know a lot of guys like the drz400 but I'd rather have a dr350se with a suspension upgrade.
ntm1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #39
mojave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Sure seems to be love for the XT/TT 500 out there. Hard to find them in good shape in Kali now. I see pretty ragged out ones for 1500-2000 on CL, I would pay some bucks for a clean TT500 just for the experience and pleasure of looking at it in my garage, pretty bikes.

I would like to ride or own a DR/SP 500 sometime but those are even rarer. Don't have direct experience with the DR/SP but the XT and especially the SR is notorious for starting. The SR have this complicated pumper carb, I kind of hated them. I learned the DRILL on my first SR and it all got to be a subconscious ritual - pull the compression release, open throttle, few thru a few times to clear the intake/head, let out compression release and kick thru till the lever gets hard, pull in compression release and retract kick lever, Now the KICK. With compression lever in kick smoothly and at the 3/4 point let the compression lever out. A MIRACLE occurs and the bike is thumping away. Using the little cam position window more or less does the same thing but it doesn't work at night without a flashlight, and clearing the intake, as XR owners know, really helps out. BTW, my SR's routinely got 60-65 MPG.

I assume the Honda XL500 engine is in some way counterbalanced. I could cruise along on the freeway at 70 on mine and it all seemed pretty composed. The first time I rode my SR500 on the highway I had various parts of my anatomy vibrated either into sleep or arousal. I mean it was a new level - I had ridden a 750 Bonneville for ever and thought I was used to vibes, you had to laugh.

I did own a DT250 for a while, late 70's forget which year. I thought it was OK but so much heavier than the 175 with not much more power.

A bike I'm interested in is the Honda MT175. This follows the Yamaha 175 format - take the 125 and put a 175 topend on it. 200 pounds and 20 HP, what's not to like? And I think the Elsinore styling is a notch up on the Yamaha. Apparently the MT250 was a heavy mutha.
2012 NC700X (HonDog)
2008 KTM 990 Adventure
mojave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #40
XT_Driftwood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
I would add the MZ 660 Baghira. I lusted for one for years but never owned one. Came close the last year they were available, but my dealer could only get one with sumo wheels.

It had that wonderful XT motor, only available stateside in the Raptor ATV from Yamaha. Europe had the XT660R and the Tenere, but from what I've read the Baggy was a more capable dualsport off road.

I still look for one on CL regularly.
'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - the bane of my existence
XT_Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #41
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojave View Post
I owned a 1982 XL500 that was a decent highway capable DS bike but doubt it would fare that well in a back to back comparison with say a DR650.
Having owned both an XT500 and an XL500, and having ridden a DR650 on the same terrain, I would have to say the Suzuki is a superior street bike and sucks off road. The XT and XL were so much easier to ride in the nasty stuff. I would not want to go back to mechanical ignition points, drum brakes, six volt electrics, and I certainly don't miss the convoluted oil change procedure of the XT, but as far as dual sport use the Yamaha and the Honda were functionally excellent.

I rode my XT to Alaska and to Mexico, and rode the XL on tour with a Suzuki GT550 and a Honda CX500 and never slowed them down. I wish we still had a 300 pound dual sport with the low end torque of a 500 cc engine and enough flywheel to keep chugging through the slow stuff. The little WR250 is superior in every way to my old 500s, but doesn't have the power off idle.

Of course, today we have the KTM EXC500 so you can have it all for a price. I think I paid $1500 new for my 1977 XT500. ($5,500 in today's money, according to inflation calculator)

montesa_vr screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 03:44 PM
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #42
stevemd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I owned 2 XT500's. I think the first was a '76 and the second a '78. Great bikes. Left one outside all winter, started right up when Spring came around. Of course we didn't have crap gas back then....
stevemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #43
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by HI378 View Post
My first bike was a TS 185, but the DT 400 was areally nice bike for dual sporting.
I miss all my 2 stroke dual sports, and I pretty much owned most of them. I just miss 2 strokes on the street in general.....
Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #44
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,085
Count me as another former TS-185 owner. I did some enduros and hare scramble on it and a ton of woods riding. Great bike and tiny compared to today's bikes. Almost indestructible too. I would not want to go back though. Too addicted to the power of my KTM 690! I would love to have a direct injection two-stroke street legal dual sport. If that ever happens and they make a flickable two-stroke that makes power like my 690 then I will dump the 690! I have no love for cams and valves!
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #45
wyowillys46
F=mA

Oddometer: 2,085
I've got to chime in with the NX250 as I'm biased and smitten with mine. Water-cooled, twin over head cam, six speed, 60MPG. The only downsides being a smallish tank and the oddball 16" rear wheel.